craiglist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is craiglist trustworthy? are there ever any cases of sellers providing fraud or fake information? If they sound pretty legitimate, can you trust the information the sellers are giving? I need a housing for the research internship.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So is craiglist trustworthy? are there ever any cases of sellers providing fraud or fake information? If they sound pretty legitimate, can you trust the information the sellers are giving? I need a housing for the research internship.

Thank you!

Uhm, yes. I wouldn't tread the waters of craiglist without caution.

People have tried to scam me a couple times, and being that I dont use it very often, it's a lot. Just be careful, don't be dumb (moneyorders are a big red flag).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking for Med Schools on craigslist, you are doing it wrong.

what are you trying to buy? I dont use craigslist for anything that I cannot go pick up myself after seeing it. for anything else use ebay.

Craigslist provides a decent selection of hookers, both HIV positive and negative. If you see a bump in one of the bikini pics, that's a tranny flag... i mean red flag.

Thank you!

I have got 3 past jobs off craigslist and bought a TV. All legit. Id say a phone call and a meeting at their office would establish some trust.

If they reply telling you have inherited a million dollars but they live in Africa....run.

I have got 3 past jobs off craigslist and bought a TV. All legit. Id say a phone call and a meeting at their office would establish some trust.

If they reply telling you have inherited a million dollars but they live in Africa....run.

to Africa

No, everything that you read or see on the internet is 100% trustworthy.

If you use craigslist, I assure you that someone will try to scam you. That being said, I've rented 3+ apartments on craigslist and subletted one. You just need to be cautious. Be wary of the typical scam-- the missionary or religious (but very honest) man/woman from Nigeria or the UK who is out of the country and uses weird English and lots of religious references and wants you to send some money and they will send back the difference, etc etc. Also, if pictures of an apartment are not consistent with the usual asking price (ie too good to be true), its definitely a scam.

In short, never rent sight unseen. Use craigslist to get into contact with actual realtors (or actual people with local phone numbers) and set up actual viewings and you'll be fine.

If you use craigslist, I assure you that someone will try to scam you. That being said, I've rented 3+ apartments on craigslist and subletted one. You just need to be cautious. Be wary of the typical scam-- the missionary or religious (but very honest) man/woman from Nigeria or the UK who is out of the country and uses weird English and lots of religious references and wants you to send some money and they will send back the difference, etc etc. Also, if pictures of an apartment are not consistent with the usual asking price (ie too good to be true), its definitely a scam.

In short, never rent sight unseen. Use craigslist to get into contact with actual realtors (or actual people with local phone numbers) and set up actual viewings and you'll be fine.

:thumbup: The condo that I am currently renting with my fiancee is great, and I found the listing on craigslist. We moved here so I could start school. We looked at many places that we discovered on craigslist. Some were impressive, and the owners were kind and welcoming. Other places were trainwrecks, and the owners were real shysters. It's a crapshoot. That's why it's essential to have a face to face before agreeing to anything.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i've bought/sold furniture and applied to jobs using craigslist. My friends have used it to find roommates/places to live. Of course, they verified that the person was real by meeting up with them IN PERSON and viewing whatever was being bought IN PERSON.
But you have to be careful, obviously.

i've bought/sold furniture and applied to jobs using craigslist. My friends have used it to find roommates/places to live. Of course, they verified that the person was real by meeting up with them IN PERSON and viewing whatever was being bought IN PERSON.
But you have to be careful, obviously.

ok so I should meet the person and actually see the room I am thinking about for sublet...but my research internship starts in a month...am I supposed to fly to the city way before the internship, meet the owner and actually see the house, and then decide? what should I do?

or maybe skype??? hmmm

ok so I should meet the person and actually see the room I am thinking about for sublet...but my research internship starts in a month...am I supposed to fly to the city way before the internship, meet the owner and actually see the house, and then decide? what should I do?

or maybe skype??? hmmm

Yes

or maybe skype??? hmmm

I think it'd be worth going to take a look at it.

Tips for Craigslist:

-Meet in a public place if possible
-Accept ONLY cash if selling
-If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is (stolen, fake, etc.)
-Use common sense

I've used Craigslist several times and have never had any issues. Again, common sense is your best asset.

I don't mean to be rude, but use some common sense! The OP sound rather naive. CL is a public forum, so you can trust the ads as much as you can trust a stranger. Sure, lots of people find roommates, cars, etc. on CL, but there are also people who will be scammed, robbed or killed. The last two are probably rare, but it has happened. Are you willing to put a deposit down on a room that you've never seen in person? If so, you are the perfect target for a scam. Webcam chats are useless for renting room - you can't judge the neighborhood, you can't smell the place and you probably won't have high enough resolution to see physical problems with the room.

I found my last room-for-rent off CL. I traveled there, but I also made appointments to see about 10 different places on that day. That way, I don't travel for a single ad. Most of those places were horrible in-person. One was covered in cat fur, even though the photos didn't show it. Another had some really sketchy folks living in the apartment next door. My apartment ended up great, but after a year, I had some major conflicts with the roommate. Luckily, I finished my program by then and moved back.

I'm not fond of Craigslist. I've only ever found one good roommate on there and he's still my roommate. Then again its probably my fault cuz I suck at saying no to people with sob stories! My advice is, well yea you're desperate but be picky because living situations make you or break you.

Another thing to keep in mind with sublets is whether it's official or not. Not having a signed lease agreement, the landlord not knowing, etc can cause a huge headache if you aren't careful.

I love craigslist, I use it frequently for buying and selling (my last 2 cars were from craigslist), and have found apartments and roommates there too.