You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Around my hospital everyone is taking plaquenil as prophylaxis. Anyone else?
What country is this in?
D
deleted59964
I know - that's what I said ...ETT is not non-invasive.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can we stop with the plaquenil ****? This is Vitamin C for sepsis all over again.
A ****ty study out of Italy with 30 patients and all of a sudden the president thinks it's the cure. Insane.
It's also dangerous talk. Folks are going to take it thinking they're immune and end up spreading more disease.
A ****ty study out of Italy with 30 patients and all of a sudden the president thinks it's the cure. Insane.
It's also dangerous talk. Folks are going to take it thinking they're immune and end up spreading more disease.
Last edited:
Can we stop with the plaquenil ****? This is Vitamin C for sepsis all over again.
A ****ty study out of Italy with 30 patients and all of a sudden the president thinks it's the cure. Insane.
It's also dangerous talk. Folks are going to take it thinking they're immune and end up spreading more disease.
Yesterday I went to three stores, still no flour, no sugar, no milk! Learned my lesson, I don't mind stocking a few pills.
I don't think I will be immune with this med. Caution as usual.
The paranoid survives.
D
deleted171991
Yes, Young People Are Falling Seriously Ill From Covid-19
The risk is particularly dire for those with ailments that haven’t yet been diagnosed
C
View attachment 298616
View attachment 298617
Can you reference this graph and provide a website with updated data please?
Can we stop with the plaquenil ****? This is Vitamin C for sepsis all over again.
A ****ty study out of Italy with 30 patients and all of a sudden the president thinks it's the cure. Insane.
It's also dangerous talk. Folks are going to take it thinking they're immune and end up spreading more disease.
Your post is sheer conjecture... and isn't even backed by 30 counter-examples.
I f I were the president, I'd do the same. Any port in a storm.
First off, vitamin C is very low risk, potentially high reward so compared to all the other iatrogenic crap we do in medicine, I wouldn’t pick vitamin C as a bad one.Can we stop with the plaquenil ****? This is Vitamin C for sepsis all over again.
A ****ty study out of Italy with 30 patients and all of a sudden the president thinks it's the cure. Insane.
It's also dangerous talk. Folks are going to take it thinking they're immune and end up spreading more disease.
Also, there are several Chinese trials showing efficacy of chloroquine. It’s Chinese data, however, so big grain of salt. China has had this virus the longest, where is their data and protocols? All this time, did they figure anything out (aside from quarantining people?)
There isn't data. It's 20 patients in an Italian study that had a decrease in viral swab load. There literally is no data.Your post is sheer conjecture... and isn't even backed by 30 counter-examples.
I f I were the president, I'd do the same. Any port in a storm.
Vitamin C was proven not to work in two recent trials. It's people jumping at a "cure" without any real evidence.First off, vitamin C is very low risk, potentially high reward so compared to all the other iatrogenic crap we do in medicine, I wouldn’t pick vitamin C as a bad one.
Also, there are several Chinese trials showing efficacy of chloroquine. It’s Chinese data, however, so big grain of salt. China has had this virus the longest, where is their data and protocols? All this time, did they figure anything out (aside from quarantining people?)
Also would love to see the Chinese trials showing efficacy of chloroquine that are not just in vitro.
There isn't data. It's 20 patients in an Italian study that had a decrease in viral swab load. There literally is no data.
It's so small as to practically be a case study, but I appreciate the idea. If it helps even a bit, it's worthwhile. I doubt that they'd fudge results with the eyes of the entire world on that team.
But you don't have to fudge results. You overestimate your effect difference, decrease your number of patients and regression to the mean takes care of the rest. I mean sure, give somebody hydroxychloroquine what do I care. It's not arsenic or poison for the most part. It's just voodoo science.It's so small as to practically be a case study, but I appreciate the idea. If it helps even a bit, it's worthwhile. I doubt that they'd fudge results with the eyes of the entire world on that team.
D
deleted171991
I just want to remind everybody what I teach my trainees: EVERY substance we use in medicine, even water or oxygen, can be harmful in the wrong dose, or given to the wrong patient. There is no harmless medication or substance. The sicker the patient, the more careful we should be.
We didn't design the human body. We don't have the blueprints. We still have no idea how the body works at molecular level, what dominos will fall when we play with it.
