Copies of recommendation letters ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothless rufus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my D.O. recommender, sent me no originals, only copies of his letter! He stated in his email correspondence that this would be the case (?) so I didn't feel it would be a good idea to request originals, which I requested when I initially asked him. Is this severely frowned upon by any schools? I know some say that copies are ok, but still...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I suppose its the content of the letter that is more important than whether or not its the original vs a photocopy.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
almost all LOR are copies. I sent mine to my undergrad and then they sent them out in packets. I think schools expect to get copies

I think as long as you don't personally mail out your LOR's than you should be fine. I believe most schools want some official service to send your LOR's vs. applicants sending them. i guess they're afraid of applicants making fake LOR's to look more impressive. Why would we do that though? :)

toothless rufus said:
Ok, so my D.O. recommender, sent me no originals, only copies of his letter! He stated in his email correspondence that this would be the case (?) so I didn't feel it would be a good idea to request originals, which I requested when I initially asked him. Is this severely frowned upon by any schools? I know some say that copies are ok, but still...

Shouldn't be a problem.

dr.z said:
Shouldn't be a problem.

I hope not! If it is, I have a couple back-up MDs to write me a letter, but I really wanted to use the DO one, since those are the programs I am applying to, and I don't know how much weight having a DO letter has.