Covid19 - clinical / epidemiological thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can never figure out how people like you end up on a medical forum. Are you in medicine? I ask because you only post this type of stuff.
To get under your skin, under my skin, and under everyone’s skin.
Although on the above rant, I totally agree with he or she.
But usually, like you, I normally hate he/she.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Youtube is owned by Google. Google has been censoring information in the US and globally for years. As has been talked about in the news, they have worked with communist China to develop a fully censored operating system called Dragonfly. This shows you what kind of values and ethics the leaders at Google really have. In short, they are not who you've been led to think they are.

There have been many examples of (mostly) conservatives being censored on Youtube, Google, FB, and Twitter by the tech overlords. Youtube has decided that any Covid content posted must jive with the WHO party line. WHO does not promote the use of HCQ. If WHO has opinion A and a doctor (or anyone) posting on Youtube has opinion B or data supporting opinion B, Youtube has decided that this is "misinformation" and needs to be removed for our own good. Let that sink in. If you don't think like or agree with the globalist organization WHO, that means that you are dangerously misinformed and therefore are not allowed to share your thoughts with others. It is insane. It is censoring. It is fascist. Not to mention the fact that the WHO themselves have contradicted their own statements and reversed their own recommendations and forecasts over the last few months. Youtube has also removed videos of two physicians (Dr Dan Erickson and Dr Artin Massihi) from Kern county, CA who held a press conference to discuss their own Covid data and their opinion on reopening the economy in Kern county. Because it contradicted "the party line," it was removed from Youtube.

Conservatives have been complaining for years that their content is being censored, removed, followers ghosted, or algorithmically hidden. Certain "trigger words" are purposefully not spoken or put into video titles, because these would automatically result in removal. It is suppression of free speech. The example that you provide illustrates beautifully how Google operates as a propaganda machine. Science is the process of observation and analysis. Science should be apolitical. Science should be open to interpretation, review, debate, acceptance or rejection by individuals. Perhaps this has opened your eyes to how Google and Youtube truly operate and how Big Science is controlled and manipulated to serve a certain narrative and to benefit certain people. The globalist agenda is the master that Google and many others serve with little or no concern for truth, accuracy, ethics, or American values.

let me guess, they took down your video about chemtrails again, or was it the one about the hoax of global warming....

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I must admit, it's the first time I heard of vWF being involved in inflammation-related thrombosis, including in Covid-19. It's an interesting thought, that has been gathering more and more evidence recently.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter, because we don't have any vWF-specific (inhibitor) medication AFAIK. And a number of good intensivists have been giving therapeutic heparin to patients with high D-dimers etc., for more than a month.

Kudos to Dr. Seheult. His presentations are always very informative.

The anticoagulation story with COVID is very interesting, will be fascinating to see what the pathophysiology of this virus is once we finally have it worked out.

I saw a poster somewhere (maybe the CCM forum) suggest something about vWF involvement in the prothrombitic state we’re seeing- haven’t looked into the details and it’s admittedly been a while since I reviewed the nitty gritty of the coagulation/platelet aggregation cascades, but I wonder if low dose gp2b3a inhibitors like tirofoban would have a beneficial effect. Not drugs most of us are overly familiar with, outside of the cath lab

"It would probably be silly to say anything too negative about remdesevir when we know a “positive” trial will be published any day. All the same, we need to consider our pretest probability. Although COVID-19 is new, viral pneumonia is a yearly scourge, and no therapy has ever been shown to improve important outcomes in viral pneumonia. (No, tamiflu doesn’t work.) For that reason, our pretest probability should be very low. It should take a lot to convince us that an intervention works for COVID-19. A single trial, especially if flawed, may not be enough to overcome the mountain of evidence thus far that our drugs don’t help viral pneumonias. Unfortunately, given the sheer number of studies underway (often with imperfect methodology), we are bound to see a few that look positive by chance alone, despite there being no real benefit. Considering how the media (and even many doctors) have responded to crappy observational data, I anticipate that people will similarly over-react to the first “positive” RCT. It is our job as science based doctors to reign in that insanity, and help people interpret the data for what it actually shows."

Reactions: 6 users
Remdesivir probably has some mild efficacy on Moderate cases on Covid 19. This means morbidity likely decreases and patients recover a bit faster. But, what about those who progress from moderate to critical? I’m pretty sure Remdesivir won’t be effective in that group.

I sometimes think people want to believe we have a treatment for Covid 19 more than the science behind the treatment itself.

