Consistency of ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is better for summer?

• Clinical AND non-clinical volunteering at the same 2 locations for 2-3 summers

• Teaching for the next summer, research program the next, or vice versa (diverse)

Results are only viewable after voting.

mingnin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm deciding what to do over the summer, I was wondering how important consistency and commitment towards your ECs are relative to doing a range of novel and diverse things.

For example, let's say you have two choices for your summer:

1. Clinical AND non-clinical volunteering at the same 2 locations for 2-3 summers
2. Teaching job for the next summer, research program the next, or any combination of different commitments.

Which looks better? Are they viewed differently across private/public top/mid/lower tier schools? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical exposure is extremely important but I don’t get the scenarios here. You should be doing something meaningful during the summer like research and during the year volunteer for 4 hours/week

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Clinical exposure is extremely important but I don’t get the scenarios here. You should be doing something meaningful during the summer like research and during the year volunteer for 4 hours/week

This

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t mention this in my original post but I do research and volunteering over the school semester anyway.

I do both things during the school semester, I’m just wondering if consistency in how I spend my summers would win out over doing a couple isolated but diverse set of things for the next few summers

I do both things during the school semester, I’m just wondering if consistency in how I spend my summers would win out over doing a couple isolated but diverse set of things for the next few summers

Since you’re volunteering and doing research during the year, you can definitely do anything you want during the summer. Teaching is something you should do, traveling is also good.