Considering DO School with clinical neurology experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kayemcee11

Hi all,

First time poster here. I graduated last year (2016) with a B.A. in neuroscience and psychology. I am currently working as a clinical research assistant and study coordinator in the neurology department (movement disorders clinic) of a hospital. I also did an undergraduate internship in the ataxia unit/neurology department of a large highly-ranked research hospital. My initial intention was to get my PhD in neuroscience research after gaining some real-world experience through my job, but having spent time both through my internship and my current job, I really like the clinical setting and enjoy working directly with patients. My goal is still to ultimately end up in neurology research, but I really love the clinical/hospital setting more than a lab-centric setting. So, I've started to consider looking into DO school, and specializing in neurology later on.

I am unsure about a few things though, and would like some additional unbiased advice. This is a very general question, but are my qualifications good enough to make me a decent candidate? I graduated with a 3.4 GPA from a small liberal arts school. The majority of my classes were in biology, psychology, statistics, anatomy/physiology, medical ethics, and research methods (besides the core courses of sociology and English). All my grades were in the B+ to A range, with the exception of chemistry and organic chemistry, both of which I got Cs in. I published 2 papers while in undergrad, assisted in the design and application of a funded research study using transcranial direct current stimulation as well as the design of a pediatric ataxia scale while at my internship, and am currently coordinating 2 active clinical trials as well as 3 other non-pharmaceutical studies at my current hospital. I have not yet taken the MCAT yet, however I did take the GRE last year when considering MS and PhD programs.

Basically, do I have any shot at getting into a DO program with my less-than-stellar chemistry grades? That's really what I feel is my weak spot, but I'm not sure if that's a complete no-go or whether my clinical experience and other good grades could help off-set that. I am considering two options:
1.) Re-take chemistry for a better grade (to be honest when I took them at my undergrad institution I was experiencing some neurological issues (chronic migraines) so I had a tougher-than-usual time but wasn't allowed to retake the courses because I didn't actually fail them, but I'm now on treatment and feel I could do much better)
2.) Get an MS in neuroscience before applying to DO school to again make up for the 2 bad grades and prove I am capable of graduate level work. Would this help or would it be a waste of time and money?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

First time poster here. I graduated last year (2016) with a B.A. in neuroscience and psychology. I am currently working as a clinical research assistant and study coordinator in the neurology department (movement disorders clinic) of a hospital. I also did an undergraduate internship in the ataxia unit/neurology department of a large highly-ranked research hospital. My initial intention was to get my PhD in neuroscience research after gaining some real-world experience through my job, but having spent time both through my internship and my current job, I really like the clinical setting and enjoy working directly with patients. My goal is still to ultimately end up in neurology research, but I really love the clinical/hospital setting more than a lab-centric setting. So, I've started to consider looking into DO school, and specializing in neurology later on.

I am unsure about a few things though, and would like some additional unbiased advice. This is a very general question, but are my qualifications good enough to make me a decent candidate? I graduated with a 3.4 GPA from a small liberal arts school. The majority of my classes were in biology, psychology, statistics, anatomy/physiology, medical ethics, and research methods (besides the core courses of sociology and English). All my grades were in the B+ to A range, with the exception of chemistry and organic chemistry, both of which I got Cs in. I published 2 papers while in undergrad, assisted in the design and application of a funded research study using transcranial direct current stimulation as well as the design of a pediatric ataxia scale while at my internship, and am currently coordinating 2 active clinical trials as well as 3 other non-pharmaceutical studies at my current hospital. I have not yet taken the MCAT yet, however I did take the GRE last year when considering MS and PhD programs.

Basically, do I have any shot at getting into a DO program with my less-than-stellar chemistry grades? That's really what I feel is my weak spot, but I'm not sure if that's a complete no-go or whether my clinical experience and other good grades could help off-set that. I am considering two options:
1.) Re-take chemistry for a better grade (to be honest when I took them at my undergrad institution I was experiencing some neurological issues (chronic migraines) so I had a tougher-than-usual time but wasn't allowed to retake the courses because I didn't actually fail them, but I'm now on treatment and feel I could do much better)
2.) Get an MS in neuroscience before applying to DO school to again make up for the 2 bad grades and prove I am capable of graduate level work. Would this help or would it be a waste of time and money?

1) A 3.4 is not low for DO schools. Is your sGPA around the same?
2) Re-taking is a waste now because most DO's don't do grade replacement anymore, and your GPA isn't really hurting too bad.
3) Waste of money. Unless it's an SMP or similar thing at a medical school, Master's before medical school don't do a whole lot to prove you can handle medical school work since the grades in those programs are usually massively inflated. My advice, if you have the money to do so, is to take 12-16 credits in a DIY post-bacc taking all upper-level hard sciences to "redeem" your low chem grade. A strong showing on the MCAT will silence doubt about your undergrad orgo grades. As will A's in a DIY, upper-level PB. I think you can spend the next year taking 3-4 science classes while studying for the MCAT, score 505+ on the MCAT (510+ if you really want to be strong) and apply next cycle. Tbh if you ace your PB and the MCAT (510+) you can try your hand at your in-state and lower-tier MD's as well.

