Navy Current odds of going straight to FP residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonsterRehab

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Current Navy HPSP student. Wrapping up first year. I was wondering if currently the Navy was letting people get into Family Medicine Residency without a GMO tour?

I mean, I don't mind GMO. The Diving tour sounds pretty awesome actually. Just trying to get an idea if I'm going to Panama City for training after graduating or somewhere like Camp Lejeune. (Has anyone done their residency there btw?)

Also, without getting too scattered here, if anyone has experience with matching into Ophthalmology in the Navy I would love to hear from you. That I know for sure requires a GMO tour. What kind of score do I need? Multiple GMO tours?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

When I talked to a FM PDs sounds like a significant majority are training straight through (>50%).

Also, without getting too scattered here, if anyone has experience with matching into Ophthalmology in the Navy I would love to hear from you. That I know for sure requires a GMO tour. What kind of score do I need? Multiple GMO tours?

When I talked to Balboa's optho PD and an optho resident they said...above average scores, research in optho, rotating with them so they can get to know you...basically be a good medical student. Not multiple GMO tours, they don't want anyone that's been out that long. They don't mind if you apply to them twice though if you are competitive enough.

Reactions: 1 user