Cornell vs UC-Davis: Dairy and Food Animal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitKatDVM

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm a senior animal science student with a deep interest in pursuing dairy production medicine. I've been accepted into both Cornell and UC-Davis c/o 2023. Now I'm struggling to choose between the two: both great schools, but can you answer some questions that might help me decide?

I've heard that most of Davis's dairy work comes out of Tulane, 3 hours away from the main campus. Is this true?

Which school has better opportunities and resources for food animal, specifically dairy, focused students?

What's it like to white-coat as a first year at Davis?

Problem-based learning (Cornell- I loved this when I did Summer College here) vs lecture-based (UC-Davis)?

Also, can anyone speak to the combined DVM/PhD programs and research opportunities at these schools? I did loads of research as an undergrad and want to do so as a vet student and beyond.

Thanks for your help and hope to see some of you in August!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend that you check out our Factors When Picking a School Google doc: Factors When Picking A School.docx

I'll go ahead and tag a couple of active members who I know attend these schools who may be able to help you out... @Coopah @Miranda Senft

Also, I feel like I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't urge you to really, really consider the finances. Are you IS for either school? I know that OOS students at UC Davis can switch residency status partway through the program, which could save you tens of thousands of dollars over the long run in tuition. With just how much vet school costs nowadays, particularly in light of how salaries currently stand, I personally would attend whichever school is going to be cheapest for you regardless of anything else. This may sound radical, but your interests may change during or after vet school, you may end up leaving, you may end up deciding that you hate the profession and go on to pursue something else altogether. Even if you stick with what you're wanting to do right now, large animal pay is pretty poor in general. The less debt that you have shackling you down and limiting your ability to move around or take risks, the better.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey @KitKatDVM :) Current 1st year Cornell Vet Student here (thanks @Elkhart for the shoutout :love:) So, we have a top of the line dairy barn 5 mins away from the vet school (it's just down the road). Our dairy staff are incredible too! If you join the AABP ($10 dues/year), you are eligible and encouraged to sign up for Herd Health and Palpation days :) We offer palpations every saturday during the school year (it's not clinician-guided, it's student-guided but the students who have taught me are really great teachers!). We do morning herd health on wednesdays and this is clinician-guided with an amazing professor who covers different dairy herd health topics and discusses current cases that are undergoing treatment. Also, you can sign up to work as a student milker your first year (you'll start end of fall semester usually). I started out thinking I wanted to be a mixed practitioner (I super duper love farm animals) but now I'm leaning more towards small animals because (this might be a bit weird) I don't think I have the capacity to euthanize a horse or a cow with a capped bolt or a gun. I have no problem with performing euthanasia in general as it's an important part of our field but I don't think I could do that while looking into their eyes.
But, on a happier note, I LOVE PBL!!! The idea is amazing and when executed well, it's fantastic!!! The only downside to it is that you might be given a tutor (a professor) that isn't as involved or is over-involved and that can affect the dynamic of the group. But, overall it has been an amazing experience and I can't wait for the next block (in late march) because it uses PBL and I miss it dearly!
I hope I answered your questions :) Any more?:biglove:
Also, congrats on getting into both of these crazy difficult schools!!! My mom is a UC Davis Vet School alum and she enjoyed her time out there (albeit it was almost 30 years ago haha).

Hi everybody!

I'm a senior animal science student with a deep interest in pursuing dairy production medicine. I've been accepted into both Cornell and UC-Davis c/o 2023. Now I'm struggling to choose between the two: both great schools, but can you answer some questions that might help me decide?

I've heard that most of Davis's dairy work comes out of Tulane, 3 hours away from the main campus. Is this true?

Which school has better opportunities and resources for food animal, specifically dairy, focused students?

What's it like to white-coat as a first year at Davis?

Problem-based learning (Cornell- I loved this when I did Summer College here) vs lecture-based (UC-Davis)?

Also, can anyone speak to the combined DVM/PhD programs and research opportunities at these schools? I did loads of research as an undergrad and want to do so as a vet student and beyond.

Thanks for your help and hope to see some of you in August!
I would urge you to consider finances first and foremost. Is one your IS? Davis offers IS tuition after the first year and plenty of scholarships. However, cost of living here is pretty high. That said we have an average graduating debt of less than the national average. Take that as you will.

We have a dairy farm on campus, I bike past it everyday. However, it's my understanding it's pretty small and they do a lot of work outside the one on campus. We have a LOT of extracurricular for dairy. I believe you can get a job in C barn and work in the LA ICU or any other activities you'd like including anesthesia tech or surgery tech. These positions are not available on the small animals side of things. Our farm club is super active as well.

Our research is incredible. You want to do research on anything you can find it here. We're kind of a research crazy school. If you want the combined program and have not already been accepted then you'll need to apply in the middle of first year and after the first year, if accepted, your tuition will be waived.

White coat is white coat. I don't really see the difference between schools tbh.

You'll get a great education anywhere and you should be proud you got into two great schools.

Reactions: 1 user