Current Hem/Onc salaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmiSansNom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that compensation in Hem/Onc is declining? Do you see the compensation for Hem/Onc physicians going down in the future? As an IM resident planning on going into Hem/Onc, just wondering if the pay would be competitive. I see lots of figures thrown around in websites, but I am not sure how reliable these are. What, in your opinion, would be the average pay for a private practice Hem/Onc seeing broad pathology? Just wanted to get an opinion from those currently in the field; your thoughts/opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First year out 250-400K depending on location. After partnership or once becoming more production oriented, that should increase to 500K+. No reason to avoid Heme/Onc for concerns of declining reimbursement.

If compensation or lack thereof is a concern about going into this field, think hard about why you are choosing it. There’s a lot of tough stuff in my day to say that money doesn’t make up for but family relationships do.

There are other specialties to go into for money (not that I advocate that)...

Reactions: 1 users
First year out 250-400K depending on location. After partnership or once becoming more production oriented, that should increase to 500K+. No reason to avoid Heme/Onc for concerns of declining reimbursement.

If compensation or lack thereof is a concern about going into this field, think hard about why you are choosing it. There’s a lot of tough stuff in my day to say that money doesn’t make up for but family relationships do.

There are other specialties to go into for money (not that I advocate that)...
Thank you very much. This is what I was looking for. I appreciate your response!