Couples applying to the same medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neolium

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm interested to get opinions on this as well. My husband and I are both applying although we're not at the interviewing stage yet. I'm actually wondering if they might figure out that we're married without having to tell them.

I wanna go to Nova with my girlfriend, I would also like to know if anyone knows anything about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
just thought i'd put it out there that UMich's (allo, i know) secondary explicitly asks if you're applying as a couple. I thought that was interesting...

just thought i'd put it out there that UMich's (allo, i know) secondary explicitly asks if you're applying as a couple. I thought that was interesting...

Wow that is interesting. We're only applying DO though so it doesn't apply to us.

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I am not an adcom member. It's probably better to ask someone who actually has experience in medical school admissions. However, with that said, I think that by-in-large, it would not benefit you in terms of gaining admissions, although I'm sure there are exceptions. Perhaps if you were married, then your relationship would perhaps play a more significant role to that end, but if you are just BF/GF, I doubt it will help.

I've been trying to get my creative juices flowing, but I simply cannot imagine anything that would suck more ass than going to med school with your girlfriend.

First of all, what if one of you gets into a "better" school, but chose this particular one for the other person? You don't think that will ever come up in an argument?

And there will be arguments. Med school is stressful, and so are women. And I have no doubt that we stress them out just as much, albeit for much more silly reasons. You're looking at a poweder keg here.

If you're married, then its different. You've already learned how to deal with each other and, agreed that its fine and dandy. But a boyfriend and girlfriend going to med school together? That's just adding to an already massive workload.

It seems like forever ago, but my wife and I applied and went to medical school together. We were already married at the time we applied. We applied to both osteopathic and allopathic medical schools. I can only speak from my experience, but being married helped NONE when it came to medical school admissions. My wife has many physicians in her family who all graduated from Meherry. Needless to say, she was accepted into this school fairly quickly while I was waitlisted. I was accepted into Howard while my wife never even received an interview (despite our calling and explaining the situation many times.) By the grace of God, we were both accepted into LECOM, PCOM and NYCOM. We chose NYCOM and the rest is history.

Medical school admission is really a big game and crap shoot. Sometimes the decision making makes absolutly no sense.

Now when it comes time for residency, the couples match makes things a lot nicer. You will only match if both of you match. If a program only wants one and not the other, then neither of you match. This makes things nice because it guarantees that you will be together (which is the most important part). You may not match at your number 1 program, but your family will be together.

Hope this helps....sorry if it doesn't...please PM me if you have further questions.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like forever ago, but my wife and I applied and went to medical school together. We were already married at the time we applied. We applied to both osteopathic and allopathic medical schools. I can only speak from my experience, but being married helped NONE when it came to medical school admissions. My wife has many physicians in her family who all graduated from Meherry. Needless to say, she was accepted into this school fairly quickly while I was waitlisted. I was accepted into Howard while my wife never even received an interview (despite our calling and explaining the situation many times.) By the grace of God, we were both accepted into LECOM, PCOM and NYCOM. We chose NYCOM and the rest is history.

Medical school admission is really a big game and crap shoot. Sometimes the decision making makes absolutly no sense.

Now when it comes time for residency, the couples match makes things a lot nicer. You will only match if both of you match. If a program only wants one and not the other, then neither of you match. This makes things nice because it guarantees that you will be together (which is the most important part). You may not match at your number 1 program, but your family will be together.

Hope this helps....sorry if it doesn't...please PM me if you have further questions.

Thanks for this input. I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I was very curious about if anyone else had any recent situations where they applied to medical schools the same year as their significant other (married or not).

If you were in a situation where one of you may apply a year before the other,

quick questions for scenarios to ponder about:

1. If you applied say this cycle, but your significant other was not ready to apply until next cycle... would you wait an additional year to see which schools you both MAYBE get accepted to, or would you just go ahead and start school where you got in (even if that meant moving and/or long-distance) for a year, and then hope the other one gets in the same school, or one nearby.

2. Would it help admissions if your significant other is already a student at the school?

3. Have any other couples applied to schools recently?
a) got into the same schools and went to one that you both got into?
b) one got in, the other didn't?
c) got into different schools, in different places, and obviously went?

Last edited:
Woah that is actually awesome @DOnut. May I ask what you're practicing in?

edit, nvm saw it in your sig. Do you and your wife both practice in EM?

Reason asking is wifey may go back for her NP. Weird thinking about working together.

Reactions: 1 user