Current Orthodontist vs General Dentist Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andre3k

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do ortho if you REALLY want to do ortho; otherwise, be a GP. You will make enough money going either route if you're passionate about the field and have good people skills.

I graduated in 2011, did a 1 year AEGD, and have GP (and residency trained!) classmates that are still unemployed. On the other hand, I had a GP gig lined up 3 months before finishing my program and am on track to make $180k my first year.

I'm assuming their are recent ortho grads that are in similar situations as me and my unemployed classmates, and shades of gray in between.

Point of the story, do what you will be happy doing.

Best of luck,
Hup

I am strongly considering doing Ortho and I really like the orthodontics. However despite my interest, after doing some shadowing I am not sure if it would be the best move from a financial stand point granted the amount of additional time in school necessary (2-3yrs) and the additional debt. A couple of the Orthodontists I shadowed expressed concern that it is getting more difficult to find jobs. They also said the state of the economy has reduced the number of patients that can afford orthodontic treatment and that because most general dentists are doing Invisalign there are fewer patients being referred to orthodontists. Usually only class II, class III, or more difficult cases. I spoke to an Orthodontist that graduated 3 yrs ago and his salary is around 140k. That seems very low. He said most of his friends that are general dentists make more than him.
Does anyone on here have any information regarding the current trends in Orthodontists salaries and job availability? What is the average starting salary for a orthodontist currently? How does that compare to the starting salaries of general dentists currently?

Any information any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Another user had posted this regarding orthodontic program rankings...

http://www.orthodonticproductsonline.com/issues/articles/2012-04_15.asp

Read and ponder!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys know how much orthodontists make on average working in hospital ?

Why would an orthodontist be working in a hospital?

There are few ortho residencies that are hospital based (in hospital not in dental school) for example Mayo clinic Minnesota. From my poor knowledge those residencies are focused little bit more on ortho cases that need surgical intervention, and cleft palate cases and stuff. So there are orthodontists that work in hospitals, they make less money than in private practice(one website says that they make around 140k).

I've got to ask. What area of the country are they looking for jobs? I'm not naive, but that is very scary of unemployment after being residency trained. Wow. Are they holding out for higher paying jobs in great zip codes?

+1. Also what is the difference between you and them that you're rockin' 180k 1st year out and they're still looking for a job.

I've got to ask. What area of the country are they looking for jobs? I'm not naive, but that is very scary of unemployment after being residency trained. Wow. Are they holding out for higher paying jobs in great zip codes?

+1. Also what is the difference between you and them that you're rockin' 180k 1st year out and they're still looking for a job.

Location - they did residency in NYC and now want to work in MD/DC/VA area. I did residency in Providence RI and found my gig in southern Massachusetts.

Also, I attended all the local dental society meetings, lab meetings and networked with supply reps. They did none of the above.

By the way, for new grads great zip codes don't typically offer the best paying jobs. I think the best place to look is a middle class community that has a good mix of blue and white collar folks. These communities tend to have relationship-based dental practices that thrive regardless of the economy, and have a very loyal patient base. There is plenty of dentistry to do (general and cosmetic!) and you have less patients shopping around for the cheapest tx plan. Just my observation over the past 2 months.

Hup

Last edited:
Location - they did residency in NYC and now want to work in MD/DC/VA area. I did residency in Providence RI and found my gig in southern Massachusetts.

Also, I attended all the local dental society meetings, lab meetings and networked with supply reps. They did none of the above.

By the way, for new grads great zip codes don't typically offer the best paying jobs. I think the best place to look is a middle class community that has a good mix of blue and white collar folks. These communities tend to have relationship-based dental practices that thrive regardless of the economy, and have a very loyal patient base. There is plenty of dentistry to do (general and cosmetic!) and you have less patients shopping around for the cheapest tx plan. Just my observation over the past 2 months.

Hup

I am sorry, did you mean that ur friends that did ortho residency in NYU can't find jobs in MD/DC/VA area ?