General Admissions & OTCAS CSUDH Applicant Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The email that we got that after they received our application did say that we will be notified via USPS, but I assumed that was just the official response (as opposed to an unofficial response, similar to an unofficial transcript, for example). The email I got was from Patty. I also think they've said that responses will be out in late November every year, but if this year is like other years, they will stagger the acceptances until they fill the spots until late November. So, it's basically, I imagine they're saying "don't worry until late November". I think it's totally possible acceptances could have been sent out, but not yet from anyone in this forum... who knows!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol totally my fear that no one on this forum hasn’t been accepted yet
The email that we got that after they received our application did say that we will be notified via USPS, but I assumed that was just the official response (as opposed to an unofficial response, similar to an unofficial transcript, for example). The email I got was from Patty. I also think they've said that responses will be out in late November every year, but if this year is like other years, they will stagger the acceptances until they fill the spots until late November. So, it's basically, I imagine they're saying "don't worry until late November". I think it's totally possible acceptances could have been sent out, but not yet from anyone in this forum... who knows!
o

Lol totally my fear that no one on this forum hasn’t been accepted yet

o

Lol! What would be the dang odds. I wonder if they'll do interviews then... I've seen where they call interviews like early November and then they are notified a few days later.. I wish I knew exactly their process... like behind the scene look of the administrative process.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I remembered in the other forum, someone mentioned their cohort having a facebook group and seeing how many people got in at a time. I searched fb for cohort 14 (I think that would be us, I'm not even sure) and it looks like it's just admins that are in it, so it doesn't look like any rounds of acceptances have been sent out (either that, or students haven't been notified of the group). Just thought I'd add my little Nancy Drew adventure I had this morning lol, and hope that relaxes some people's minds.

Reactions: 2 users
Just checked Facebook this Sunday for Cohort 14. As of today, it officially exists and there are 3 members and 2 admins in the group. Guess some of the first rounds of acceptances were sent out already. Good luck to you all!

Just checked Facebook this Sunday for Cohort 14. As of today, it officially exists and there are 3 members and 2 admins in the group. Guess some of the first rounds of acceptances were sent out already. Good luck to you all!

There are no acceptances sent out yet. The 3 currently in the Cohort 14 FB page are already in the program probably from Cohort 13. We will most likely start to see acceptances this Friday, Oct 27. For Cohort 12, they started sending out acceptances the last week of October, so I envision it being the same for us. Last year, they sent them out 2nd week of October. Probably the admission committee have been more busy this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if that means it's more competitive this year (with more applicants)! And yeah, the 5 members were there when I posted last. Previous fb groups have 100+ members so there's bound to be a good chunk of people that are not in that years cohort (possibly professors, from previous cohorts, etc).

I wonder if that means it's more competitive this year (with more applicants)! And yeah, the 5 members were there when I posted last. Previous fb groups have 100+ members so there's bound to be a good chunk of people that are not in that years cohort (possibly professors, from previous cohorts, etc).

It honestly doesn't seem like there are more applicants... maybe there are.. but I was reading back in regular OTCAS discussion threads and many people seem to not even bother applying to CSUDH bc of the competition..I have read people with great stats and chose not to apply because they feel it's a waste of time since there isn't some sort of concrete pattern in regards to what they look for to accept students.. and I've spoken to the OTs in the clinic I did my hours at and most of them said through out the years they hear less and less students apply to CSUdh (idk how true or accurate that is, bc seems like the number of applicants is always high). So who knows! It could be they're busier bc of an increase in applicants or it could be other factors that's delaying them? Sigh.. lol this waiting period sure is building character in all of us.

