COVID vaccine general thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cool with questions. But:

is anti-vax misinformation. It is not a rush job

Based on this information, if it isn't rushed, it definitely skipped some of the phases... which I think mean the same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
No, I am not an anti-vaxxer....all I'm saying is the process was out of the norm (fast track); I'm not saying the proper steps were not taken in regards to both safety and efficacy.

I am speculating more into the process/methodology of a drive through vaccine setup entails (rush job seems like a possible description as corner cutting seems like a possibility)

Proudly got both doses of Pfizer vaccine along with my sister and several co-workers
Words mean everything. Fast track is NOT rushed. There were NO corners cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, who got Lazypharmacist banned? Seems he/she was the anti-vaxxer/would make a good mate for unchained

Well, I applaud all the efforts of all those who contributed!
I am not used to being thanked for banning. I feel faint.

Although it was a committee decision not just me and they were given multiple warnings beforehand so it wasn’t out of the blue.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
been out of the work scene for a while but i have been seeing a lot of these covid vaccine support jobs pop-up lately. Are there jobs where literally all you have to do is give shots all day and completely separate from the main workflow ? I wouldn't mind that tbh feels like a lot less stress if i only had one function. no phone calls, no customer interaction outside of vaccine admin.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Love
been out of the work scene for a while but i have been seeing a lot of these covid vaccine support jobs pop-up lately. Are there jobs where literally all you have to do is give shots all day and completely separate from the main workflow ? I wouldn't mind that tbh feels like a lot less stress if i only had one function. no phone calls, no customer interaction outside of vaccine admin.
Cons are the logistics...traveling and **** show of last minute changes; expect to be tossed around. Plenty of BS dealing with/coordinating between LTCF director and corporate (over estimating the hell out of people at clinics and having to waste product...gave myself and co-workers a chance to use over estimated/excess product that would have been otherwise wasted)

Thinking about picking up some shifts; part time options available with good pay incentive (travel/mileage covered too)

RPh On The Go is hiring for this right now.

The health department in an adjacent county did a drive-up clinic, starting with 700 doses, and ran out! They'll be back when they get more.

How did the drive-up observation work? They had people pull over to another section of the large parking lot where they were giving them.

"California’s top epidemiologist, Dr. Erica Pan, told healthcare providers on Sunday to stop using a batch of Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine after a “higher than usual” number of people had apparent allergic reactions at a San Diego vaccination clinic. Their symptoms were severe and required medical attention, Pan said"

"California has received about 330,000 doses from the Moderna lot in question"

This is what a rushed process looks like. Let's see how the cheerleaders spin this one.
If anyone wanted a follow up, the lot that had been paused was cleared to be administered again.

Reactions: 3 users
Chains really need to implement a scheduling system even though there isn't actually any room for proper social distancing.

LOL @ any 15-minute monitoring being implemented with ad hoc vaccination currently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from cvs retail side want to share logistics? I know they are about to roll it out in some stores very soon.

15 min online scheduling? Anything else? See I would rather be doing clinics at this point. Some sites we don't do 4-5 injections per hour per pharmacist.

If anyone wanted a follow up, the lot that had been paused was cleared to be administered again.

Just put LazyPharmacist2.0 on ignore. You will gain nothing from this anti-vaxer. Anyone who spreads ant-vax conspiracies is an anti-vaxer. They are killing people and lengthening the pandemic by spreading this false information. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from cvs retail side want to share logistics? I know they are about to roll it out in some stores very soon.

15 min online scheduling? Anything else? See I would rather be doing clinics at this point. Some sites we don't do 4-5 injections per hour per pharmacist.
Details are sketchy. It will have to be by appointment only. Vaccine only lasts 6 hours once mixed.

Just put LazyPharmacist2.0 on ignore. You will gain nothing from this anti-vaxer. Anyone who spreads ant-vax conspiracies is an anti-vaxer. They are killing people and lengthening the pandemic by spreading this false information. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
Not worried about the user, especially since their account was reviked. But I figured some others may appreciate the follow up.

