COVID-19 and impact on school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CVS receipts are probably also a great alternative
Dem papercuts tho.

Ooo FYI most receipts printed on thermal paper have high amounts of BPA that easily transfer off (compared to plastics that really need heat for BPA transfer). I stopped putting receipts in my mouth when I learned that. (Some ATM receipts have "BPA free" on the back.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, classes are cancelled today. They say possibility of resuming on Monday but I don’t think much will change between now and then... lol.
 
I think VMCVM has switched over to emergency-services only at the VTH. It's not entirely clear yet, as the town hall meeting yesterday was somewhat heated.

Externals are cancelled as of yesterday and students must come back and do a 2 week quarantine period before their next in-house rotation. Our shelter medicine block in DC is also cancelled; however because this is a 'core' competency, admin says we must complete it somehow. Future TBD.
 
Ross is sending out an update today. From someone who talked to the campus doctor, it sounds like we’re going to get the same rec as SGU students—campus will be open but they will be recommending flying home, switching to online classes. I have three pets and it would be impossible for me to take them back and forth due to airline regulations (and I would have to do rabies titers to bring two of them back into St. Kitts since it’s rabies free). so I’ll be planning on staying on island, holed up in my apartment with all my snacks and pets.

edit: so no official word yet, this is just the rumor
 
Can add Ross to the list! This is what we just got.
 

Attachments

  • 3EF9CC36-2E61-4498-98D3-4B8A229959F2.jpeg
    3EF9CC36-2E61-4498-98D3-4B8A229959F2.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 185
I’m a student at Western Michigan University and I think this is great! I now have a more relaxing semester! Yes this is a drastic measure but I’m very impressed with universities across the nation and taking steps on their part to reduce the spread through such drastic measures. K-12 institutions in Michigan have also been closed, these are the necessary steps to reduce the spread and I’m very happy with this unified push across many sectors closing down and doing the right thing (despite huge losses) in order to protect people!
 
I’m a student at Western Michigan University and I think this is great! I now have a more relaxing semester! Yes this is a drastic measure but I’m very impressed with universities across the nation and taking steps on their part to reduce the spread through such drastic measures. K-12 institutions in Michigan have also been closed, these are the necessary steps to reduce the spread and I’m very happy with this unified push across many sectors closing down and doing the right thing (despite huge losses) in order to protect people!
Sux tho that I’m paying $52k for online classes tho
 
Sux tho that I’m paying $52k for online classes tho
That is true my friend and I’m sorry about that! On the bright side generally online classes are easier, so hopefully this an opportunity for you to really shine in your courses! All the best 🙂
 
Ok school is a big deal and all, but things are getting serious. My brother-in-law canceled his open house wine tasting for this weekend.

No free wine for me after white coat :arghh:
I was supposed to go to a wine tasting last night at the shelter I volunteer with and they cancelled ~4 hours before it was scheduled to start. 🙁
CU Boulder and Denver have both moved (or have announced a move) to online classes, but the Anschutz Medical Campus is still open* 👍 ETA: Of the four CU campuses, all have announced they will be moving to online-only by the end of the month except Anschutz.

* Although important to note that a lot of my professors have been preparing for the possibility of moving online and quite a few of them believe we will be moving online soon
Also, update on this: Anschutz just announced minutes ago that they will be moving to online classes, so I guess we're going on an extended spring break
 
Dem papercuts tho.

Ooo FYI most receipts printed on thermal paper have high amounts of BPA that easily transfer off (compared to plastics that really need heat for BPA transfer). I stopped putting receipts in my mouth when I learned that. (Some ATM receipts have "BPA free" on the back.)

Why would one place a receipt in their mouth to begin with??? 🤔🤔
 
On the bright side generally online classes are easier, so hopefully this an opportunity for you to really shine in your courses!

Unfortunately I don’t think this this will be the case for vet school classes.. It’s not like an undergrad set up where courses are actually designed to be online. To my knowledge, the professors are just taping their lectures so they can be watched online and then most of the schools are doing online proctored exams/finals. The material isn’t different or really being presented that differently, so I would imagine the difficulty will stay the same. I am looking forward to not having to go to campus though!
 
Unfortunately I don’t think this this will be the case for vet school classes.. It’s not like an undergrad set up where courses are actually designed to be online. To my knowledge, the professors are just taping their lectures so they can be watched online and then most of the schools are doing online proctored exams/finals. The material isn’t different or really being presented that differently, so I would imagine the difficulty will stay the same. I am looking forward to not having to go to campus though!
Yea the way Penn is doing it right now is they’re literally streaming the lecture from an empty lecture hall to students at home and continuing to record it. Then exams will be administered on Canvas but are “closed note” enforced through the honor system... This is getting a lot of people pretty frustrated because, despite what professors are saying, it’s unlikely that the majority of students will actually follow this. Eventually exams will move to an open-note format once they can figure out how to rewrite exams to fit that. It’s just such a mess right now and everyone is running around and scrambling to get everything in line. Instead of pushing back exams for like a week they’re just saying F it, we’ll do it live.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea the way Penn is doing it right now is they’re literally streaming the lecture from an empty lecture hall to students at home and continuing to record it. Then exams will be administered on Canvas but are “closed note” enforced through the honor system... This is getting a lot of people pretty frustrated because, despite what professors are saying, it’s unlikely that the majority of students will actually follow this. Eventually exams will move to an open-note format once they can figure out how to rewrite exams to fit that. It’s just such a mess right now and everyone is running around and scrambling to get everything in line. Instead of pushing back exams for like a week they’re just saying F it, we’ll do it live.
One of my professors said his plan is to give enough time on the exam that you can’t look up everything but if there’s one or two things you want to check really quick that’s fine. A different class the plan is if this goes past the two weeks then they’ll change the exam to essay questions and give us more time to do it.
 
One of my professors said his plan is to give enough time on the exam that you can’t look up everything but if there’s one or two things you want to check really quick that’s fine. A different class the plan is if this goes past the two weeks then they’ll change the exam to essay questions and give us more time to do it.
As of right now our school is trying to do everything as a unit, but until things are fully fleshed out it’s a free-for-all. They’re trying to pretend like this is just the same class as before except from home. But it’s not. There’s no way this is all going to work as intended.
 
Schools that have moved online:
  • MichSU
  • OhioSU
  • UW-Madison
  • IowaSU
  • Cornell (partially?)
  • WSU (rest of semester)
  • Tufts
  • UPenn
  • CSU
  • UMN
  • VMCVM
  • OregSU
  • UTenn
  • Western U
  • KSU
  • St George
  • UF?
  • UI?
  • OklaSU
  • Ross
  • Texas A&M


I'd like to hear from people on their thoughts about the impact of COVID-19 on our education

I for one am at WSU and we are currently operating but for the past week, instructors have starting informing of us about how the virus may impact the rest of the semester. Yesterday, faculty met to discuss conversion to an online system.

However, the way they have been speaking, it has not been an "if" this happens, it has been a "when" this happens.

For most of our classes, it won't be an issue. It effects the labs the hardest, and *especially* the 3rd years, who are doing clinical training in their labs.
I'm not sure how these are going to be made up. I'm not sure how I'll be able to explain to anyone in the future that I learned my equine anatomy online. It's not equivocal in the slightest.

For those of you at these schools, how are you feeling? Does anyone have a better idea of how this is going to work?
This will have an impact on students and parents who have taken education loans from the government. Recently we received an email from loan administration and federal student loans that the loans may be cancelled if the university you attend changes from on campus to online. It does not matter whether it is due to the COVID-19 situation or otherwise. The university is planning to deal with this but they have also suggested us to be prepared and probably go for other sources for loans and funding should the university be forced to return the fees. Has anyone else heard of this or got an email?
 
This will have an impact on students and parents who have taken education loans from the government. Recently we received an email from loan administration and federal student loans that the loans may be cancelled if the university you attend changes from on campus to online. It does not matter whether it is due to the COVID-19 situation or otherwise. The university is planning to deal with this but they have also suggested us to be prepared and probably go for other sources for loans and funding should the university be forced to return the fees. Has anyone else heard of this or got an email?
I have not gotten this email.
 
This will have an impact on students and parents who have taken education loans from the government. Recently we received an email from loan administration and federal student loans that the loans may be cancelled if the university you attend changes from on campus to online. It does not matter whether it is due to the COVID-19 situation or otherwise. The university is planning to deal with this but they have also suggested us to be prepared and probably go for other sources for loans and funding should the university be forced to return the fees. Has anyone else heard of this or got an email?

Which university is this?
 
This will have an impact on students and parents who have taken education loans from the government. Recently we received an email from loan administration and federal student loans that the loans may be cancelled if the university you attend changes from on campus to online. It does not matter whether it is due to the COVID-19 situation or otherwise. The university is planning to deal with this but they have also suggested us to be prepared and probably go for other sources for loans and funding should the university be forced to return the fees. Has anyone else heard of this or got an email?

Haven’t received an email about anything like this. But there are grad programs that run online anyway that people can get loans for; it’s based on credits not really in person vs online.
This would screw over so many people (not just vet students) that I don’t see this happening unless your school is making people drop credits because of the cancelling of classes.
 
