Current KSU students: how do you feel about the mentorship program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UUprevet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so i was browsing KSU's website and i saw the link for their various mentorship programs...

So I guess I just wanted to see if anyone currently enrolled at KSU participates in this? If so, what has been your experience (good or bad)?

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the program; there wasn't too much info on KSU's site and it would be nice to hear a student's opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you referring to the early admit mentorship program (for undergrads who are already admitted to vet school after going through an interview/application process in high school), or a different one?

It says it is worth 1 credit hour and is open to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years ...

It looks as though you choose the category of vet med you are interested in and they provide you with a list of possible mentors...

I think at the end of the semester they evaluate you and you get course credit

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using Tapatalk

The mentorship program is designed to help us get hands-on experience in different settings and learn/practice technical skills. We are required to complete three mentorships before entering our clinical year, each about a week long. Since they're week-long full-time commitments, people tend to do them over vacations or in the summer.

Basically, you find a doctor who is willing to work with you and spend about a week observing/assisting/learning from them. I believe the lists they have up on the site are doctors who have mentored students and would be willing to do so again, but we're not limited to the list. There are list of skills we are required to learn in the large and small animal mentorships, but aside from that there seems to be a lot of variation in what you're actually doing. This depends on the doctor(s) you work with, how far along in the curriculum you are, what your interests are, etc. There's a little paperwork for the school on either end that must be done to get the credit, but most of the process is between you and your mentor.