Cumulative GPA 3.72 and 3.44 BCPM...Should I still try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Suave Platypus

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a senior economics major graduating in May. I have completed all pre-med prerequisite classes and have done plenty of volunteering/shadowing. I plan to take the MCAT this summer and apply next year (2017), so I'll have at least a couple of gap years working a decent contracting job at the Air Force. I'm an Oklahoma resident and my target school is OU College of Medicine.

However, I realized that my BCPM GPA is a 3.44 while my cumulative GPA is a 3.72. Are my grades are too low to bother taking the MCAT and following through with my application? I wonder if a good MCAT score can compensate for my GPA in this case.

If taking post-bac classes are necessary, it would be difficult with my full-time job. I'm pretty worried that my BCPM GPA may count me out as a competitive applicant even with a decent MCAT score.
 
Your best chance at an MD school will be with U OK, so go for it.

You're fine for any DO school.


I'm a senior economics major graduating in May. I have completed all pre-med prerequisite classes and have done plenty of volunteering/shadowing. I plan to take the MCAT this summer and apply next year (2017), so I'll have at least a couple of gap years working a decent contracting job at the Air Force. I'm an Oklahoma resident and my target school is OU College of Medicine.

However, I realized that my BCPM GPA is a 3.44 while my cumulative GPA is a 3.72. Are my grades are too low to bother taking the MCAT and following through with my application? I wonder if a good MCAT score can compensate for my GPA in this case.

If taking post-bac classes are necessary, it would be difficult with my full-time job. I'm pretty worried that my BCPM GPA may count me out as a competitive applicant even with a decent MCAT score.
 
Beast the MCAT and your fine. your best bet is OK like Goro said. If you get a 505+ then you are good for almost all DO schools