This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElphieElla

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm kind of new here but i've been lurking around the forum for a few months now. So, I am currently at a cc in California and I want to transfer (Fall 2017) to a 4 year university. I entered cc Fall 2013 and changed my major 1.5 years ago. The problem is that I completely messed up in the 2015-2016 school year. I had a ~3.6 gpa by summer 2015 and by the end of Spring 2016 I had a 3.1 gpa.
So my mother was diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis along with other autoimmune diseases. Knowing this, I decided to become a part time student so I took calc based physics 1 and calc 2 only. I ended up with a C in physics and a D in calculus. This was mainly due to me being absent and not participating in group activities( because I was absent). She was doing a chemo treatment at the time, as well as other tests at a hospital that was an hour a day. She didn't have anyone else who could take her so I had to do it. Anyway, Spring came and I chose to retake calc 2 and took Gen chem 2 but dropped both because I was doing pretty mediocre and I didn't like the idea of just passing. I'm honestly depressed, I feel like I ruined my chances for vet school. The only way I can transfer Fall 2017 is by attending the nearest CSU. I'd most likely have to wait another year to attend a UC but I don't know if it even matters. I don't think other CSUs would even accept me because I had a terrible year last year. My father did end up leaving my mother and he never did his taxes so I lost my financial aid which is why I also did part time. I asked my sibling to help me out with her and they are. I really need advice on whether or not I should apply this year. To be honest, I was so scared last year because school made me think about the future but also how'd I miss out on my mom's last years of life. I felt so guilty and so I invested more time towards her and it shows :(. I didn't know where to post this and apologize for being all over the place but I'd really appreciate any advice on where to go from here.

I have volunteered/ worked before last year and I'm starting to do so this semester as well but last year was not productive at all. The only upside of going to a CSU nearby is that I'll continue to be with my mom but the doctors are already telling her to prepare.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered moving closer to your mother and just taking some time off school while you establish residency in Colorado? You mentioned that you were currently having some financial difficulties. Doing your undergraduate in California would likely be cheaper for you than doing it out in Colorado right now.

Nobody can tell you what the perfect decision is in this situation. It's okay that you took time away from school to care for your mother and spend time with her while she's very ill.

What IS important is determining whether or not you're up to attending school right now. I wouldn't say you've ruined your vet school chances now. It's two grades in classes that can be retaken. If you force yourself to continue school when you can't focus on it and your grades continue to suffer, that's harder to bounce back from.

I'm really sorry about your mother and can't imagine what you've endured over the past few years. Know that it's okay to take a step back and continue school later, if that's what you need.

It's your decision to make, in the end. Best wishes.

Have you considered moving closer to your mother and just taking some time off school while you establish residency in Colorado? You mentioned that you were currently having some financial difficulties. Doing your undergraduate in California would likely be cheaper for you than doing it out in Colorado right now.

Nobody can tell you what the perfect decision is in this situation. It's okay that you took time away from school to care for your mother and spend time with her while she's very ill.

What IS important is determining whether or not you're up to attending school right now. I wouldn't say you've ruined your vet school chances now. It's two grades in classes that can be retaken. If you force yourself to continue school when you can't focus on it and your grades continue to suffer, that's harder to bounce back from.

I'm really sorry about your mother and can't imagine what you've endured over the past few years. Know that it's okay to take a step back and continue school later, if that's what you need.

It's your decision to make, in the end. Best wishes.
I'm sorry. I meant to ask if I should attend a California State University or go to a University of California. I was not referring to Colorado State University. I'd like to attend UC Davis but they rarely accept any students from a California State University that is not Cal Poly San Luis Opispo or Pomona. They do mention that the school you attend is not important but not only would I have attended a cc but the best I could have done to transfer was my local CSU.

Thank you for responding and I have considered taking some time off but 7 years in undergrad seems too long. I'd most likely apply to vet school 2 years after I graduate so I can get more experience. I'm not completely hopeless but I do want to know what steps to take.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did 2 years at a California CC and then transferred to UC Davis. It worked well for me since I wasn't too far away from UCD so I just commuted from home.
There are benefits from both, but I guess it's going to depend on your priorities. It should be the cheaper option to go the CSU route, which is important when you're planning on stacking vet school debt on top of that. I dont know what CSU you're local to (slo and Pomona might be different) but I think there would be more opportunities to get involved with research at a UC. Research isn't something that's required to apply, but it's another way to diversify your application.

I personally don't think it's super important to graduate from a UC. Stay home, save money and attend CSU. Continue to do well in focus on the "upward trend" in grades. You can recover from a couple of bad semesters, and when you apply you can always look to schools that focus more on last 45/60 units.

I did 2 years at a California CC and then transferred to UC Davis. It worked well for me since I wasn't too far away from UCD so I just commuted from home.
There are benefits from both, but I guess it's going to depend on your priorities. It should be the cheaper option to go the CSU route, which is important when you're planning on stacking vet school debt on top of that. I dont know what CSU you're local to (slo and Pomona might be different) but I think there would be more opportunities to get involved with research at a UC. Research isn't something that's required to apply, but it's another way to diversify your application.

