This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesse2490

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am posting this to get a feel of what I can expect in the coming year.
I am applying exclusively to D.O. schools and I would like help choosing schools that are a better fit for me.

My Stats:
GPA Overall: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.71
MCAT: 499
Shadowing: 40 hours w/ a neurosurgeon
Volunteer: 12 hours (I will increase these hours before I apply)

Other Info (may or may not be relevant):
I have hundreds of hours of clinical experience because I've been a full time medical scribe since for an internal medicine doctor since 10/15.
I am a single mother to my son who has disabilities.
I am extremely low income.
I live in Washington state.
I am a first generation college student.
I am not a minority.
I am 26 years old.

I know my areas of weakness are volunteering and my MCAT score. I found that I can volunteer at a friend's church with my son, so I don't have to hire a babysitter. I will assist in helping take care of our local homeless population. As far as the MCAT goes I do not feel that I have adequate time/money/resources to retake it before the application cycle opens up. I plan to readdress this issue in December if an interview invite is not offered.

I would prefer to stay in the northwest, but would be willing to go anywhere (in the U.S.) to get my education. I was hoping that someone could help me choose schools that will be more forgiving of my areas of weakness.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

You could try PNWU-COM in WA and WesternU-COMP in Oregon. Other schools to consider are:
ACOM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Any new schools that open for 2017 (probably in Utah, Texas, Arkansas)
Your MCAT is on the low side but near the median for some of these schools. Your GPA is good but you will need to apply to at least 15 schools and you may receive some interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
You could try PNWU-COM in WA and WesternU-COMP in Oregon. Other schools to consider are:
ACOM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
CUSOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Any new schools that open for 2017 (probably in Utah, Texas, Arkansas)
Your MCAT is on the low side but near the median for some of these schools. Your GPA is good but you will need to apply to at least 15 schools and you may receive some interviews.

I plan to apply to 15 or more schools because of my low stats. How can I find information on the new D.O. schools? Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to apply to 15 or more schools because of my low stats. How can I find information on the new D.O. schools? Thank you so much for your help!
It will be hard to find information on the new schools until they actually begin accepting applications. The AACOMAS will presumably add the schools when this happens. There may be 2 in Arkansas, 1 in Utah and 1 in Texas.

You sounds like a good candidate for PWNU. You have an interesting life story, putting together a good app and applying early and broadly should give you some interviews. What do you plan on doing with your child during the long hours of studying and rotations of medical school? Just something ADCOMS will probably ask if you include that on your app.

I agree with Faha's list above except I wouldn't apply to LUCOM. That is just my personal opinion though

You sounds like a good candidate for PWNU. You have an interesting life story, putting together a good app and applying early and broadly should give you some interviews. What do you plan on doing with your child during the long hours of studying and rotations of medical school? Just something ADCOMS will probably ask if you include that on your app.

I agree with Faha's list above except I wouldn't apply to LUCOM. That is just my personal opinion though
Thank you for your words of encouragement! I must admit that I hate hearing the child care question, mostly because it never seems to be asked of fathers. I worked throughout my entire bachelor's degree, while I was a TA for a microbiology class. I know how to manage my time. I set aside at least an hour each day where my son and I can connect/play. I also have strong family support. My mother lives with me and frequently watches my son. She'll move with me when I am accepted to medical school.