credit for graduate work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomplatz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was signing up (USAF) I asked my recruiter if having a masters degree would make me an 0-2 during med school. He called AFIT and he told them (so he said) that all HPSPers w/o prior experience were O-1's. But that I should get 2 years credit of time in service or time in rank because of the degree.

I get the feeling I got hosed. Anyone know how this works? How I should try and pursue it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure what your recruiter told you is accurate. All HPSP recipients (regardless of prior service status) are O-1s and receive the same benefits while in med school. I have friends with graduate degrees who were O-3/4s prior to med school. They were subsequently demoted to O-1 once they matriculated.

You may, however, rank up faster once you graduate.

But, the master's degree must be directly related to medicine. I didn't get squat for my law degree for this reason. This is called contstructice credit (or in my case non-credit)

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
Who would I take this up with, the Air Force personnel center?

For Army HPSP they actually approached us and gave us all the details. I don't know how the AF does it.

Ed

When I was a Navy Corpsman we had a GMO who was a LCDR for the 2nd time! He had been a pilot and made it to LCDR, then went to USUHS as an O-1 all over again. So if you think you had it bad, this poor guy took one hell of a pay cut!!