I’m really hoping I’m the few of the avg stat pple that get in

I’m really hoping I’m the few of the avg stat pple that get in
Seriously!! My daily routine consists of waking up, checking my e-mail for any signs of acceptance, check this forum ,check mycsudh, then check the Facebook page and check if I got any mail!!! This wait is killing me

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously!! My daily routine consists of waking up, checking my e-mail for any signs of acceptance, check this forum ,check mycsudh, then check the Facebook page and check if I got any mail!!! This wait is killing me

LOL! Me too!!! That's why I do when I wake up, and through out my day....lol ugh! I just wanna know!

Yeah, I'm in LA! Raised in the south bay but living on the westside now. I'm housesitting so I can't check my mail every day :laugh: Relying on you guys to tell me news!

There are no acceptances sent out yet. The 3 currently in the Cohort 14 FB page are already in the program probably from Cohort 13. We will most likely start to see acceptances this Friday, Oct 27. For Cohort 12, they started sending out acceptances the last week of October, so I envision it being the same for us. Last year, they sent them out 2nd week of October. Probably the admission committee have been more busy this year.
It's Friday the 27th guys! Keep us posted if anyone hears anything....

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and I've been anxiously waiting for the mail too! Hopefully it will all be over soon. We are all in this together! Sending positive vibes from Orange County

If they really do send out the letters via postal mail instead of emails then we might not get them until tomorrow or next week. I know someone from cohort 12 and his letter was postmarked Oct 27, 2015, but im not sure if they got their first notification via email or postal mail.

If they really do send out the letters via postal mail instead of emails then we might not get them until tomorrow or next week. I know someone from cohort 12 and his letter was postmarked Oct 27, 2015, but im not sure if they got their first notification via email or postal mail.
I feel like from previous years the pattern starts with an email first and the had copy mail comes in a few days later....

What if they just send it all at once near Thanksgiving and there's no earlier admissions this year... lol

What if they just send it all at once near Thanksgiving and there's no earlier admissions this year... lol

Like what someone said earlier.. what if no one on this forum got any notice but notices started going out already lol. :arghh: That would be weird, terrible and what would be the odds lol.

Like what someone said earlier.. what if no one on this forum got any notice but notices started going out already lol. :arghh: That would be weird, terrible and what would be the odds lol.
That someone is also me! Just call me Worst Case Scenario Girl! I've had a lot of free time on my hands to sit and think. lol

I know someone who works for a different department at CSUDH, and she said four weeks is generally how long it takes to start sending acceptances for masters programs. She was also shocked that no one (at least with what we know based on this forum) has heard back yet. She said they have to look at all applications before they start sending acceptances because they don’t want to risk missing a more qualified applicant. Going off of that, I’ve come up with these possibilities: they’re sending all acceptances at once or in larger groups than usual since we haven’t heard back yet, they have a lot of applicants, they’ve modified their selection process and need more time to go through applications, or those meeting their criteria for the best applicants just aren’t posting on this forum. If I see her anytime soon (I usually see her Fridays), I’ll let you all know if she knows anything else though she said she doesn’t know anyone working in the OT department.

That someone is also me! Just call me Worst Case Scenario Girl! I've had a lot of free time on my hands to sit and think. lol

LOL! Omgosh hahahha, ya I haven't had this much time to sit and think as I have these past few months! I'm believing this entire process including this waiting period is building character in all of us.. growing us.. & the growing pain is real! I'm already preparing for worst case scenarios and trying to be prepared just in case I don't make it this year by making plans on how to increase my chances next year if I don't get in this year.

I know someone who works for a different department at CSUDH, and she said four weeks is generally how long it takes to start sending acceptances for masters programs. She was also shocked that no one (at least with what we know based on this forum) has heard back yet. She said they have to look at all applications before they start sending acceptances because they don’t want to risk missing a more qualified applicant. Going off of that, I’ve come up with these possibilities: they’re sending all acceptances at once or in larger groups than usual since we haven’t heard back yet, they have a lot of applicants, they’ve modified their selection process and need more time to go through applications, or those meeting their criteria for the best applicants just aren’t posting on this forum. If I see her anytime soon (I usually see her Fridays), I’ll let you all know if she knows anything else though she said she doesn’t know anyone working in the OT department.

