Covid19 - clinical / epidemiological thread

Started by deleted59964
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I want to hear more re your thoughts on beta blockers on critically ill. Often tachycardia is a compensatory response to maintain CO and DO2. I’ve seen beta blockers given to tachy pts with unrecognized heart failure and pts arrest.

For septic tachy, I favor vasopressin over NE (SICU nurses refuse to titrate this... idiots). I try to avoid beta blocker. I’ll tolerate HR 120s. If 130-140s and on pressors, I get worried with beta blockers and negative inotropy. What do u do?
I’m not FFP, but there’s a paper on the use of Esmolol in sepsis.

Unscrupulous clinicians extrapolate that to everybody and end up knocking patients off in the process.
 
I want to hear more re your thoughts on beta blockers on critically ill. Often tachycardia is a compensatory response to maintain CO and DO2. I’ve seen beta blockers given to tachy pts with unrecognized heart failure and pts arrest.

For septic tachy, I favor vasopressin then NE. I try to avoid beta blocker. I’ll tolerate HR 120s. If 130-140s and on pressors, I get worried with beta blockers. What do u do?
Obviously you're right. And I HATE knee-jerk stuff in the ICU (e.g. "if tachycardia give beta-blockers").

Unfortunately, people also tend to fall on the other side of the dogma, i.e. "NEVER treat sinus tachycardia with beta-blockers, because sinus tachycardia has a reason". Guess what? Sinus tachycardia also has consequences, as in worsening diastolic dysfunction +/- CAD, making the heart stiffer, increasing lung water, making lung disease even worse. The occasional success reported with esmolol + phenylephrine in sepsis may have a reason.

Especially since C19 patients are usually not hypotensive, it doesn't make sense (to me), to let them run away at 140 beats/min. I don't let ANY patient run at those speeds for a long-time. I start getting nervous around 110-115, especially in people with co-morbidities.

I am not that concerned about oxygen delivery in sepsis, more about peripheral perfusion, since we know that the body delivers about 5 times the amount of oxygen needed, and it's the mytochondria that get poisoned in a sepsis. I'd rather have a MAP of 50-60 with good urine output and warm extremities at 110/min on some esmolol, then a MAP of 65 with HR of 140 and/or clamped down from pressors.

To be clear, I only use beta-blockers for sinus tachycardia if the patient is running at 110-120+ all the time, and I cannot fix the cause (e.g. cytokines, NOT decreased SVR).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Obviously you're right. And I HATE knee-jerk stuff in the ICU (e.g. "if tachycardia give beta-blockers").

Unfortunately, people also tend to fall on the other side of the dogma, i.e. "NEVER treat sinus tachycardia with beta-blockers, because sinus tachycardia has a reason". Guess what? Sinus tachycardia also has consequences, as in worsening diastolic dysfunction +/- CAD, making the heart stiffer, increasing lung water, making lung disease even worse. The occasional success reported with esmolol + phenylephrine in sepsis may have a reason.

Especially since C19 patients are usually not hypotensive, it doesn't make sense (to me), to let them run away at 140 beats/min. I don't let ANY patient run at those speeds for a long-time. I start getting nervous around 110-115, especially in people with co-morbidities.

I am not that concerned about oxygen delivery in sepsis, more about peripheral perfusion, since we know that the body delivers about 5 times the amount of oxygen needed, and it's the mytochondria that get poisoned in a sepsis. I'd rather have a MAP of 50-60 with good urine output and warm extremities at 110/min on some esmolol, then a MAP of 65 with HR of 140 and/or clamped down from pressors.

I don't treat tachycardia with vasopressors, unless the cause of tachycardia is possibly hypotension.
So you are adding metoprolol or esmolol with NE/vaso?
 
I want to hear more re your thoughts on beta blockers on critically ill. Often tachycardia is a compensatory response to maintain CO and DO2. I’ve seen beta blockers given to tachy pts with unrecognized heart failure and pts arrest.

For septic tachy, I favor vasopressin over NE (SICU nurses refuse to titrate this... idiots). I try to avoid beta blocker. I’ll tolerate HR 120s. If 130-140s and on pressors, I get worried with beta blockers and negative inotropy. What do u do?

