CSU DVM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmbrwlfm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a CSU specific thread for people applying to the vet program for questions (interviews, letters of acceptance, etc.) so there is a central thread to go to.

I'm hoping we'll start to hear soon (in a few short weeks) about interviews and so on.

Good luck and hopefully I'll be part of the CSU DVM Class of 2012 :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think letters won't go out for like 3 more weeks....

I know I am beginning to lose my mind! Are you all in-state or OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in state. What about everyone else. I was doing fine until right before Christmas, then people started asking me if I had heard anything yet. Now I'm fixated on hearing something ... hahaha.

I'm excited to hear as well! I'm OOS, which makes the chances pretty slim, but there's always hope. What are you guys interested in (LA, SA, food, equine, etc.)?

I feel that. I am OOS too and I can't wait to hear back. I am SO nervous. I just hope I get in somewhere. I think at this point I'd rather hear something, even an update.

I think at this point I'd rather hear something, even an update.

Amen. I have an interview at Penn in a week and a half, so right now that's at the top of the anxiety list, but besides them, I haven't heard from anywhere (I applied to Penn, Davis, CSU, WSU, and Purdue), so it'd just be nice to start hearing something! Patience is a virtue?

I also applied to Penn, but I haven't heard anything yet. Received the postcard, but that's it. Not even an email to confirm that they received my postcard after I sent it back in. My nails are growing shorter by the minute!

I'm excited to hear as well! I'm OOS, which makes the chances pretty slim, but there's always hope. What are you guys interested in (LA, SA, food, equine, etc.)?

I'm SA or equine. I was told by my SA boss that I wasn't tough enough to do equine though! :(

In staters should hear from CSU around 1/14

I'm an OOS-er who used to be in-state...I went to their pre-vet day back in '98 (am I dating myself?). The wait's driving me nuts--I hope at least one of us gets in!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when OOS applicants will hear?

I'm not positive but you can email the lady who sent you the application is complete email, she is very prompt to reply!

I just sent an email to CSU about OOS notifications. I'll let you all know when I find out... the wait is killing me!

for what its worth, i found out last year on 1/19 via email that i was accepted... and i was OOS :)

good luck!!!!

Yes, yes, please let us know what she says about OOS apps!

Also, does CSU do email or snail mail?

Oops...you just said email :scared:

CSU is driving me nuts. At least with other schools I have some kind of idea where I am in the process. With CSU I have NO idea and I have no idea when I will hear back. I know you said 1/19 but if CSU people haven't even interviewed yet then would we really find out about being accepted as early as 1/19 this year? I hope so! I am dying!

CSU is driving me nuts. At least with other schools I have some kind of idea where I am in the process. With CSU I have NO idea and I have no idea when I will hear back. I know you said 1/19 but if CSU people haven't even interviewed yet then would we really find out about being accepted as early as 1/19 this year? I hope so! I am dying!
AdCom met yesterday... should hear soon!

If you are out-of-state, there is no interview for CSU. That's how they can decide so early.

I know they don't interview OOS, that's why I said they haven't interviewed CSU ( I meant in state, sorry!) yet. I was being stupid and forgot that it wouldn't matter since IS and OOS aren't in competition for spots. I guess we should hear back between mid-January and mid-February and then in state kids interview like Feb 9-15 or something. Good luck to everyone.

Invitations for in-state interviews were sent via email today!! Exciting! :D

And rejections...? Or OOS acceptances?

yes, and no... OOS will depend on where from

Can you be slightly less cryptic? It's hard to understand what you mean. Will certain OOS people be hearing yes and no based off of their home state? Or they'll hear soon depending upon how long USPS takes to reach their house from Colorado? Please clarify for the neurotic! :D

Can you be slightly less cryptic? It's hard to understand what you mean. Will certain OOS people be hearing yes and no based off of their home state? Or they'll hear soon depending upon how long USPS takes to reach their house from Colorado? Please clarify for the neurotic! :D

Sorry. Based on home state. Notifications should be via e-mail. :oops:

Now I am SUPER nervous. Are WICHE states sent invites first? Are rejections or invites sent first? Or are they sent out together?

Sorry for all the questions.

And how do they notify based on state? That sounds unusual. In state vs out of state? Or they run through the states alphabetically and send out notifications that way? (That would be odd...)

Yikes, the more you know sometimes the more confusing it gets!

BTW, Fly On the Wall...how do you come by this information? Just curious. :)

Now I am SUPER nervous. Are WICHE states sent invites first? Are rejections or invites sent first? Or are they sent out together?

Sorry for all the questions.

Don't be nervous.. It's almost the weekend. See a movie, have a beer! Sorry.. I know how you must feel.:eek:

WICHE states still depend on the state. With instant informations centers (like this website) they really try to send invites/interview info/rejections at the same time. In my day it was all about how thick the envelope was (thin bad, thick good) but that was before the internet.

And how do they notify based on state? That sounds unusual. In state vs out of state? Or they run through the states alphabetically and send out notifications that way? (That would be odd...)