First Do No Harm. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
We didn't design the human body. We don't have the blueprints. We still have no idea how the body works at molecular level, what dominos will fall when we play with it.
First Do No Harm. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
A slightly different perspective......
www.statnews.com
"If we decide to jump off the cliff, we need some data to inform us about the rationale of such an action and the chances of landing somewhere safe."
Written by John P.A. Ioannidis, professor of medicine, epidemiology and population health, biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.
A fiasco in the making? As the coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data
A fiasco in the making? As the #coronavirus pandemic takes hold, we are making decisions without reliable data.
"If we decide to jump off the cliff, we need some data to inform us about the rationale of such an action and the chances of landing somewhere safe."
Written by John P.A. Ioannidis, professor of medicine, epidemiology and population health, biomedical data science, and of statistics at Stanford University and co-director of Stanford’s Meta-Research Innovation Center.
Is anyone here in NYC? How are things looking there? There is talk about a naval hospital ship being dispatched to New York Harbor.
Manhattan is essentially shut down. Last i checked about 5 people on ECMO in the metroplex. All the Manhattan hospitals are overwhelmed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Overwhelmed how?Manhattan is essentially shut down. Last i checked about 5 people on ECMO in the metroplex. All the Manhattan hospitals are overwhelmed.
Overwhelmed how?
Secondary sources only: but some of the hospitals are running out of ICU beds. While others are getting crazy amounts of admits.
But you don't have to fudge results. You overestimate your effect difference, decrease your number of patients and regression to the mean takes care of the rest. I mean sure, give somebody hydroxychloroquine what do I care. It's not arsenic or poison for the most part. It's just voodoo science.
I'm skeptical just as you are. And time will soon tell whether this appears to be a legitimate intervention. Whole countries, as well as some major hospitals in the US, have added it to their COVID19 protocols.
Put it this way: I sure wouldn't recommend that we take our collective foot off the pedal from trying to create more-targeted, definitive therapies.
The dose people are taking is 200-400 mg/week for prophylaxis. It’s not gonna hurt. (Except for the lupus and RA patients who can’t get their drugs not due to shortages). I’m taking it. We are all directly in the line of fire when we intubateI just want to remind everybody what I teach my trainees: EVERY substance we use in medicine, even water or oxygen, can be harmful in the wrong dose, or given to the wrong patient. There is no harmless medication or substance. The sicker the patient, the more careful we should be.
We didn't design the human body. We don't have the blueprints. We still have no idea how the body works at molecular level, what dominos will fall when we play with it.
First Do No Harm. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
D
deleted171991
PulmCrit- Is Lopinavir/Ritonavir down and out?
A lot has happened since the last post on Lopinavir/Ritonavir (it was only March 4, but it seems like a year ago). Here is a quick reminder of where
Several trials seemed to use Kaletra with ribavirin to find efficacy in previous coronavirus based diseases. Seems like kaletra by itself is not useful, but maybe with ribavirin it can help in COVID? I think I like hydroxychloroquine better, maybe even with azithromycin (because azithro seems to help with anything and everything!)![]()
PulmCrit- Is Lopinavir/Ritonavir down and out?
A lot has happened since the last post on Lopinavir/Ritonavir (it was only March 4, but it seems like a year ago). Here is a quick reminder of whereemcrit.org
Italy now has the most coronavirus related deaths in the world.
www.worldometers.info
Italy COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer
Italy Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
D
deleted171991
Azithro has an immunomodulatory effect even by itself (which I am sure you know about).Several trials seemed to use Kaletra with ribavirin to find efficacy in previous coronavirus based diseases. Seems like kaletra by itself is not useful, but maybe with ribavirin it can help in COVID? I think I like hydroxychloroquine better, maybe even with azithromycin (because azithro seems to help with anything and everything!)
Last edited by a moderator:
B
But still only 3k...Italy now has the most coronavirus related deaths in the world.
Italy COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer
Italy Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.www.worldometers.info
Increasing by almost 500 deaths per day while we're seeing hardly any coming out of China anymore. What's the difference? How many will it be in a week? 2 weeks? What has China done differently?B
But still only 3k...
Increasing by almost 500 deaths per day while we're seeing hardly any coming out of China anymore. What's the difference? How many will it be in a week? 2 weeks? What has China done differently?