Oxygen delivery is rarely a problem in sepsis, as evidenced by the fact that dobutamine, transfusion, and getting the svo2 up does nothing to improve outcomes. POCUS and or formal echo should be done routinely on septic patients throughout their hospital stay, IMO, just to make sure you’re not missing folks with cardiomyopathy, but most of the time the early to mid disease course will be characterized by an (unnecessarily) high CO / hyper dynamic state.

Some of the speculation and early data on BB is interesting, and I use it every now and then in sepsis because I am familiar with its effects in SIRS from burns.

 
So you are adding metoprolol or esmolol with NE/vaso?
If the perfusion part looks to be under control (again, I value urine output and capillary refill more than MAP), yes. What I may do is "permissive hypotension" if that protects the heart or the peripheral perfusion. I don't like overworking the heart, except in young fit patients.

I work in an academic community (as in small, non-tertiary center) SICU, so I don't see as much sepsis as in fellowship (MICU) by far. But that's how I think about excessive tachycardia. I am a big fan of the middle way and moderation in everything, including heart rate, and a big enemy of perfection and of chasing numbers (that's what my surgeons do). I think excessive tachycardia and/or vasoconstriction may harm as much as excessive hypotension. I prefer a patient who looks well to good-looking numbers.

tl;dr: Severe tachycardia can be as bad as severe hypotension, and the treatment should not always be (more) pressor. The reason people did well in the esmolol + phenylephrine trials may have been that their hearts did well. Respect diastolic dysfunction and silent CAD, especially in hypertensive (i.e. LVH) patients (which the obese here most definitely were).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
SCCM put out their COVID-19 guideline. Hopefully it’s less trash than surviving sepsis but I doubt it.




Also interestingly

50FCBAD5-0E2C-453F-89BB-91C2282EFB55.jpeg
 
While obesity alone decreases respiratory functional capacity and increases oxygen consumption, it's not obesity that gives ARDS, or HLH, or HF. It's most likely a genetic issue, where they had severe cytotoxic response on top of that poor cardiorespiratory reserve. That's what kills a lot of people in C19.

Also, most likely they had (undiagnosed) diabetes and hyperglycemia, an excellent growth medium for any microbe, and an immunodepressant. Btw, beats me why we still feed (diabetic) people sugary tube feeds in the ICU, especially during infectious diseases.
I saw a reportage yesterday on french television and the "healthy" young that were doing poorly were fat...
 
I saw a reportage yesterday on french television and the "healthy" young that were doing poorly were fat...
That's probably because "healthy" fat people have metabolic syndrome, with all the silent bad stuff, including chronic systemic inflammation, plus (and especially) decreased cardiorespiratory reserve with increased requirements.

Again, not saying that obesity (i.e. metabolic syndrome) is not a significant factor.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's probably because "healthy" fat people have metabolic syndrome, with all the silent bad stuff, including chronic systemic inflammation. But also because doctors tend to underestimate/forget about diseases that are undiagnosed.

Again, not saying that obesity is not a significant factor.
I've never seen an obese 70+y/o old survive a "real" ICU admit although i've been told repeatedly that this observation is not suppoted by the "litterature".
Baring neoplasia or traumatic death you can abuse your body pretty good and live until your 7th decade.
 
Do you have more than one liners?
3.5k deaths in an overwhelmed eldery population like northern Italy doesn't stike me as a huge tragedy.
What i'm more concerned about is what will happen when we get a real pandemic with millions of deaths.

Whoa. I’m not trolling you but these are not numbers, these are people. They still enjoyed reading, and socializing, and living their lives. It is a tragedy, and every one of these people that we either can’t save or can’t offer care to is going to be a tragedy.

I’m not saying that I’m going to cry over every death, because I’m not. But we owe it to ourselves and to our patients to bear witness to this event for what it really is.
 
But we owe it to ourselves and to our patients to bear witness to this event for what it really is.
A viral infection?

For the past 50y we have had a growing disconnection between life and death, probably in part because of the progress we have experienced in medical care.
I'm all for lowering infant and maternal mortality, vaccination etc etc but not accepting that 80+ y/o (or younger with comorbidities) die of a viral infections is strange to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heat wave in France in 2003 killed 15k in 15 days...