Remdesivir probably has some mild efficacy on Moderate cases on Covid 19. This means morbidity likely decreases and patients recover a bit faster. But, what about those who progress from moderate to critical? I’m pretty sure Remdesivir won’t be effective in that group.

I sometimes think people want to believe we have a treatment for Covid 19 more than the science behind the treatment itself.

He says while looking in the mirror.

;)

:poke:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He says while looking in the mirror.

while ordering every pill online for the latest craze that some youtube doc once suggested had a positive effect in his last 3 patients treated

is there a reason you keep posting these videos within minutes/hours of being uploaded to YouTube? Are they your videos?

They're good reference for up to date stuff outside of posting journal articles. And also trying to update them here for FYI before they inevitably get taken down by Youtube censors.

Reactions: 2 users
Decent, but open label study
Sure, it needs a bigger RCT. What's interesting here is that NEJM lopinavir-ritonavir trial showed no change in viral load. The dual therapy control group here doesn't appear to show benefit as well. Remdesivir showed no impact on viral load. But this is showing that the interferon in this study is what's having a significant impact. That's why i said encouraging.

Last edited:
Surprised there hasn’t been a post from Blade urging us all to stockpile interferon yet.

• Haha
Maybe it was the ribavirin plus interferon, like the old Hep C treatment.

Maybe it was the ribavirin plus interferon, like the old Hep C treatment.
I really don't know enough about these drugs but if that were the case, wouldn't we see some effect w ribavirin alone or combined w lopi-rito? There have been various studies looking at these. There is also a subgroup of ribavirin+lopi-rito within the combination group in this study that showed no impact.

I really don't know enough about these drugs but if that were the case, wouldn't we see some effect w ribavirin alone or combined w lopi-rito? There have been various studies looking at these. There is also a subgroup of ribavirin+lopi-rito within the combination group in this study that showed no impact.
Apparently they worked much better together, that was the interesting thing. I don't know why; I'm not sure we had figured out how they did their magic together.

In the Covid study, it may have been just the ribavirin, because 34 out of the 86 patients in the combination group (those admitted after 7 days of symptoms) did not receive interferon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently they worked much better together, that was the interesting thing. I don't know why; I'm not sure we had figured out how they did their magic together.

In the Covid study, it may have been just the ribavirin, because 34 out of the 86 patients in the combination group (those admitted after 7 days of symptoms) did not receive interferon.
The dual therapy in this study basically looks like it did nothing. The NEJM lop-rit study showed no impact on viral load. So it seems that if anything is working here, it’s the interferon. That’s what ppl who know much more about these drugs than me seem to be suggesting as well. Anyways, i think the fact something has been found to reduce viral load is encouraging. More studies can be done from this. Inhaled interferon has also been shown to reduce viral load and cytokine response in the lungs: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.06.20042580v1.full.pdf

Also, looks like there’s a multi center RCT underway to give us answers about anticoagulation in these patients. The jacc study really wasn’t definitive.

The lesson from Sweden may be that we will get through this pandemic as we reopen schools and stores. Yes, the number of deaths will continue to increase but the health system should be able to handle the cases going forward.

Severe Covid causes Acute Kidney Injury in 80% of patients 20% need dialysis and 3% have glycosuria. Results of the first European cohort study in critically ill patients.

Reactions: 1 users
The lesson from Sweden may be that we will get through this pandemic as we reopen schools and stores. Yes, the number of deaths will continue to increase but the health system should be able to handle the cases going forward.

Well, Sweden is probably where we end up at after a full re-open. Deaths go up, economy still weak, social distancing, etc. The unemployment in the USA is likely to hit 30 million, IMHO, that is unsustainable and will destroy the nation.

Ever heard of the Hong Kong Flu? This nation NEVER shut down and despite the deaths WOODSTOCK was still a "go." That generation was willing to deal with risk and death at a far greater level than we are today. Perhaps, the new "NORM" is understanding that Covid 19 or Covid 21 is here to stay and perhaps NO vaccine will be more than 70% effective in any one season. Are we willing to stay in lock down mode? I think not.

I think we will get to the point in 2021 that Covid 19 or Covid 21 will be treated like the FLU in that we get our vaccine with limited effectiveness and move on with our lives.

In Sweden, in line with national traditions and the culture there, scientists rather than politicians take the lead and establish pandemic policy. Swedish scientists also take responsibility for their decisions and speak honestly of tradeoffs. Johan Giesecke, the country’s former chief epidemiologist, bluntly said on Swedish radio recently that harsh lockdowns make little sense and that it’s the rest of the world that’s conducting an experiment in lockdowns based on shaky models. In Sweden, people are encouraged to stay home, but stores, restaurants, and offices remain open. “Better to have social distancing people can live with for months than severe lockdowns that get reimposed if cases rise once they are lifted,” Giesecke said.