China took dramatic government action combined with an almost total social buy in. There were no half measures in the way they conducted their lockdown. All factories, restaurants, schools, and other areas of population mixing closed for weeks. Neighborhood complex security guards given Gestapo-like powers to check temperature upon leaving and entering residential complexes, and in some cases doing daily temperature checks within apartments. No non residents allowed to enter apartment complexes, no matter if its brother or GF of resident. People not allowed to leave their homes without wearing facemasks under penalty of arrest. People with symptoms of Covid were invariably transferred to hospitals/"facilities" whether they liked it or not. Nothing voluntary or home about their quarantines.
The other thing that happened in China was that the initial stage of the outbreak happened during Chinese New Year, a 3 week period of time during which everything was shut down anyway. At first this was a disaster because it led to the seeding of the disease from Wuhan to the rest of China as Wuhan residents traveled to their hometowns and carried the virus with them, but it also ensured that the new epicenters would not explode since everything was shut down already. Then all the Chinese government had to do was extend the CNY shutdowns for a further couple weeks until the outbreak burned itself out. It's not a mystery, a disease can't spread when people are confined to their homes for weeks at a time.
Last edited:
D
deleted643396
B
But still only 3k...
You do realize that the concern here has nothing to do with the death rate, right?
Eye opening experience I found on the medicine section of reddit:
I’m an anesthesiologist, with Lupus. I’m on hydroxychloroquine and tocilizumab (Actemra) infusions monthly. Was exposed last week by an “asymptomatic” healthy patient with no comorbidities who presented for elective surgery. (I say “asymptomatic” for reasons I will elucidate later.)
Three days after my exposure (which I didn’t know about), I developed a fever and sore throat- wasn’t sure why.
Day four: I found out this patient was now suspected COVID positive because a colleague was called to intubate them in the ICU where they were now rapidly declining; my symptoms were the same as previous day but now made sense and I began official quarantine. Was told by my colleague that the story from the patient changed as they became ill: they had been having fevers at home prior to their scheduled procedure but neglected to endorse this during the “screening” that my facility performed for same-day surgery admissions and visitors.
Day five: fever, sore throat, intense malaise, headache; got brought in for a COVID nasal swab. Also swabbed for influenza A and strep... these were unfortunately both negative.
Day six (today): fever, sore throat, headache, and now diarrhea. Continued extreme malaise. Getting up to do anything seems impossible. My breathing feels a little tight and strange, but on my home pulse oximeter the levels are fine. I’m getting lots of fluids and am keeping up with fluid losses from sweating and GI. Taking my hydroxychloroquine as scheduled and around the clock acetaminophen.
Playing the waiting game on my nasal swab results... was told that LabCorp is currently on a 6 business-day turnaround time because they’re inundated. My rheumatologist has said to stay home as long as I feel well enough to take care of myself, as going to the hospital may be ultimately more dangerous for me.
Going a little bit crazy... extreme fear comes and goes in waves. Unsure what the next few days will bring to me. Will keep you all updated on the test results if you’re interested (which I hear have about 63% sensitivity?).
And it continues...
Day 7 after exposure... feeling about the same. Sore throat, headache, nausea, diarrhea, dyspneic with mild exertion. Tried to PoCUS my lungs with my Butterfly iQ and winded myself taking deep breaths.
Feeling even more monumentally exhausted than yesterday which I didn’t think possible, but there it is.
Still waiting for lab tests to come back.
Three other people who were in the room are having degrees of symptoms that I’m having. One with isolated fevers, one with fever and sore throat, and a third with fever, sore throat, malaise and GI symptoms.
And yet, my employers continue to say that all we need are regular surgical masks. This. Is. Not. True. Myself and those 3 colleagues would not be in this position if that were true. Every time I think about it I get angry, which is aggravating my dyspnea...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Right I was thinking about cpap non invasive.doesn't need to be NIV, can be mode of vent via ETT
I'm still inexperienced but what are your thoughts on remdesivir? I realize RCTs are very critical but from what's known so far, is it promising?
Also are ACE inhibitors and ARBs continued to be used? I heard of controversy behind their potential to increase covid infection sites but that's still not confirmed, and the ESC still recommends using it. Also the problems could still arise from high Ang II levels.
