Credentials needed for top program interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently discovered this forum, and it is filled with great posts! I have read that 225 was the avg step 1 score for matching in ophtho last year, but I've also read that 70 people applied to Iowa (a top tier program) with scores above 250! I am wondering what it takes to get an interview at some top programs. So, for all the people who have been posting on the Interview thread, please give a general idea of what credentials you had that corresponding with interviews at these programs. I don't want to prod too much, but generally what range of step I scores are correlating with interviews, +/- research or out rotation experience, etc. Thanks already for the wealth of knowledge that has been provided on this board. Hopefully this thread will help people like me (in between the 225 and 250 range) know where to apply, and where not to. Also if anyone has heard of step 1 cutoff's at certain programs, what are they?

Members don't see this ad.