I personally don't think it's super important to graduate from a UC. Stay home, save money and attend CSU. Continue to do well in focus on the "upward trend" in grades. You can recover from a couple of bad semesters, and when you apply you can always look to schools that focus more on last 45/60 units.

My local CSU is Northridge. The closest UC is UCLA and I don't see that happening unless I wait another year. Cal Poly pomona is 90 mins away.
CSUN does have a bridge with UCLA in stem research but only 10 students get in.

Thanks for responding. I will most likely end up going to CSUN for biochem. I'll probably apply to Pomona as well but I highly doubt I'll get in cause most of their science majors are impacted.

May I ask what kind of research you did at Davis? Was is related to your major?

7 years in undergrad seems too long

It's not uncommon. I'm on my 6th year, though I haven't been attending throughout all 6 years. I "should" have graduated in May 2015 with a bachelor's. There's nothing wrong with needing to take your time. I've seen vet schools post their class stats and I've seen 4.5-5 years as "average time spent in undergrad" -- this means that there must have been people who spent at least 5 years. Especially considering your circumstances, I think they will understand. They want to know about you as a person and about your circumstances. Grades aren't everything.

It's not uncommon. I'm on my 6th year, though I haven't been attending throughout all 6 years. I "should" have graduated in May 2015 with a bachelor's. There's nothing wrong with needing to take your time. I've seen vet schools post their class stats and I've seen 4.5-5 years as "average time spent in undergrad" -- this means that there must have been people who spent at least 5 years. Especially considering your circumstances, I think they will understand. They want to know about you as a person and about your circumstances. Grades aren't everything.
If I attend a CSU I'd finish in 6 years total. If I wait a year I'd finish in 7 years but I'd attend a UC. I'd still want to take 2 years off to improve my application. I'd be applying by the time I'm 26.
Thanks! I'm not worried about taking too long but if I plan to take a two year gap, I know some of my course will not count.

If I attend a CSU I'd finish in 6 years total. If I wait a year I'd finish in 7 years but I'd attend a UC. I'd still want to take 2 years off to improve my application. I'd be applying by the time I'm 26.
Thanks! I'm not worried about taking too long but if I plan to take a two year gap, I know some of my course will not count.
It shouldn't matter whether you go to a UC or a Cal State school. But yeah, you want your prereqs to still count and not be "expired".

It shouldn't matter whether you go to a UC or a Cal State school. But yeah, you want your prereqs to still count and not be "expired".
Okay, thanks! The only reason I wouldn't attend CSUN is that I'd have to major in biochemistry instead of zoology or animal science.
I was wondering, if I attend CSUN how would I go about doing research?

Okay, thanks! The only reason I wouldn't attend CSUN is that I'd have to major in biochemistry instead of zoology or animal science.
Major in something you like/are interested in. Just get the prereqs done. Talk to professors about research opportunities, that's usually the easiest way to start I feel like. But research is by no means required for vet school.

Major in something you like/are interested in. Just get the prereqs done. Talk to professors about research opportunities, that's usually the easiest way to start I feel like. But research is by no means required for vet school.
Alright, I'll definitely do that :) thanks!
I just assumed I'd have to major in biochemistry because of the stats I saw from UC Davis. Most were animal science and biology majors.

I think you're over-thinking the CSU vs. UC thing. I mean, you have nothing to lose by applying to UCLA, CSUN, and Cal Poly Pomona and if you get into UCLA it would be the obvious choice ... but I don't think it'd be worth an additional year of undergrad to go to UCLA. And if going to CSUN means being around more for you mom then that's 100% the best choice and I don't think any school would fault you for that.

There IS research at CSUs. I went to SDSU for undergrad and worked in an astrophysics lab researching neutron and quark stars. My college boyfriend majored in math and chemistry and worked his last 2 years in a chemistry lab and had several publications to his name. The opportunity is there for research, you just have to wiggle your way into it.

Personally I would choose a major based on what you enjoy since you don't need a specific degree to get into vet school (as long as you satisfy the pre-reqs).

I think you're over-thinking the CSU vs. UC thing. I mean, you have nothing to lose by applying to UCLA, CSUN, and Cal Poly Pomona and if you get into UCLA it would be the obvious choice ... but I don't think it'd be worth an additional year of undergrad to go to UCLA. And if going to CSUN means being around more for you mom then that's 100% the best choice and I don't think any school would fault you for that.

There IS research at CSUs. I went to SDSU for undergrad and worked in an astrophysics lab researching neutron and quark stars. My college boyfriend majored in math and chemistry and worked his last 2 years in a chemistry lab and had several publications to his name. The opportunity is there for research, you just have to wiggle your way into it.

Personally I would choose a major based on what you enjoy since you don't need a specific degree to get into vet school (as long as you satisfy the pre-reqs).

I guess i'll apply to others CSUs and see what happens cause i'd like to major in zoology, animal science or plant science. If I don't get in, I'll just go to CSUN.

Yeah, I can't apply to UCLA because I'd be missing prereqs(ochem 2 and calc 3) but CSUN will let me take them during the summer. I'll be retaking calc 2 next semester, ochem 1 and I might take physics 2+3 as well.

The research you did sounds pretty cool/interesting. I'll ask professors when the moment comes. Thank you!!