Correct me if I'm wrong: MDPhD research area and duration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScienceGeek3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have one more year to graduate and I already did research for a whole summer. My question is aimed at the amount of research I have to do before applying to MDPhDs. From what I learned I will need AT LEAST 2 years of research, is that correct?? I also read that it is better to perform the research at a university VS a biomedical engineering company for ex? I was offered a research position at a company and I am not sure if it is considered the same as university research by MDPhD programs. Also, does the name of the university where you are doing the research matter (such as Hopkins vs small liberal arts school)?? Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The place where you do the research is less important than what you get out of it (experience, level of responsibility and autonomy, and publications/presentations). As long as it’s hypothesis driven research, I don’t think the setting of private v public matters too much but I’m not an expert on how people with industry backgrounds fare. I imagine well, frankly. I think @eteshoe was an engineer prior to joining an MD/PhD program.

1.5 years of research experience is what is recommended as a minimum. This can be in undergrad over several semesters and summers or all during gap years between undergrad and med school. 50% of MD/PhD matriculants took time off to do research, but, similarly, 50% went straight through from undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user