Creighton Phoenix vs Drexel vs Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocketScientist05

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to decide between these 3 schools. I'm a FL resident so they're all very comparable tuition wise with some variation in COL. RFU is slightly cheaper COL in North Chicago. Distance from family isn't that relevant since they're all somewhat far from home.

Thinking about aiming for Optho or something more surgical so I'm definitely leaning towards more competitive specialties.

Creighton Phoenix
$65k tuition/estimated $97k COA.

Pros
  • Phoenix would be a nice place to live. Being from Florida and going to undergrad in California, I want to use it's more similar to what I'm used to and like.
  • People here seemed genuinely happy from students to admissions to faculty.
  • May want to match to a program on the west coast, but I don't think it'd make a huge difference with these schools.
  • I like the class size of 130ish.
  • I want to say they have more established rotation sites.
Cons
  • Relatively new campus which might be a good and a bad thing. Overall not too worried, but I could be overlooking something.

Drexel
$62k tuition/estimated $95k COA.

Pros
  • Somewhat more well known, but I don't know how much more/if it really matters.
  • I want to say there are more opportunities to match into optho or another more surgical specialty.
  • Philly seems nice in some areas, I don't think the Drexel area is supposed to be that bad.
Cons
  • Pretty big class size.
  • I'm not too sure about their rotations, but I know Hahnemann closed.
  • Don't know how I feel about the weather, but I think it could potentially be fun.
RFU
$64k tuition/estimated $89k COA.

Admittedly I know the least about this school.

Pros
  • It's a med school, and it's somewhat well known?
Cons
  • Don't know how I feel about North Chicago.
  • Heard they don't have a teaching hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You seem to like Creighton AZ the most and with your pros/cons, it makes the most sense! Try visiting for a second look day to make sure you like the school

I second that. I think Creighton in AZ sounds like maybe best fit for you. Are you on WL anywhere else ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I second that. I think Creighton in AZ sounds like maybe best fit for you. Are you on WL anywhere else ?
I'm waiting to hear back post II from UCLA. If somehow I miraculously got in, that would be my top choice easily. Having gone their for undergrad, it feels most like home. The cheaper tuition even with OOS doesn't hurt either :)

Reactions: 1 user
Will likely have to take a research year to match optho from these so possibly think about which city has the best connections which would likely be philly due to jefferson temple upenn

Will likely have to take a research year to match optho from these so possibly think about which city has the best connections which would likely be philly due to jefferson temple upenn
Yeah this is not true. Students from all three schools frequently match ophtho without a research year. Jeff/Temple/UPenn is a good combo, but NW/UChicago/UIC/Rush/Loyola/Cook Co are also good programs to connect with. At the end of the day, you just need like three pubs and a few posters to match if your scores are average for Ophtho (~256 step 2). You can do that from anywhere.

Aren’t these like 45 minutes from RFU wo traffic

Yes, although I’m not sure why that would prevent a student from forming connections at those programs. Chicago is a great ophtho city and a school in its metro area certainly benefits.

Edit: even still, this isn’t really my main point. My point is that any of these programs would be fine, but I wouldn’t specifically choose Drexel because of a nebulous “more connections” idea