Also are ACE inhibitors and ARBs continued to be used? I heard of controversy behind their potential to increase covid infection sites but that's still not confirmed, and the ESC still recommends using it. Also the problems could still arise from high Ang II levels.
No, what is "the concern"?You do realize that the concern here has nothing to do with the death rate, right?
I'm skeptical just as you are. And time will soon tell whether this appears to be a legitimate intervention. Whole countries, as well as some major hospitals in the US, have added it to their COVID19 protocols.
Put it this way: I sure wouldn't recommend that we take our collective foot off the pedal from trying to create more-targeted, definitive therapies.
Could you name a few?
Arch Guillotti
Senior Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
No, what is "the concern"?
Are you serious?
Teva will donate 6 Million tablets through wholesalers to hospitals by March 31, and more than 10 Million within a month
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) announced today the immediate donation of more than 6 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate tablets through wholesalers to hospitals across the U.S. to meet the urgent demand for the medicine as an investigational target to treat COVID-19. The company is also looking at additional ways to address the global need.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) announced today the immediate donation of more than 6 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate tablets through wholesalers to hospitals across the U.S. to meet the urgent demand for the medicine as an investigational target to treat COVID-19. The company is also looking at additional ways to address the global need.
I would like to know what you are thinking too. The high death rate, and severe illness of some young people is a huge concern. Equipment/supply shortages are also big which will just worsen the death rate. What else?Are you serious?
D
deleted643396
I would like to know what you are thinking too. The high death rate, and severe illness of some young people is a huge concern. Equipment/supply shortages are also big which will just worsen the death rate. What else?
It’s hospital beds, ventilators, and healthcare workers that are about to be overwhelmed. The death rate is not the issue. It’s the consumption of resources, which will have downstream affects on all aspects of healthcare. Keep your eye on what is happening in NYC because they will be in trouble really soon.
“Flattening the curve” and “social distancing” have nothing to do with changing the natural death rate of the virus. It is so the spread is slowed and dragged out over time so the healthcare system can keep up. Although, the deaths will be much higher if the healthcare system is overwhelmed.
I did just say that in my post right. Doesn’t that just lead to more death though?It’s hospital beds, ventilators, and healthcare workers that are about to be overwhelmed. The death rate is not the issue. It’s the consumption of resources, which will have downstream affects on all aspects of healthcare. Keep your eye on what is happening in NYC because they will be in trouble really soon.
D
deleted643396
I did just say that in my post right. Doesn’t that just lead to more death though?
I just edited my response.
The previous assertion by others that the virus is not that scary because the death rate is not much higher than the flu and only affects the old completely misses the point of why this is being taken so seriously.
Increasing by almost 500 deaths per day while we're seeing hardly any coming out of China anymore. What's the difference? How many will it be in a week? 2 weeks? What has China done differently?
Or the stopped reporting, who knows.
D
deleted643396
I did just say that in my post right. Doesn’t that just lead to more death though?
@FFP posted a video somewhere yesterday of a Governor Cuomo press conference who actually does a really good job breaking down the problem and why the extraordinary steps are being taken.
This family lost four members. Two currently on “life support”.
The ones who are left say that the dead were healthy. It’s the obesity I bet that was their biggest problem unfortunately.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted171991
While obesity alone decreases respiratory functional capacity and increases oxygen consumption, it's not obesity that gives ARDS, or HLH, or HF. It's most likely a genetic issue, where they had severe cytotoxic response on top of that poor cardiorespiratory reserve. That's what kills a lot of people in C19.View attachment 299107
This family lost four members. Two currently on “life support”.
The ones who are left say that the dead were healthy. It’s the obesity I bet that was their biggest problem unfortunately.
Also, most likely they had (undiagnosed) diabetes and hyperglycemia, an excellent growth medium for any microbe, and an immunodepressant. Btw, beats me why we still feed (diabetic) people sugary tube feeds in the ICU, especially during infectious diseases.
Last edited by a moderator:
While obesity alone decreases respiratory functional capacity and increases oxygen consumption, it's not obesity that gives ARDS, or HLH. It's most be.likely a genetic issue, where they had severe cytotoxic response on top of everything.
Also, most likely they had diabetes and hyperglycemia, an excellent growth medium for any microbe. Btw, beats me why we still feed diabetic people sugary tube feeds in the ICU, especially during infectious diseases.
