Corporate Naming of Hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polofanPKP

Fear the Vest
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what others think about this. Columbus Children's Hospital is going to be renamed Nationwide Children's Hospital later this year because of a sizeable donation by Nationwide. I personally find this reprehensible, mainly because of what I fear may happen as other corporations attempt this same thing. I know that corporations are a big part of funding some hospitals (Proctor and Gamble and Cincinnati Children's) but it seems like they are crossing a line when they want to essentially buy naming rights. What's next, Wendy's Heart Hospital? How far is too far regarding corporations and health care.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds absolutely ridiculous. A hospital isn't a damned stadium by any stretch of the imagination. The part that's more scary to consider is the possibility of corporate interests controlling specific hospital expenditures.

Imagine you were so rich and you would only give huge donations if hospitals changed their names to something silly... like I'll give you guys $100 million if you rename your hospital to Deep Fried Chicken Hospital Center.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do love the conflict of interest between an insurance company, with a health insurance branch, buying naming rights (via a donation), for a hospital. Really makes you think, what won't insurance companies do anymore.

Hospitals have been doing this for years. They commonly take the name of key donors. Only the key donors now are corporations.

Patients will happily go to Google Medical Center if it gives good, affordable care. The name will offend doctors (or premeds) a lot more than it will John Q Public.

I'm okay with it. We already have things like "Missouri Baptist Medical Centers," "Sisters of Saint Mary Health Centers" and don't forget the "Jewish-Christian" juggernaut. If religious organizations can fund a hospital and put their name on it, why can't a corporation?

Yes I see what your saying regarding religion and hospitals. But, with corporations, they always have very clear goals, to make as much money as possible. Does it not seem in the least bit unnerving that money-making corporations are reaching into sectors that are essentially non-profit. What is the benefit to them?

Yes I see what your saying regarding religion and hospitals. But, with corporations, they always have very clear goals, to make as much money as possible. Does it not seem in the least bit unnerving that money-making corporations are reaching into sectors that are essentially non-profit. What is the benefit to them?

I guess it's the same as paying millions to slather your name all over Jeff Gordon's rear bumper, or renaming a football game the Diet Caffeine Free Cherry Coca Cola Bowl.

Just wondering what others think about this. Columbus Children's Hospital is going to be renamed Nationwide Children's Hospital later this year because of a sizeable donation by Nationwide. I personally find this reprehensible, mainly because of what I fear may happen as other corporations attempt this same thing. I know that corporations are a big part of funding some hospitals (Proctor and Gamble and Cincinnati Children's) but it seems like they are crossing a line when they want to essentially buy naming rights. What's next, Wendy's Heart Hospital? How far is too far regarding corporations and health care.

As was said, if it pumps money into the hospital which is good for patients what are you so apprehensive about?

What about instances where the Hospital's owner is basically for profit? Sponsorship seems bad*, but at least it isn't HCA.

*Sponsorship doesn't just seem bad, it is bad. Although it may be initially beneficial for the hospital to receive additional funds, it can hurt in the long run. It can be very hard for a hospital to remain impartial towards a corporation when that corporation is directly sponsoring the hospital. Although the physicians and other health care workers may not care one way or another where the money comes from, you can bet that people on the administrative side are influenced heavily by contributions. This may not be an issue if a company has absolutely no relationship to health care or the health of people in general, but the moment they do, a conflict of interest arises. As others have pointed out, Fatty Chicken Hospital could be problematic because consumers (patients) can't be sure if their Doctors who work at FCH are telling them the truth about what Fatty Chicken will do to their hearts. It gets even worse when we talk about sponsorship by companies like drug or insurance companies that have a genuine interest in a Hospital that makes them look better. Be wary though, because even seemingly unrelated companies care. Car companies? Think about stats on automobile accidents and where they come from. Clothing companies? Think about what doctors might have to say about being laced up in a corset (ok, I kid, I kid).

In a sense, however, I think it may be good to go ahead and name the hospital after it's largest owner because it adds a level of transparency. What is scarier, a hospital we know is backed by a big Pharma company or a hospital that is backed by a big Pharma company without general public knowledge? I think transparency allows patients and physicians to make more informed decisions.

Maybe I'm just too much of a conspiracy theororist, but you know...

it works out well actually. for example St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is about to open up a new building on it campus that is going to be called the Chili's Care Center.

Although it may seem like the charity is whoring itself out to corporate America, charities like St. Jude have gladly accepted corporate money for their entire existence. The donations have become so large that naming of entire facilities is the next step. After all donors want recognition. The hospital benefits because of the donation. The corporation benefits because of the advertising and the positive image (i.e. profits are going to someone else other than executives and shareholders). And the image improvement helps the company increase profits, which should theoretically help the charity increase the amount of money it receives from the company it receives money from.