Yikes, the more you know sometimes the more confusing it gets!

BTW, Fly On the Wall...how do you come by this information? Just curious. :)

That would be odd! Seems some states want a ranked list sent back to them for another layer of bureaucracy.

My information? Fly on the wall :)

So can one assume that if they are in-state and did not receive an interview invite email today that they will be receiving a snail mail rejection letter in the next couple days?

So can one assume that if they are in-state and did not receive an interview invite email today that they will be receiving a snail mail rejection letter in the next couple days?

No.. give the e-mails till Monday (not sure why.. just a fact of life with e-mail notifications).

Hey Tmbrwlfm,

If you really can't wait, I can check your VMCAS number against the list they sent me of interview invites. I don't know how complete that list is since it only contains 96 names/VMCAS numbers and they stated in the email that they will be interviewing approximately 2 people for every spot available (so should be closer to 150). I suspect they may be emailing in groups so don't give up hope yet!!

Hey Tmbrwlfm,

If you really can't wait, I can check your VMCAS number against the list they sent me of interview invites. I don't know how complete that list is since it only contains 96 names/VMCAS numbers and they stated in the email that they will be interviewing approximately 2 people for every spot available (so should be closer to 150). I suspect they may be emailing in groups so don't give up hope yet!!

Ahh - Thank you!!!! I'm not sure how much longer my nerves can hold up. Even if it is a "rejection" I am at the point where I just want to know .... hahaha. (Aren't we all?!).

Hey Tmbrwlfm,

Holy Crap, that sounds like some sort of major screw up that you ended up with that info :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:! Pretty awesome for those of you waiting for info :D.

any word on OOS notifications? the wait is killing me...

Hey Tmbrwlfm,

If you really can't wait, I can check your VMCAS number against the list they sent me of interview invites.

:laugh: Pretty smart! Too bad you can't include your detective skills in your VMCAS application... but you could bring it up at the interview when they ask you:

"Is there's anything about you that we didn't learn from your application that you'd like us to know?"

I got an interview invite today via email!!! I almost passed out!

Congrats ElvisMarie6!!!

:laugh: Pretty smart! Too bad you can't include your detective skills in your VMCAS application... but you could bring it up at the interview when they ask you:

"Is there's anything about you that we didn't learn from your application that you'd like us to know?"

LOL, I guess we all have our strengths. Now ask me how much my stellar detective skills help me on biochem tests (not at all!). I keep joking with my parents that if vet school doesn't work out, I'm joining the CIA. It really gets them riled up :D.

[.

Last edited:
LOL, I guess we all have our strengths. Now ask me how much my stellar detective skills help me on biochem tests (not at all!). I keep joking with my parents that if vet school doesn't work out, I'm joining the CIA. It really gets them riled up :D.

I'm thinking cosmetology school, myself!! :D

Got the official rejection letter (in state, close to CSU).

Planned on it, as I was literally told by someone in management at the vet hospital that "they didn't think I should join 'their team' " because I was second-guessing the mis-diagnosis and treatment plan for my horse.

Our new vet has inspired me to learn more about the disease. In the past few months we rehabbed 2 horses with the disease, with complete success. It's defiantly something I want to consider as a career now.

As with all schools, there are good and bad doctors everywhere. CSU's cardiology department is second to none... but there are certain residents in other departments there that I wouldn't let touch one of our barn cats.

There is a very good equine doctor that graduated from CSU several years ago... who knows the story of our horse. He took his DVM degree and made it what he wanted... which is exactly what I'll do with my Ross degree.

There is a very good laminitis doctor that graduated from CSU several years ago... who knows the story of our horse. He took his DVM degree and made it what he wanted... which is exactly what I'll do with my Ross degree.

Tonight I got my passport information together... already have my application into Ross :( I would hate to leave Northern Colorado... but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Good luck everyone.. for what it's worth.. I haven't met a Ross student (we have a group every year spending their clinical year here) that wasn't just as motivated and capable as our best home-grown student.

I think one of CSU's best lameness vets retired several years ago. It's interesting to me that they may not have been able to fill his shoes, and I'm glad that you posted your experiences, WannaFixFounder It can be hard to get good clinicians in academia....I can't remember the name of the doctor who retired, but he saw my horse in 2003 and I think she was one of his last patients. He was able to diagnose her (something no one else was able to do), but not fix her and she's now living in a field...

Too bad you can't take your horse to Ross, WFF!!

Any OOS / non-WICHE hear yet? I've been on the edge of my seat. Am I correct in thinking we should probably hear in the next week?

I'm OOS and have heard nothing recently.

2 yrs ago my friend who was OOS heard about mid-March. He was excepted and had an amazing application. My friend that was denied seemed to hear a little later than that last year.

Not every school is everyone. CSU isn't a good match for me, and CSU did me the favor by denying me :) I'm most disappointed as I love this area and hate the fact I'll have to move away from my ranch and into an apartment to pursue my education. For those of you that are lucky enough to get accepted to CSU, Ft. Collins, CO is an amazing place and CSU has a lot to offer.

Good luck everyone!