Two factors we can do to manipulate gas exchange of oxygen without mechanical circulatory support: Mean airway pressure and FIO2.
If you look at a normal pressure vs time curve on a ventilator for volume control, and compare it to pressure control:
Assuming all other variables (Insp time, vent rate, PEEP) are all the same, pressure mode gives you a higher mean airway pressure for any given peak inspiratory pressure, which in turn gives you better oxygenation parameters.
The downside is that ventilation might be affected depending on the compliance of the lung, which can be attenuated by modes that use the pressure control wave form but guarantees a certain tidal volume (VC+ on covidian, Volume autoflow on drager, pressure control volume guaranteed on GE).
Looking at this, you realize there are several parameters you can manipulate to change the airway pressure: the I:E ratio can change the mean airway pressure as much as the peep.
Lastly, you can tell many of the modes can be manipulated to do the same thing. APRV (bilevel for covidian) can be achieved through pressure control and simply changing the I:E time. I used to troll people in the ICU when i dropped people off and put them on APRV mode but it's really pressure support or pressure control or I:E of 1:2.
Mastery of these different modes is vital to supporting your patient as they have increased need for oxygenation.