My fiancé and I both applied to the program. His "stats" are extremely competitive..plus he has a masters in public health. his application is greatly qualified and competitive. We live together.. he doesn't post on this forum and his status hasn't changed either! I check both of our CSUDH portal everyday lol. So I'm just hoping decisions havent been made yet!

I just wanna know how the process works! I wanna know the behind the scenes process. Like, how many are in the admissions committee..

From what I understand (based on my professors on admission committee for grad program at my university) they go back and forth fighting for applicants so maybe that's why it's taking them longer? They can't reach agreements lol

Last edited:
Keep us updated if anyone hears anything this week! November will soon be upon us!

So bizarre that no one has heard back yet esp with no interviews. Thinking back to the previous CSUDH Discussion forum, I don't think any cohort waited this long to hear back except for the years that they did interviews! Still patiently waiting :nailbiting:

So bizarre that no one has heard back yet esp with no interviews. Thinking back to the previous CSUDH Discussion forum, I don't think any cohort waited this long to hear back except for the years that they did interviews! Still patiently waiting :nailbiting:
I used to think they only notified people on Fridays but I tracked back past dates and it happens any day of the week except for Sunday’s

I know!! Maybe they'll do interviews?! If that's the case I HOPE SO and I hope I at least get an interview!! I'm dreaming of hearing great news next Monday if so, best birthday ever - if not.... ugh! I wonder what's the hold up.. unless it's just us :(

I know!! Maybe they'll do interviews?! If that's the case I HOPE SO and I hope I at least get an interview!! I'm dreaming of hearing great news next Monday if so, best birthday ever - if not.... ugh! I wonder what's the hold up.. unless it's just us :(
Omg hahaha I’m hoping to hear the best news ever on Saturday for the best birthday too :xf:

Hi everyone!
Here are my stats:
School: California State University, Fullerton
Overall GPA: 3.84
Pre-Req GPA: 3.77
GRE: (V): 150 (Q): 156 (AWA): 4.5
Hours: 150 hours in Geriatrics
Job Experience: 2+ years as a behavior interventionist

I was wondering what the chances of me getting into the CSUDH program looked like with my stats. I got rejected last year, and since then I boosted my AWA score and replaced one of my LOR with a stronger one. Does CSUDH care about accepting more males than females?

& Good luck to everyone applying!

What were your stars last year?? if you don’t mind sharing

I too am from CSUF and graduated last Spring a Kinesiology major!

Just got all nervous reading through this forum!

My stats-
School: University of Southern California
Major: Human Biology | Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.5
GRE: (V): 152 (Q): 154 (AWA): 5
Hours: took OT 410 instead of hours but previously had over 50 hours at a pediatric therapy center
Job Experience: 2 years in an unrelated field
Letters of rec: 1 from an OT professor that I had for 3 semesters, 2 from work (didn't need the 1 from an OT since I took OT 410)

I haven't heard back at all either. Did anyone else apply through the packet instead of through OTCAS? I hope there isn't a difference.

Just got all nervous reading through this forum!

My stats-
School: University of Southern California
Major: Human Biology | Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.5
GRE: (V): 152 (Q): 154 (AWA): 5
Hours: took OT 410 instead of hours but previously had over 50 hours at a pediatric therapy center
Job Experience: 2 years in an unrelated field
Letters of rec: 1 from an OT professor that I had for 3 semesters, 2 from work (didn't need the 1 from an OT since I took OT 410)

I haven't heard back at all either. Did anyone else apply through the packet instead of through OTCAS? I hope there isn't a difference.

OTCAS was definitely no longer required but still had to go through Cal State Apply application system (which is essentially another type of centralized application system) in addition to submitting the packet to the department. I submitted my application to the university through Cal State Apply and also submitted application to the department. Did you go through Cal State Apply?