Try raising enough money through individual donors to run a hospital or other such expensive endeavor...its nearly impossible these days.

Ronald McDonald has his name on a whole string of "houses" where parents can bunk while their kids are hospitalized. I've never heard anyone who felt that anyone was getting the wrong message about the Golden Arches on account of the sponsorship of hospital affiliated facilities.

What did Christopher Columbus ever do for that hospital in question ?? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Ronald McDonald has his name on a whole string of "houses" where parents can bunk while their kids are hospitalized. I've never heard anyone who felt that anyone was getting the wrong message about the Golden Arches on account of the sponsorship of hospital affiliated facilities.

What did Christopher Columbus ever do for that hospital in question ?? :D

I think that the Ronald McDonald house is a different situation when compared with an insurance company getting the naming rights to a hospital. Ronald McDonald house offers as you said a place to stay for parents and chlidren during treatment. It doesn't actually offer the treatment, the treatment that is then supposed to be paid for by the health insurance company that "owns" the hospital. No one sees this as a conflict of interest?

It's Columbus Children's because of the name of the city, a better question would be what Chrisopher Columbus did to get a city named after him.

I think that the Ronald McDonald house is a different situation when compared with an insurance company getting the naming rights to a hospital. Ronald McDonald house offers as you said a place to stay for parents and chlidren during treatment. It doesn't actually offer the treatment, the treatment that is then supposed to be paid for by the health insurance company that "owns" the hospital. No one sees this as a conflict of interest?

The insurance company will not own the hospital. The hospital will (I presume) continue under its current management. The insurance company made a charitable donation to the hospital that may be used for current expenses, or capital improvements or as an endowment that will produce income that can be spent to cover hospital needs in the future.

The insurance company is not paying for patient treatment except, perhaps to the extent that income from the endowment would pay for uncompensated care or something like that.

I do love the conflict of interest between an insurance company, with a health insurance branch, buying naming rights (via a donation), for a hospital. Really makes you think, what won't insurance companies do anymore.

and yet Kaiser is still alive and kicking (not their patients, but who's keeping track?)

The insurance company will not own the hospital. The hospital will (I presume) continue under its current management. The insurance company made a charitable donation to the hospital that may be used for current expenses, or capital improvements or as an endowment that will produce income that can be spent to cover hospital needs in the future.

The insurance company is not paying for patient treatment except, perhaps to the extent that income from the endowment would pay for uncompensated care or something like that.

Nobody gives the kind of money that Nationwide is giving with no strings attached. The obvious string is the renaming of the hospital, what is going on behind the scenes. Right now I'm sure the hospital is grateful for the contribution, however, what happens in the future. Perhaps Nationwide wants a discount on reimbursements to the hospital, when the hospital says no, Nationwide can say "Remember all that money we gave you?".

The insurance company is also a health insurance company, they are paying for treatment (reimbursements for care given). So they are paying for procedures conducted at a hospital with their name on it. Sounds like they could take advantage.

As long as it is not a drug company, which then only allows certain drugs....

everyone knows that like, all corporations are evil...like DUH

Or maybe we can inscribe "Adidas" or "Nike" on nursing and doctor's uniform.

Or maybe we can inscribe "Adidas" or "Nike" on nursing and doctor's uniform.

That would be sweet, can you see the commercials. A trauma team running down a hallway, in slow-mo of course (everything is cooler in slow-mo). A surgeon elbow-deep in some patient. Then at the end, fade to black, and with a heart-beat in the background, it says "Nike Medical, Just Do It".

Nobody gives the kind of money that Nationwide is giving with no strings attached. The obvious string is the renaming of the hospital, what is going on behind the scenes. Right now I'm sure the hospital is grateful for the contribution, however, what happens in the future. Perhaps Nationwide wants a discount on reimbursements to the hospital, when the hospital says no, Nationwide can say "Remember all that money we gave you?".

The insurance company is also a health insurance company, they are paying for treatment (reimbursements for care given). So they are paying for procedures conducted at a hospital with their name on it. Sounds like they could take advantage.

$50 million over 10 years from the Nationwide Foundation. Part of a $720 million dollar expansion. Nationwide provides auto, property, health & life insurance. Part of the donation to Columbus Children's Hospital will be used for child safety and injury prevention programs. Obviously a vested interest for Nationwide (preventing home fires & injuries from car crashes). Also a tax break for the company as well as good PR.