I don't take any of our anti vax people too seriously but listening to them does help keep me from getting blind sided by an anti vax argument at work so I try to gain what I can from the discussions anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Details are sketchy. It will have to be by appointment only. Vaccine only lasts 6 hours once mixed.
Do you have any plans on how to use overfill doses? Obviously can't go through appointments since you can't plan on actually having them so you'll have short notice.

Do you have any plans on how to use overfill doses? Obviously can't go through appointments since you can't plan on actually having them so you'll have short notice.
I don't know how they will plan. In LTC we count on 6 doses per vial. We are getting it almost 100% of the time. I have a clinic tomorrow with 340 shots.

Not worried about the user, especially since their account was reviked. But I figured some others may appreciate the follow up.

I don't take any of our anti vax people too seriously but listening to them does help keep me from getting blind sided by an anti vax argument at work so I try to gain what I can from the discussions anyway.
It;s like Trump's lies. You have to stamp them out. We need people to get vaccinated, period. We need misinformation from healthcare professionals to stop.

340? I have been doing clinics for a month and never over 200 even if projected number is higher. It is all about billing (what do you expect) with cvs anyway. Fo 300+, you need great techs or billers and 10+ people.

340? I have been doing clinics for a month and never over 200 even if projected number is higher. It is all about billing (what do you expect) with cvs anyway. Fo 300+, you need great techs or billers and 10+ people.
Actually ended up with 375 if you include my second shot......

My first clinic was projected 280. It was me, an intern, and the lead. It was the intern’s first day as well.

My next one this week is projected 300. And there’s only 4 people assigned to it including myself. I think the lead takes all the paper work after the day is over to the depot store and bills there.

My first clinic was projected 280. It was me, an intern, and the lead. It was the intern’s first day as well.

My next one this week is projected 300. And there’s only 4 people assigned to it including myself. I think the lead takes all the paper work after the day is over to the depot store and bills there.
@ CVS?

It;s like Trump's lies. You have to stamp them out. We need people to get vaccinated, period. We need misinformation from healthcare professionals to stop.

I have a question....

What is your recommendation for pregnant women and what evidence do you base that on?

I have a question....

What is your recommendation for pregnant women and what evidence do you base that on?
Here is where we are:

The Vaccine is approved for pregnant women in the US and England

1. ACOG reccomends the vaccine not be withheld from pregnant women.1
  2. Pregnancy is a risk factor for more severe disease. 2,3,4,5
While not tested in pregnant women, there were women who became pregnant during the trials:

In the Pfizer trial, 23 people became pregnant: There was one miscarriage in the non-vaccinated
group and none in the vaccinated group.6

In the Moderna trial, 13 people became pregnant: 6 in the vaccinated group and 7 in the non-
vaccinated group. There was one miscarriage in the non-vaccinated group and none in the
vaccinated group.7

In the Oxford/AZ trial, 21 people became pregnant: 12 in the vaccinated group and 9 in the non-
vaccinated group. There were three miscarriages in the non-vaccinated group and two in the
vaccinated group.8

So it is my professional opinion that a women who is pregnant or may become pregnant should discuss the risks v benefits with the provider and make a determination as what is best for the, based on the level of viral spread in the community, the profession of the woman and the comorbidities they may have.

I can tell you if it were my wife or daughter, I would urge them to get vaccinated. I am mindful of the fact it is a personal decision.

I hope that is helpful......

1.https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-advisory/articles/2020/12/vaccinating-pregnant-and-lactating-patients-against-covid-19

2.https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6925a1.htm

3.https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aogs.13901

4. Update: Characteristics of Symptomatic Women of ...

5.https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6938e2.htm

6. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...245/download&usg=AOvVaw2R0YHnTpPmI-2rqIODPjOZ

7.https://www/fda.gov/media/14434/download

8. https://assets.publishing.service.g...R_COVID_19_Vaccine_AstraZeneca_05.01.2021.pdf

Reactions: 7 users
Here is where we are:

The Vaccine is approved for pregnant women in the US and England

1. ACOG reccomends the vaccine not be withheld from pregnant women.1
  2. Pregnancy is a risk factor for more severe disease. 2,3,4,5
While not tested in pregnant women, there were women who became pregnant during the trials:

In the Pfizer trial, 23 people became pregnant: There was one miscarriage in the non-vaccinated
group and none in the vaccinated group.6

In the Moderna trial, 13 people became pregnant: 6 in the vaccinated group and 7 in the non-
vaccinated group. There was one miscarriage in the non-vaccinated group and none in the
vaccinated group.7

In the Oxford/AZ trial, 21 people became pregnant: 12 in the vaccinated group and 9 in the non-
vaccinated group. There were three miscarriages in the non-vaccinated group and two in the
vaccinated group.8

So it is my professional opinion that a women who is pregnant or may become pregnant should discuss the risks v benefits with the provider and make a determination as what is best for the, based on the level of viral spread in the community, the profession of the woman and the comorbidities they may have.

I can tell you if it were my wife or daughter, I would urge them to get vaccinated. I am mindful of the fact it is a personal decision.

I hope that is helpful......

1.https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/practice-advisory/articles/2020/12/vaccinating-pregnant-and-lactating-patients-against-covid-19

2.https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6925a1.htm

3.https://obgyn.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/aogs.13901

4. Update: Characteristics of Symptomatic Women of ...

5.https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6938e2.htm

6. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjOtNyei7vuAhX-FVkFHaVhCuQQFjAAegQIAxAC&url=https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/download&usg=AOvVaw2R0YHnTpPmI-2rqIODPjOZ

7.https://www/fda.gov/media/14434/download

8. https://assets.publishing.service.g...R_COVID_19_Vaccine_AstraZeneca_05.01.2021.pdf

I appreciate your response.

This is about the best that we can do right now I suppose. Although your answer is very well thought out and educated - it is still a risk/benefit statement based largely on “expert opinion” rather than evidence based medicine. I did not say that as a dig against you, but rather an acknowledgment of reality. You are an expert and you are giving your opinion based on a risk benefit analysis to the best of your ability - and you certainly have a reasonable position.

Pregnancy is, perhaps, the only spot where I am somewhat conflicted. Many diseases lead to birth defects with disastrous consequences - is covid one of them, I suppose we really don’t know yet. On the other hand, have we processed data to show outcomes associated with mRNA administration and pregnancy - on a large scale to power statistical data - the answer is simply, no. It’s a tough call and my heart goes out to pregnant mothers right now.

Also, just to refine a previous statement, the vaccine is approved for emergency use. This is different than the common FDA approval which we have been so used to for the past century or so.

Last edited:
I appreciate your response.

This is about the best that we can do right now I suppose. Although your answer is very well thought out and educated - it is still a risk/benefit statement based largely on “expert opinion” rather than evidence based medicine. I did not say that as a dig against you, but rather an acknowledgment of reality. You are an expert and you are giving your opinion based on a risk benefit analysis to the best of your ability - and you certainly have a reasonable position.

Pregnancy is, perhaps, the only spot where I am somewhat conflicted. Many diseases lead to birth defects with disastrous consequences - is covid one of them, I suppose we really don’t know yet. On the other hand, have we processed data to show outcomes associated with mRNA administration and pregnancy - on a large scale to power statistical data - the answer is simply, no. It’s a tough call and my heart goes out to pregnant mothers right now.

Also, just to refine a previous statement, the vaccine is approved for emergency use. This is different than the common FDA approval which we have been so used to for the past century or so.

• We have no data, that is true. However, it seems to me:
  • Vaccines are generally safe
  • Vaccines are generally sage during pregnancy, except for live vaccines. Every pregnant women gets a tDap shot now.
  • Pregnancy is a risk factor for Covid-19.
  • Covid-19 is not good for the baby.
It seems to me, the Risk V Benefit is so in favor of vaccination.

• Love
Just leaving this here for general reading among my professional peers. I think we should all be careful before we jump onto any bandwagon, either for or against, much of anything these days.

Just leaving this here for general reading among my professional peers. I think we should all be careful before we jump onto any bandwagon, either for or against, much of anything these days.

The American medical establishment is on the other side.

On a more positive note, J&J released their data today. We will have a third vaccine. Before everyone goes mad about the lower efficacy numbers please review this:

Anyone work for CVS as a temp pharmacist just to get the vaccine then quit? LOL

The American medical establishment is on the other side.