OTCAS was definitely no longer required but still had to go through Cal State Apply application system (which is essentially another type of centralized application system) in addition to submitting the packet to the department. I submitted my application to the university through Cal State Apply and also submitted application to the department. Did you go through Cal State Apply?
Yeah! I did Cal State Apply and got the confirmation email that it was submitted. I hate the waiting.

Wow they must be sending out all the acceptances all at once this year! It’s November and no one in this forum has heard yet

Hi all! I've found this website very useful during the application/admissions process. I applied to CSUDH for 2018 too and am really hoping to get in. It is my #1 school for many reasons. Here are my stats below.

University: UCLA
Major: Bachelor of Science, Anthropology; Minor: Spanish
Overall Undergrad GPA: 3.43
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: 167 V 160 Q 5.5 AWA – I actually took it twice and I guess CSUDH takes your best AWA score, so that is the best V&Q / AWA combination I have (otherwise it was 166/157/5.5 or 167/160/5.0)
Observation/Volunteer hours: 80 hours at a pediatric clinic
Other experience/extracurricular: 2 yrs front office staff at outpatient mental health office
LORS: 1 from OT at the same pediatric clinic; one from anatomy&physiology professor at my community college (I had to go back to school for prereqs); 1 from work supervisor

I initially received a hard letter in the mail saying they received my application and that I still needed to submit two transcripts. However on MyCSUDH it does not say I have anything in my "to-do list." Sounds like others are having similar glitchy experiences with their MyCSUDH experience. I'm just hoping that the department or university notifies me in time if I do need to get the transcripts again (seems unlikely), but I know for sure the hard copies were in the MOT packet so that's the most important part. Fingers crossed!

Hope we all hear back soon, and best wishes to all of you!

Last edited:
Hi all! I've found this website very useful during the application/admissions process. I applied to CSUDH for 2018 too and am really hoping to get in. It is my #1 school for many reasons. Here are my stats below.

GRE: 167 V 160 Q 5.5 AWA – I actually took it twice and I guess CSUDH takes your best AWA score, so that is the best V&Q / AWA combination I have (otherwise it was 166/157/5.5 or 167/160/5.0)
Other experience/extracurricular: 2 yrs front office staff at outpatient mental health office
LORS: 1 from OT at the same pediatric clinic; one from anatomy&physiology professor at my community college (I had to go back to school for prereqs); 1 from work supervisor

I initially received a hard letter in the mail saying they received my application and that I still needed to submit two transcripts. However on MyCSUDH it does not say I have anything in my "to-do list." Sounds like others are having similar glitchy experiences with their MyCSUDH experience. I'm just hoping that the department or university notifies me in time if I do need to get the transcripts again (seems unlikely), but I know for sure the hard copies were in the MOT packet so that's the most important part. Fingers crossed!

Dang, nice GRE score! I was wondering what made you take it again after getting your first score? Those scores are higher than what most OT schools look for, so just curious! I remember CSUDH said the average combined GRE score of admitted students was 305-310 at the info session. Were you looking at other schools too? (admittedly I don't know the averages of other schools)

I just checked mycsudh on my phone and it looks like the site is down until nov 6? Omg

Last edited:
I just checked mycsudh on my phone and it looks like the site is down until nov 8? Omg

Omgosh girl in this entire waiting process I think you're my soul sister! Lol :laugh: I thought the same too today!!

What @ottotoro said.. NICE GRE scores!! How long did you spend studying for it?? I rly wish I spent at least 2 months studying for it.

Dang, nice GRE score! I was wondering what made you take it again after getting your first score? Those scores are higher than what most OT schools look for, so just curious! I remember CSUDH said the average combined GRE score of admitted students was 305-310 at the info session. Were you looking at other schools too? (admittedly I don't know the averages of other schools)

Hi ottotoro, thanks! I took it again because I had taken it in 2011 and scored higher, so I knew I could do better. To me it was worth shelling out the money to have more peace of mind. It might have been unnecessary...but then I didn't want to get rejected and think, "But what if I'd just retaken the GRE?" I figured my GPA is sort of low, so I could bolster it with my GRE, as there wasn't much else about my application I could change at that point (prereqs were already done).