1) A 3.4 is not low for DO schools. Is your sGPA around the same?
2) Re-taking is a waste now because most DO's don't do grade replacement anymore, and your GPA isn't really hurting too bad.
3) Waste of money. Unless it's an SMP or similar thing at a medical school, Master's before medical school don't do a whole lot to prove you can handle medical school work since the grades in those programs are usually massively inflated. My advice, if you have the money to do so, is to take 12-16 credits in a DIY post-bacc taking all upper-level hard sciences to "redeem" your low chem grade. A strong showing on the MCAT will silence doubt about your undergrad orgo grades. As will A's in a DIY, upper-level PB. I think you can spend the next year taking 3-4 science classes while studying for the MCAT, score 505+ on the MCAT (510+ if you really want to be strong) and apply next cycle. Tbh if you ace your PB and the MCAT (510+) you can try your hand at your in-state and lower-tier MD's as well.

Thank you for your input, it's appreciated. My sGPA is 3.2, so it is relatively around the same. I was definitely considering some PB work. My local in-state university offers a 12-credit PB certificate in neuroscience, is that something that could help? It is all upper-level science classes with a specific focus on neurology and neurosciences in particular.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your input, it's appreciated. My sGPA is 3.2, so it is relatively around the same. I was definitely considering some PB work. My local in-state university offers a 12-credit PB certificate in neuroscience, is that something that could help? It is all upper-level science classes with a specific focus on neurology and neurosciences in particular.
I guess I can't speak for certain on how that would be viewed...but when I was considering an SMP the advisors at medical schools I spoke with really wanted to see the basic sciences you'd get in the first two years of medical school, like biochem, physio, pharm, genetics, etc. I would say save neuro for your research interests in the future/med school, but for the purposes of showing you can "handle med school" to really consider taking the courses you would take in med school pre-clinical years.

. My sGPA is 3.2, so it is relatively around the same. I was definitely considering some PB work. My local in-state university offers a 12-credit PB certificate in neuroscience, is that something that could help? It is all upper-level science classes with a specific focus on neurology and neurosciences in particular.

Take upper division science courses as you described above to rase your sGPA above a 3.25. OR, pursue an SMP but be wary that an SMP is essentially your final chance, if you screw that up and get a <3.5 it can really damage your chances.

If you do well on your MCAT and you raise your sGPA or kill your SMP, apply to your state MD schools as well as DO schools. If you are from CA or another high percentage pre-med state you should also look at non-state MD schools outside of your state like Quinnipac that fit your application (eg. it wouldn't be the best decision to apply to HowardU SOM if you didn't fit their mission). I discourage applying to California Northstate SOM as per the sound advice of @gyngyn .

Hi all,

Your C's and GPA will not keep you out of some MD schools, much less any DO school.

So quit fussing and start working on the MCAT!

Reactions: 2 users
Your C's and GPA will not keep you out of some MD schools, much less any DO school.

So quit fussing and start working on the MCAT!

That's good to know, I was very concerned about the C's because I did apply to PhD programs out of undergrad and got rejected from all of them. I guess it worked out in the end since I decided to probably not take that route anyway.

Hi! All,

I am posting here for the first time. I am currently in 3rd year doing B.S Psychology with cGPA 3.0 and sGPA 2.7. I have completed 35 crs of Phy, Inorg Chem, Bio. Not taken MCAT yet. My goal is to become a DO in Psychiatry.

I am for sure am not able decide between:

1. doing an MS Psychology to boost (or show to the ADCOM) that I can get a better GPA and

2. take more DIY science classes to boost my science GAP to at least 3.3 to 3.5.

3. Also I must take Orgo and Bio-chem classes to meet pre-med reqs, and when I should take them? before starting the MS program (if I go that route) or after?

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance

Hi! All,

I am posting here for the first time. I am currently in 3rd year doing B.S Psychology with cGPA 3.0 and sGPA 2.7. I have completed 35 crs of Phy, Inorg Chem, Bio. Not taken MCAT yet. My goal is to become a DO in Psychiatry.

I am for sure am not able decide between:

1. doing an MS Psychology to boost (or show to the ADCOM) that I can get a better GPA and

2. take more DIY science classes to boost my science GAP to at least 3.3 to 3.5.

3. Also I must take Orgo and Bio-chem classes to meet pre-med reqs, and when I should take them? before starting the MS program (if I go that route) or after?

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance

No to #1. Doing a graduate degree in psychology isn't going to prepare you at all for medical school coursework, and it won't improve the competitiveness of your application.
Yes to #2. The <3.0 sGPA is an application killer.
Do #3 as soon as you're ready, and excel in them.

Also, you can't get a "DO in Psychiatry." You get a DO (a general medical degree), and then you can choose to specialize in psychiatry afterward by completing four-year residency training.