Based on what I have heard as risk factors to poor outcomes, in absence of evidence that they had other risk factors (mom was 70s) everyone else early to mid fifties.
Just saying if the were otherwise healthy taking the word of their family members...yes obesity leads to diabetes. Bu I am not gonna make that assumption just cuz they are fat they are diabetic.
Yeah, maybe genetics too. Maybe my genes are a strong predictor that I will do fine with this illness. IDK
I see you edited your post immediately. Trying to play nicer in the sandbox?
Last edited:
Start that insulin drip! Unfortunately, the ICU I work at doesn’t seem to care about glycemic control. Blood glucose in the 200s is the norm with “sliding scale insulin”... fools!While obesity alone decreases respiratory functional capacity and increases oxygen consumption, it's not obesity that gives ARDS, or HLH, or HF. It's most likely a genetic issue, where they had severe cytotoxic response on top of that poor cardiorespiratory capacity. That's what kills a lot of people in C19.
Also, most likely they had diabetes and hyperglycemia, an excellent growth medium for any microbe, and an immunodepressant. Btw, beats me why we still feed diabetic people sugary tube feeds in the ICU, especially during infectious diseases.
D
deleted171991
There are multiple issues at play here:It’s most..... lost your thought?
Based on what I have heard as risk factors to poor outcomes, in absence of evidence that they had other risk factors (mom was 70s) everyone else early to mid fifties.
Just saying if the were otherwise healthy....
1. We have obese people, most likely with at least borderline hyperglycemia, with a poor immune system, and decreased cardiorespiratoy reserve (if they have to run a mile even while "healthy", they "die").
2. They probably had a severe form of viral pneumonia, most likely due to their poor immunity.
3. What may have killed them was not only the cytotoxic effect of viral pneumonia, but some form of exaggerated immune response +/- poor hospital care (they probably ended up in the same hospital system). I have seen morbidly obese people survive ARDS of other infectious causes with proning etc. I can also see a scenario where they become tachycardic as hell and allow to tick away at 130-140 for days, because people are afraid to give beta-blockers to sick patients.
4. The fact that we have four relatively young people from the same family die makes me think that the immune storm in this disease plays a cardinal role in death. Almost all people who have severe forms have fever. (That by itself is weird for somebody like me, who hasn't had a fever in decades.) I think people's immune systems respond differently to this virus, and that's the key to life or death.
5. Totally unrelated, I think, at some point, we will discover that even postprandial hyperglycemia is bad in an infectious disease, and that sick people/animals avoid food for a reason.
6. I think obesity is a factor, but not enough by far. As I said, I've seen bigger people survive ARDS with good care (not with C19 though). I know it's not easy, because if you take a small lung and a big person, to begin with, and you knock out most of that lung, there isn't much to work with.
Last edited by a moderator:
I want to hear more re your thoughts on beta blockers on critically ill. Often tachycardia is a compensatory response to maintain CO and DO2. I’ve seen beta blockers given to tachy pts with unrecognized heart failure and pts arrest.There are multiple issues at play here:
1. we have obese people, most likely with at least borderline hyperglycemia, with a poor immune system, and decreased cardiorespiratoy reserve (if they have to run a mile even while "healthy", they "die").
2. they probably had a severe form of viral pneumonia, most likely due to their poor immunity
3. what may have killed them was not only the cytotoxic effect of viral pneumonia, but some form of exaggerated immune response +/- poor hospital care. I have seen morbidly obese people survive ARDS of other infectious causes with proning etc. I can also see a scenario where they become tachycardic as hell and allow to tick away at 130-140 for days, because people are afraid to give beta-blockers to sick patients.
4. the fact that we have four relatively young people from the same family die makes me think that the immune storm in this disease plays a cardinal role in death. Almost all people who have severe forms have fever. (That by itself is weird for somebody like me, who hasn't had a fever in decades.) I think people's immune systems respond differently to this virus, and that's the key to life or death.
For septic tachy, I favor vasopressin over NE (SICU nurses refuse to titrate this... idiots). I try to avoid beta blocker. I’ll tolerate HR 120s. If 130-140s and on pressors, I get worried with beta blockers and negative inotropy. What do u do?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 575