But the rest of the world has chosen the lockdown path, and I fear the upper hand belongs to those who wish to reduce the risk of infection regardless of the high associated costs to the overall health or society.

“20,329 new cases and 750 new deaths in the United States

alert-plus.png
Lowest number of new cases and lowest number of new deaths since the end of March”

Big drops in NY and elsewhere. Our hospital COVID census has been holding steady at 30-32 for the past week.

alert-plus.png
Lowest number of new cases and lowest number of new deaths since the end of March”

Big drops in NY and elsewhere. Our hospital COVID census has been holding steady at 30-32 for the past week.

yes, aside from some exceptions, most of NY is still way emptier than pre pandemic. time square is not crowded at all. probably because most of the retail stores are closed.

alert-plus.png

we've had lows on almost every Sunday, although this is lower than previous Sundays, probably because of how things get reported on weekends. Let's just say government agencies aren't all exactly working on the weekend.

alert-plus.png

I'm sure many are aware by now of how the timeline of this works. For example, the results of decisions made this past week won't be seen until the month of June.

Articles on the interferon-ribavirin-lop-rit study I posted a few days ago. Looks like others think it's definitely promising.
  • Hung et al. demonstrates biological and clinical efficacy using combination therapy with lopinavir/ritonavir, ribavirin, and interferon-1b early in the course of COVID-19. This study is consistent with some prior evidence using combinations of lopinavir/ritonavir plus ribavirin with SARS and MERS.1,4
  • This study illustrates that moderate-sized RCTs can reveal differences in viral load and clinical course, potentially serving as a benchmark for study design. In comparison, the recent trial on remdesivir included more patients – without showing persuasive signs of efficacy.3
  • Based on the combination design of this trial, further studies are urgently needed to validate this medication combination and determine which components are necessary for efficacy (e.g. is interferon-1b truly required for efficacy?).
  • It’s unclear whether early anti-viral therapy could pragmatically be implemented within the United States. For example, if this therapy were currently made available, it might be largely utilized among patients presenting with late-stage disease, yielding minimal benefit.

I'm sure many are aware by now of how the timeline of this works. For example, the results of decisions made this past week won't be seen until the month of June.

Yeup. Going to be playing a game of chicken with the numbers on the rebound.

I agree. Opening things up now may mean we will be wasting the past 8 weeks of pain.

Articles on the interferon-ribavirin-lop-rit study I posted a few days ago. Looks like others think it's definitely promising.
  • Hung et al. demonstrates biological and clinical efficacy using combination therapy with lopinavir/ritonavir, ribavirin, and interferon-1b early in the course of COVID-19. This study is consistent with some prior evidence using combinations of lopinavir/ritonavir plus ribavirin with SARS and MERS.1,4
  • This study illustrates that moderate-sized RCTs can reveal differences in viral load and clinical course, potentially serving as a benchmark for study design. In comparison, the recent trial on remdesivir included more patients – without showing persuasive signs of efficacy.3
  • Based on the combination design of this trial, further studies are urgently needed to validate this medication combination and determine which components are necessary for efficacy (e.g. is interferon-1b truly required for efficacy?).
  • It’s unclear whether early anti-viral therapy could pragmatically be implemented within the United States. For example, if this therapy were currently made available, it might be largely utilized among patients presenting with late-stage disease, yielding minimal benefit.

I'm still confused what lopinavir/ritonavir is doing?

Just read this from NPR.
TL;DR: They are reporting the the sensitivity of the Abbott ID test could be as low as 52%.

alert-plus.png

Big drops in NY and elsewhere.

There is a way that we can do even better:

“When you test, you have a case. When you test you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”

— President Donald Trump

Not the Onion.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

“When you test, you have a case. When you test you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”

— President Donald Trump

Not the Onion.
He probably just had someone read him the House of God rules.

Reactions: 3 users

— President Donald Trump

Not the Onion.
He IS The Onion. He makes you cry inside (for the country) every single day.

• Sad

— President Donald Trump

Not the Onion.

1589558994691.png

— President Donald Trump

Not the Onion.

What’s the context? People complain about too much testing, too little testing, the risks of testing, all while clamoring about the high number of asymptomatic carriers.

He says a lot of questionable stuff, but this quote is reasonable. What’s your point.

• Okay...