CUSOM VS AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School would you pick?

• Total voters

kp11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to all my fellow SDN-junkies:

I recently found out that I've been accepted to AZCOM and CUSOM. This is a blessing and a curse. I thought that there might be 1 DO school that took me and that was it...but now I have a choice. Both schools seemed great in their own ways. All of AZCOM's stats are impressive, and they seem to know what they are doing in preparing their students for COMLEX and USMLE. Like everyone who has ever truly considered AZCOM, I had sticker (price tag) shock. Just to pay for the basic tuition, you would have to take out he unsubsidized federal loan ( max somewhere around 47K) AND the unsubsidized federal PLUS loan ( covers everything else over 47K) that is meant to help med students pay for the cost of living.
CUSOM will be going into their 2nd year next year (not an enlightened thought, just typing out loud), and doesn't possess ANY board score results. Their attitude toward USMLE seemed rather "well...i guess if you want to." However, I think they are planning to bring in test prep companies to help their students prepare, and students have the option to study for a month before taking the test.
Both school had nice facilities, BUT... CUSOM had some of the nicest facilities I've ever seen. I don't mean to start a thread of who has the best facilities, I'm just stating that CUSOM put money, time, and effort into every aspect of the school. The SIM labs are very...very nice.
The staff at both schools were friendly. I did however feel like the CUSOM professors really loved what they did, and really want to help in any way that they can.
How much does an alumni network or track record of a school help in getting into residency? (I understand that this is a fragmented question/thought).
Lastly, Wherever I will be moving, I will be bringing a spouse to school (she is a city slicker). She has an MHA, and has a very good job right now. I know that there are plenty of positions available for healthcare administrators in Phoenix, with it being such a big city. Would living in South Raleigh (Holly Springs?) be a doable commute for me to school, and my spouse into Raleigh?

As always any input is GREATLY appreciated, and more than I have currently.

Members don't see this ad.

What felt like a better "fit" on interview day? I think that plays a large part when you are ultimately undecided. It sounds like your wife would have a better chance at employment in Phoenix and the surrounding area, which would ultimately negate the increased tuition at AZCOM. One cannot understate the ability to find a good paying job for one's SO.

I don't know much about Campbell, but I would generally always choose a more established school over a newer school unless you really felt as if said newer school "felt" like the one, and it doesn't sound like that here.

I was impressed with AZCOM myself when I was there. But I know what you mean about the tuition, that's tough to swallow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank y'all for the feedback. I'm caught between the thought that if CUSOM was nearer to Raleigh, I would pick CUSOM...but then would I be making my decision based on geography, and is that something smart to base my decision on?

Thank y'all for the feedback. I'm caught between the thought that if CUSOM was nearer to Raleigh, I would pick CUSOM...but then would I be making my decision based on geography, and is that something smart to base my decision on?

You said if it were closer, which it's not. So why would it even be a consideration?

You said if it were closer, which it's not. So why would it even be a consideration?

Well said Elevencents. I guess what my question is: how much should location affect my decision? Is a 30 minute commute going to make me miserable?

Well said Elevencents. I guess what my question is: how much should location affect my decision? Is a 30 minute commute going to make me miserable?

I wouldn't want to do it, but I am the most impatient person in the car ;) I can handle 15, but I think 30 would get old pretty quick.

You're going to have to drive to your rotations, which are likely going to be some distance away. I had a rotation that was an hour and fifteen minutes away. My school provided housing for that rotation, but I just drove it everyday.

You're going to have to drive to your rotations, which are likely going to be some distance away. I had a rotation that was an hour and fifteen minutes away. My school provided housing for that rotation, but I just drove it everyday.

Was this through AZCOM? Or was it an "anchor site"?

I belive if you live in Fuyquay Varina, you are 15 to 20 minutes from the school in a bigger town that has everything, and 15 to 20 minutes from Raleigh and the airport. Maybe you can have your wife see if you can land a job by applying to both places, and that may help you decide. I wouldn't worry about the boards, if you put the time in and study for them you can pass them wherever you go to school AZ, NC, or the Carrib.