So yeah, I know that the average was 305-310 but that's the average, and I think my GPA was below average. Figured it might even it out a bit.

As for other schools, I'm really hoping to hear back from CSUDH first, then apply to USC and SJSU if I don't get in. But CSUDH is my #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 top choice for location and $ reasons. USC is just sky high and SJSU would mean a forced relocation :(

As a side note, I honestly wasn't stressing about hearing back until I randomly decided to check this forum today (since the original letter said "late November") – now I think I'm going to be checking this page and MyCSUDH EVERY DAY hahaha. Good luck everyone :)

What @ottotoro said.. NICE GRE scores!! How long did you spend studying for it?? I rly wish I spent at least 2 months studying for it.

Hi OurJourneyToOT, thanks! I think I might have spent two months total studying for it, since I gave myself about a month to study for my first pass and then there was another month in between that try and my second try this time around (I also took it back in 2011 but those scores are no longer valid). So if you count that plus whatever time I spent studying back in 2011, I think I did spend substantial time... honestly if I could go back I would just use Magoosh! I thought I was more of a by-the-books person but I bought the guides and barely even touched them. Magoosh just has a friendly interface which made me want to open it and get cracking more. I suppose my advice is going to fall on deaf ears though since everyone on here is past that stage lol.

Hi ottotoro, thanks! I took it again because I had taken it in 2011 and scored higher, so I knew I could do better. To me it was worth shelling out the money to have more peace of mind. It might have been unnecessary...but then I didn't want to get rejected and think, "But what if I'd just retaken the GRE?" I figured my GPA is sort of low, so I could bolster it with my GRE, as there wasn't much else about my application I could change at that point (prereqs were already done).

So yeah, I know that the average was 305-310 but that's the average, and I think my GPA was below average. Figured it might even it out a bit.

As for other schools, I'm really hoping to hear back from CSUDH first, then apply to USC and SJSU if I don't get in. But CSUDH is my #1 #1 #1 #1 #1 top choice for location and $ reasons. USC is just sky high and SJSU would mean a forced relocation :(

As a side note, I honestly wasn't stressing about hearing back until I randomly decided to check this forum today (since the original letter said "late November") – now I think I'm going to be checking this page and MyCSUDH EVERY DAY hahaha. Good luck everyone :)
That makes sense! Luckily CSUDH apparently really likes high GRE scores specifically so it sounds like you're a really strong candidate!!

Hi OurJourneyToOT, thanks! I think I might have spent two months total studying for it, since I gave myself about a month to study for my first pass and then there was another month in between that try and my second try this time around (I also took it back in 2011 but those scores are no longer valid). So if you count that plus whatever time I spent studying back in 2011, I think I did spend substantial time... honestly if I could go back I would just use Magoosh! I thought I was more of a by-the-books person but I bought the guides and barely even touched them. Magoosh just has a friendly interface which made me want to open it and get cracking more. I suppose my advice is going to fall on deaf ears though since everyone on here is past that stage lol.
I second Magoosh (maybe for future students looking at this forum for tips)! I don't have super strong V/Q scores (although Magoosh predicted I'd get 5-10 points more per section... I think I pooped out when I took the actual test, and didn't have time to retake it) but I thought the videos for V/Q and AWA were really helpful. Definitely more engaging than books. They don't grade the AWA score but understanding the types of questions they asked for V/Q was really helpful. I read somewhere else (maybe the GRE forum on reddit) that people thought the GRE was actually easier than Magoosh questions, and generally scored higher on the actual GRE but that wasn't the case for me. I recommend not drinking caffeine before the test and then crashing halfway through lol

Btw: for future readers, my score was 154/154/5