Course structure difference - need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qyle95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have decided to go to veterinary school in Australia, and is still in the process of deciding which offer to accept. Murdoch and Melbourne are the schools I got into, and seeing as the cost to go to Murdoch is only slightly lower, I wish to make a decision based more on the academic structure itself.

I myself have been out of school for more than a year now, and Murdoch's BVSc+DVM structure appeals to me better, since it has a nice step-by-step progression that, in theory, should be better for my transition back to school. It also seems more like a tried-and-true approach.
Course Structure

Now the University of Melbourne, on the other hand, has quite a unique structure that revolves around case studies starting from year 1. They only have one two big general courses each semester, which seems a bit too general. Degree structure - Doctor of Veterinary Medicine — Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences

I was wondering if anyone has any pointers or thoughts that can facilitate my decision process? I'm just worried that I wouldn't get back into the groove of school right away, and I might struggle if I jump into Melbourne's curriculum. Provided I prefer almost everything else (lifestyle, culture, post-graduation opportunities) in Melbourne over Perth, I just needed some input on the structure of University of Melbourne as it is quite different from what I have seen at CSU (my alma mater).

Members don't see this ad.

Not in vet school, haven't finished pre-reqs, but I'm part of a learning chat where vets walk us through some cases, and have us think about them, etc. There's quite a few things I can remember from those cases.

So it's worth thinking abut what type of learner you are. Case studies can be a surprisingly nice way of learning for some people.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe not super relevant to your question, but I studied abroad at Murdoch and loved my time there. That might have had more to do with the people I met and the fun I had outside of the classroom but I loved the campus and Perth.