To clarify my position: people live and die everyday, yes this is a pandemic and will overwhelm resources in certain areas.
BUT due maybe to our understanding of infectious disease and confinement/distancing etc, or maybe due to the fact that this virus is not very agressive the numbers of deaths will be much less than previous pandemics.
I don't view this as preventable deaths: we are not yet able to control the life cycle and mutations of every virus or bacteria in existance so it's only logical to periodically experience widespread infections.
 
Last edited:
A viral infection?

For the past 50y we have had a growing disconnection between life and death, probably in part because of the progress we have experienced in medical care.
I'm all for lowering infant and maternal mortality, vaccination etc etc but not accepting that 80+ y/o (or younger with comorbidities) die of a viral infections is strange to me.
I can’t remember if you are one of the posters I generally disagree with, but on this, I am with you. The demented, geriatrics, terminally ill, etc should not be sucking resources away from the people who can survive this crisis. Let’s not be “bleeding hearts” and try to save everyone. All of us will die. There is no shame or dishonor in choosing to focus our resources during a crisis on those who can make it and making those who can’t comfort care.
 
I can’t remember if you are one of the posters I generally disagree with, but on this, I am with you. The demented, geriatrics, terminally ill, etc should not be sucking resources away from the people who can survive this crisis. Let’s not be “bleeding hearts” and try to save everyone. All of us will die. There is no shame or dishonor in choosing to focus our resources during a crisis on those who can make it and making those who can’t comfort care.
Your family first!

We should learn something from China.
 
Oz also said that the upcoming study from Aix Marseille Universite is going to change the perspective on how to treat the coronavirus. The study showed success using hydroxychloroquine, a drug commonly used to treat malaria and autoimmune diseases like lupus, as a treatment to cure the coronavirus.


Well if Dr OZ says it on national TV it must be true.
 
Oz also said that the upcoming study from Aix Marseille Universite is going to change the perspective on how to treat the coronavirus. The study showed success using hydroxychloroquine, a drug commonly used to treat malaria and autoimmune diseases like lupus, as a treatment to cure the coronavirus.


Well if Dr OZ says it on national TV it must be true.
Oz? Oz??? He should be called "Dr. Alex Jones, DNP", after all the quackery he's promoted for money.
 
That's probably because "healthy" fat people have metabolic syndrome, with all the silent bad stuff, including chronic systemic inflammation, plus (and especially) decreased cardiorespiratory reserve with increased requirements.

Again, not saying that obesity (i.e. metabolic syndrome) is not a significant factor.
Well thanks for clarifying that.
 
Once the TV doctors start stating we have medicine to treat Covid 19 the public will believe them. We all know the science behind this so called “cure” is sketchy at best. But, maybe the panic will die down a bit. FYI, I have Plaquenil and a Zpack ready because my chance of getting Covid 19 is at least 50/50 if not higher.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Once the TV doctors start stating we have medicine to treat Covid 19 the public will believe them. We all know the science behind this so called “cure” is sketchy at best. But, maybe the panic will die down a bit. FYI, I have Plaquenil and a Zpack ready because my chance of getting Covid 19 is at least 50/50 if not higher.
So you’re the reason drug is on shortage...
 
Need a biofresher. Viral load should play an important role on severity of illness, is that correct? First example is a PPE slipup on the mask while caring for a covid+ patient but assume some transmission vs a direct sneeze to the face by someone covid+. Presumably the 2nd case is much worse?

If that is true, I wonder if given the option we stagger staffing as much as possible to limit repeat exposure.
 
Covid-19 protocols, from the Alfred ICU in Australia:
 
Heat wave in France in 2003 killed 15k in 15 days...

To clarify my position: people live and die everyday, yes this is a pandemic and will overwhelm resources in certain areas.
BUT due maybe to our understanding of infectious disease and confinement/distancing etc, or maybe due to the fact that this virus is not very agressive the numbers of deaths will be much less than previous pandemics.
I don't view this as preventable deaths: we are not yet able to control the life cycle and mutations of every virus or bacteria in existance so it's only logical to periodically experience widespread infections.

I would not be surprised if the actual death rate turns out to be closer to the range of 0.2 - 0.1%. We have no idea how many are carriers and most of the infections appear to be subclinical or mild. I doubt this will be anywhere near as serious as the polio or Spanish flu epidemics our earlier generations lived through (with common sense measures and no media frenzy).
 