I have not gotten this email.
Which university is this?
Haven’t received an email about anything like this. But there are grad programs that run online anyway that people can get loans for; it’s based on credits not really in person vs online.
This would screw over so many people (not just vet students) that I don’t see this happening unless your school is making people drop credits because of the cancelling of classes.
This is a first post by an unknown person online. I also did not receive this email.
 
Schools that have moved online:
  • MichSU
  • OhioSU
  • UW-Madison
  • IowaSU
  • Cornell (partially?)
  • WSU (rest of semester)
  • Tufts
  • UPenn
  • CSU
  • UMN
  • VMCVM
  • OregSU
  • UTenn
  • Western U
  • KSU
  • St George
  • UF?
  • UI?
  • OklaSU
  • Ross
  • Texas A&M


I'd like to hear from people on their thoughts about the impact of COVID-19 on our education

I for one am at WSU and we are currently operating but for the past week, instructors have starting informing of us about how the virus may impact the rest of the semester. Yesterday, faculty met to discuss conversion to an online system.

However, the way they have been speaking, it has not been an "if" this happens, it has been a "when" this happens.

For most of our classes, it won't be an issue. It effects the labs the hardest, and *especially* the 3rd years, who are doing clinical training in their labs.
I'm not sure how these are going to be made up. I'm not sure how I'll be able to explain to anyone in the future that I learned my equine anatomy online. It's not equivocal in the slightest.

For those of you at these schools, how are you feeling? Does anyone have a better idea of how this is going to work?
Update: Cornell is fully online until the end of the semester!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So they're moving the rest of large animal anatomy labs and clinical skills labs into electives next semester. Not sure how they're going to implement that as of now. We were also supposed to have comparative anatomy and labs associated too later in the semester and I'm assuming that will possibly be an elective too. Luckily we only had one clinical skills lab left but I think second years had a lot more.

I'm worried about how they're going to be doing anatomy exams. There's been talk of making a practical with pictures and considering we can't go into lab and look at specimens and there are not very many pictures for us to look at I'm confused about how we would learn enough to take a picture practical.
 
This will have an impact on students and parents who have taken education loans from the government. Recently we received an email from loan administration and federal student loans that the loans may be cancelled if the university you attend changes from on campus to online. It does not matter whether it is due to the COVID-19 situation or otherwise. The university is planning to deal with this but they have also suggested us to be prepared and probably go for other sources for loans and funding should the university be forced to return the fees. Has anyone else heard of this or got an email?


This is the first I've heard of it. What university do you go to?
 
Midwestern is keeping campus open. They’re assessing which classes can be taken online, but as of right now won’t be cancelling labs/in-person exams.
 
Ugh, yes, I noticed this, too. The JHU ArcGIS is primarily what we'd been using to track here as it was the most granular interface available but we were annoyed by this change. Haha.
@Elkhart


City/county granular info! Obviously there's hella community spread now but at least this shows confirmed cases at this level of detail compared to JHU.
 
That is true my friend and I’m sorry about that! On the bright side generally online classes are easier, so hopefully this an opportunity for you to really shine in your courses! All the best 🙂
Yeahhhhhh like FutureFeline said, they’re not really going to be any easier at all. We already have lectures recorded but now we have to watch them all on our own vs being able to come in and have a lecturer. I am definitely not one who generally watches the recorded lectures so I’m not looking forward to this.
 
This has been a roller coaster. We are online for the next three weeks. Labs are cancelled for the next week (maybe longer if needed). They’re working on finding a way to keep us going without large groups for labs (especially surgery).
 
We are now joining the crew of no more classes.

Classes/Lab/Exams all canceled Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. After that everything will be online only. We haven't heard yet about our labs (including our remaining surgical skills labs...) or finals. Exams from the canceled days will apparently be rescheduled, for us to likely take online. All club talks/activities/etc are banned as of now until further notice.

I'm sad that our labs might be canceled since they are so vital for helping us prep for live surgeries next year. So hopefully they find a way to make those happen.

So far 4th years are still in clinics and the teaching hospital is business as usual; don't know if that will change.
 
They've effectively moved classes online at Davis until after April 10th. Though, those of us in the Livestock track are supposed to go to Tulare for classes/labs down there starting a week from Sunday...we are reaching out to see if this will affect us because our group is so small. I'm hoping not!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AVC is moving to online starting after the 20th for the remainder of the semester (told could be sooner if situation changes) and we are told best to stay on the island and not go home. Labs will try to be scheduled in smaller groups. Internal rotations are as normal, but heard some students have had to cancel remaining externals.
 
Illinois has reduced the VTH services. Not sure if it’s just emergencies only or what but no co 21 students until April 13th at least (supposed to start March 30) and co 20 has the rest of this current rotation cancelled but they still have to do their PD rotations because they’re required.