On a more positive note, J&J released their data today. We will have a third vaccine. Before everyone goes mad about the lower efficacy numbers please review this:

I was pleased with J&J's results. The reductions in hospitalizations and death are the real important factors in my mind. If the people who still develop symptomatic COVID essentially just have the sniffles, then that is a win. I could envision a scenario where this vaccine opens a pathway for younger, healthier people to receive a vaccination while we reserve the mRNA vaccines for high risk populations.

I also read that the potential mRNA booster shots to cover variants could be used regardless of which vaccine you initially received, which means we could use the single shot J&J to help get the entire population covered then boost against new variants later. I am very positive on this news.

I dunno, do people understand what frequentist statistics means? Interval estimates? Prob not

Can't wait for the South African variant to spread like wildfire

My fear is if this becomes yearly vaccine like flu. Then it would be hard to convince folks if it still requires 2 doses for > 90% effectiveness. It wouldn’t be practical.

My fear is if this becomes yearly vaccine like flu. Then it would be hard to convince folks if it still requires 2 doses for > 90% effectiveness. It wouldn’t be practical.
Within a few years the flu shot will be 2 doses per season. It works better especially in older folds. Vaccine waning is real thing.

I was pleased with J&J's results. The reductions in hospitalizations and death are the real important factors in my mind. If the people who still develop symptomatic COVID essentially just have the sniffles, then that is a win. I could envision a scenario where this vaccine opens a pathway for younger, healthier people to receive a vaccination while we reserve the mRNA vaccines for high risk populations.

I also read that the potential mRNA booster shots to cover variants could be used regardless of which vaccine you initially received, which means we could use the single shot J&J to help get the entire population covered then boost against new variants later. I am very positive on this news.
The only thing is:
So far this is data by press release. Nobody has seen the data yet. This is their spin on what the data says....

These chains would love the idea of hawking 2 flu shots per season.

The actual point of multiple COVID-19 shots is to follow that "prime-boost" paradigm to stimulate durable nAb response + B memory/CD4+ response, so there is no real logic or obviously any data to warrant 2 COVID-19 shots on a hypothetical annual basis.

Given the way SARS 2.0 spreads expect repeat challenges year-long.

Within a few years the flu shot will be 2 doses per season. It works better especially in older folds. Vaccine waning is real thing.

Don’t think it would be wise. It’s hard to convince people to get one vaccine a year as it is. Now imagine two? Not a good idea from adherence standpoint.

It would be better to just go with one vaccine > 60% effectiveness in that case.

Don’t think it would be wise. It’s hard to convince people to get one vaccine a year as it is. Now imagine two? Not a good idea from adherence standpoint.

It would be better to just go with one vaccine > 60% effectiveness in that case.
If people don't want to get the second dose, who could force them? Faulty logic here.....

Just let exposure in the "wild" be your booster every year. This is going to be endemic in the U.S. anyway.

Just let exposure in the "wild" be your booster every year. This is going to be endemic in the U.S. anyway.
That of course is never a good idea. Vaccines work better than natural immunity. Especially with wide community spread. The more spread the more replications, the more replications, the more mutations....

24 million natural infections and and over 400K deaths
29 million vaccinations, Zero deaths from vaccinations.....

Reactions: 1 users
Last time I checked COVID-19 spread is rampant in western countries not named Australia and New Zealand.

You won't get a good mucosal IgA response from any IM vaccine

For the smart ones this will be prime (+ boost) + natural challenge, or idiots protesting at Dodger Stadium being challenged because muh right to drink PBR indoors in some ****ty dive bar

Last time I checked COVID-19 spread is rampant in western countries not named Australia and New Zealand.

You won't get a good mucosal IgA response from any IM vaccine

For the smart ones this will be prime (+ boost) + natural challenge, or idiots protesting at Dodger Stadium being challenged because muh right to drink PBR indoors in some ****ty dive bar
Sure, so the people who get COVID despite vaccination are obviously going to be infectious. But the 95% who never get it probably won't be.

Because more infectious variants won't exist

Oh good! Now it’s okay! For a second there I did not know what professional organization to get behind. Good thing I have twitter to think for me.