credit for graduate work

Started by tomplatz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tomplatz

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was signing up (USAF) I asked my recruiter if having a masters degree would make me an 0-2 during med school. He called AFIT and he told them (so he said) that all HPSPers w/o prior experience were O-1's. But that I should get 2 years credit of time in service or time in rank because of the degree.

I get the feeling I got hosed. Anyone know how this works? How I should try and pursue it?

Thanks
 
I'm pretty sure what your recruiter told you is accurate. All HPSP recipients (regardless of prior service status) are O-1s and receive the same benefits while in med school. I have friends with graduate degrees who were O-3/4s prior to med school. They were subsequently demoted to O-1 once they matriculated.

You may, however, rank up faster once you graduate.
 
But, the master's degree must be directly related to medicine. I didn't get squat for my law degree for this reason. This is called contstructice credit (or in my case non-credit)

Ed
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was a Navy Corpsman we had a GMO who was a LCDR for the 2nd time! He had been a pilot and made it to LCDR, then went to USUHS as an O-1 all over again. So if you think you had it bad, this poor guy took one hell of a pay cut!!