I would not be surprised if the actual death rate turns out to be closer to the range of 0.2 - 0.1%. We have no idea how many are carriers and most of the infections appear to be subclinical or mild. I doubt this will be anywhere near as serious as the polio or Spanish flu epidemics our earlier generations lived through (with common sense measures and no media frenzy).
Before that, it will be more like 9-10%, because of the hospitals being overwhelmed. That's happening RIGHT NOW in Italy. Expect the worst, people! Be mentally prepared to run out of beds, ventilators, PPEs, health, ?life.
 
Once the TV doctors start stating we have medicine to treat Covid 19 the public will believe them. We all know the science behind this so called “cure” is sketchy at best. But, maybe the panic will die down a bit. FYI, I have Plaquenil and a Zpack ready because my chance of getting Covid 19 is at least 50/50 if not higher.
Just FYI, other countries pulled (hydroxy)chloroquine from their pharmacies the second the rumor started, only for hospital use. That's called proper response.
 
People are missing the point by saying 'the actual death rate will be close to 0.1%' if they are then taking those numbers and subsequently comparing it to the flu mortality.

How many people do you think get the flu each year who are never actually tested for it? Who knows what the 'actual' flu numbers are. That might mean the 'actual' flu numbers are closer to a mortality of 0.05%.

Even South Korea's numbers are over 1% and we are far behind them in being able to isolate cases and reduce the spread

Anyway you slice it, this is going to be worse than the flu until we have a proven vaccine/treatment. People are just grasping at straws here to make themselves feel better at night.
 
 
Wonder if that is why germanies numbers r so good??
I hate mixing in politics on this thread, but, really, this is why Germany's numbers are so good:




It all boils down to national leadership. It's a national security (PREPAREDNESS) matter. It's too big for anybody else. Early quarantine, mass testing and tracking of cases is how one beats the disease.

Another, very possible, explanation is that they are still in the early days. There is no miracle treatment yet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Before that, it will be more like 9-10%, because of the hospitals being overwhelmed. That's happening RIGHT NOW in Italy. Expect the worst, people! Be mentally prepared to run out of beds, ventilators, PPEs, health, ?life.

I agree and we are preparing.
Unclear though why this happened in this one area in Italy. Apparently the area has the highest concentration of Chinese immigrants. Italy has a socialized national health care system.
 
We lament our piss poor national response right now, but what's going to happen in a month when people in NY can't find a hospital bed but OH or Iowa have managed to keep their numbers down?

Are we going to see locked borders between states? Mass movement from one place to another? The fact that we are still lacking a national response is going to make this a bloodbath.
 
I agree and we are preparing.
Unclear though why this happened in this one area in Italy. Apparently the area has the highest concentration of Chinese immigrants. Italy has a socialized national health care system.
It's also a rich area, with many older people (young people can't afford expensive cities). And a very touristic area. Some of the pictures from the weeks before the tsunami looked like NYC's 5th Ave on a beautiful summer day: PACKED, so very high transmission probably.

Even with PERFECT quarantine and control, this virus takes another 10-15 days just to peak, due to the already infected cases, so it keeps overwhelming the system for weeks to come. And the Italians are still amateurs at quarantine, the Chinese say, hence the thousands of new cases and almost thousand deaths EVERY DAY.

And don't blame their healthcare. Lombardy's hospitals are on par with ours. If anything, socialized healthcare and lack of defensive medicine allows them to do the right thing for the patients, and not worry about getting paid or sued.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has actually read the French study on hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin, you would see there are major holes in it.

It was not randomized or blinded.

Only 36 patients, 20 in the hydroxychloroquine group and 16 in the control group.

Their graphs of miraculous negative pcrs in the experimental group fail to mention that there were an additional 6 pts initially in the hydroxychloroquine group, 3 who transfered to the ICU, 1 who died who tested negative for pcr the day before death. These were excluded from their outcomes.

No patients in the control group died or went to the icu.

They don't mention whether patents were matched for comorbidities and don't include a detailed evaluation of patent status at day 0

Don't include all cause mortality at day 14-21. Important as everything we've read states most who die, do so in two to three weeks on average.

Only include viral load at day six.

Mortality in the control group could very well be better than in the experimental group regardlesss of viral load.

This is why it's irresponsible for our president to be announcing the use of this drug so prematurely to the whole world.
 
Last edited: