tomplatz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
When I was signing up (USAF) I asked my recruiter if having a masters degree would make me an 0-2 during med school. He called AFIT and he told them (so he said) that all HPSPers w/o prior experience were O-1's. But that I should get 2 years credit of time in service or time in rank because of the degree.

I get the feeling I got hosed. Anyone know how this works? How I should try and pursue it?

Thanks

cdreed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2002
Omaha, NE
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm pretty sure what your recruiter told you is accurate. All HPSP recipients (regardless of prior service status) are O-1s and receive the same benefits while in med school. I have friends with graduate degrees who were O-3/4s prior to med school. They were subsequently demoted to O-1 once they matriculated.

You may, however, rank up faster once you graduate.

edmadison

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2001
Lactate > 15
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
But, the master's degree must be directly related to medicine. I didn't get squat for my law degree for this reason. This is called contstructice credit (or in my case non-credit)

Ed

About the Ads

tomplatz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Who would I take this up with, the Air Force personnel center?

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2002
Status (Visible)
When I was a Navy Corpsman we had a GMO who was a LCDR for the 2nd time! He had been a pilot and made it to LCDR, then went to USUHS as an O-1 all over again. So if you think you had it bad, this poor guy took one hell of a pay cut!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.