Could you theoretically shoot for hem/onc without doing research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flannelfan

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just an M1 here particularly interested in hem/onc. I was curious if anyone had any insight on this/would know anything about the possibility of matching hem/onc with good board scores, community involvement, leadership experience, etc. (hypothetically speaking of course, I know it's early on) but without research.
Did an honors thesis and published in undergrad, but I hate the research process. I'd do it if I HAD to, but if I could avoid it, that would be ideal. I'd eye a more community based hem/onc program anyways rather than a large academic one in the city.

Members don't see this ad.

No. You would need it at the very least for the fellowship application.

Reactions: 1 user
No. You would need it at the very least for the fellowship application.
Thanks.
I suppose the next question would be then, I should be able to do that at any point right? In school, over summer, during residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I'm just an M1 here particularly interested in hem/onc. I was curious if anyone had any insight on this/would know anything about the possibility of matching hem/onc with good board scores, community involvement, leadership experience, etc. (hypothetically speaking of course, I know it's early on) but without research.
Did an honors thesis and published in undergrad, but I hate the research process. I'd do it if I HAD to, but if I could avoid it, that would be ideal. I'd eye a more community based hem/onc program anyways rather than a large academic one in the city.

Drop the leadership and volunteering and do research if you want a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

You have to go through IM first anyway. Know of an IMG who did unrelated research at a community program in residency, and he got into a Hem/Onc fellowship. But anything research-related you have before, now, and after will certainly help.

You have to go through IM first anyway. Know of an IMG who did unrelated research at a community program in residency, and he got into a Hem/Onc fellowship. But anything research-related you have before, now, and after will certainly help.
Did he have research experience in medical school/undergrad?

Did he have research experience in medical school/undergrad?

IIRC he did some work for a few months in a lab to improve his CV before applying to residency, but it wasn't anything major (no pubs from it). I have more pubs/posters right now than him lol.