Cvs pharmacist disrespect/humiliation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hustle and move. I don't have many drop offs or pickups. Maybe about 10 throughout the 12-8 period. I have an 8 column scriptpro, so ~190 fast movers in there....so many do come out of the robot. About 6-7 of the 17 pages need to be pulled and filled, the rest typically come out of the script pro.

That 16 page thing is totally made up. CVS does not have an 'official policy' for how many pages an overnight pharmacist should produce. I'm sure what they meant was that that was your sups expectation.

That number might just be the sup's expection, but it's a realistic expection. If you still have to pull 6-7 pages after the robot, then that makes your story sounds even more crazy, b/c refilling an 8 column script pro and pulling/putting RTS vials back into the machine takes time... That plus whatever other tasks you are required to do. Do you even verify anymore or do you just scan and bag?

Oh... I guess you are not from California so you have an extra half hour (required lunch break).

Members don't see this ad.

So the chains are starting off pharmacists at $100k? What about hospital pharmacies?

It depends on location. East Coast and southeast pharmacists start off pretty low from what I hear (~50/hour in retail, lower in hospital). Midwest is also around that range (50-55/hour for major chains), but cost of living is lower, so it might be a good deal depending on location preference. On the flip side, in California, some chains start you off in low-mid 60's, and higher in undesirable areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on location. East Coast and southeast pharmacists start off pretty low from what I hear (~50/hour in retail, lower in hospital). Midwest is also around that range (50-55/hour for major chains), but cost of living is lower, so it might be a good deal depending on location preference. On the flip side, in California, some chains start you off in low-mid 60's, and higher in undesirable areas.

That's surprising; I had previously been told that chains like Wal-Mart started their pharmacists off at $120k - $125k, and that Publix started pharmacists off at $115k, but apparently these numbers are inflated.

That's surprising; I had previously been told that chains like Wal-Mart started their pharmacists off at $120k - $125k, and that Publix started pharmacists off at $115k, but apparently these numbers are inflated.

Some places, they might. Also depends on whether they are salaried vs. hourly, how many hours/week, and once again, location.

That number might just be the sup's expection, but it's a realistic expection. If you still have to pull 6-7 pages after the robot, then that makes your story sounds even more crazy, b/c refilling an 8 column script pro and pulling/putting RTS vials back into the machine takes time... That plus whatever other tasks you are required to do. Do you even verify anymore or do you just scan and bag?

Oh... I guess you are not from California so you have an extra half hour (required lunch break).

Verifying does go quickly because the whole queue is 90% 4th or higher refills. Very rarely do issues come up. Also not being interrupted. If you keep up with RTSand filling the script-pro every night it doesn't take that long to do both.

How does the lunch break work when you are alone? Do you close the gates? I'd try to time that during downtime when the computers are resetting I think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That 16 page thing is totally made up. CVS does not have an 'official policy' for how many pages an overnight pharmacist should produce. I'm sure what they meant was that that was your sups expectation.

I thought the same thing. I do not recall ever seeing an official policy for how many "pages" a pharmacist should do.

Reactions: 1 user
Verifying does go quickly because the whole queue is 90% 4th or higher refills. Very rarely do issues come up. Also not being interrupted. If you keep up with RTSand filling the script-pro every night it doesn't take that long to do both.

How does the lunch break work when you are alone? Do you close the gates? I'd try to time that during downtime when the computers are resetting I think.

I never closed the gates, I just told the shift manager I was going to eat in the breakroom and to call me if anyone needed a prescription. I also put a sign in the drive thru letting people know I am at lunch and to call the front store to let someone know you need assistance. It was never an issue and most nights I had no interruptions. Getting a lunch was one of the many perks of working overnight.

How many do they leave for you now? What did you do to get them to be faster?

the supervisor finally shipp'd the slow pharmacists out of our store. the 2 new ones are faster pace and actually do the work. i now come in with 4-5 pages total of qp/qv. the only time i come in with 8 pages total is when the FDA floater guy comes in and be a lazy bum.

My life story.
I was hired as a staff pharmacist in CVS.My PIC treats me with lots of disrespect.I escalated this to District manager. But my PIC is experienced A H who treats fellow pharmacist so badly.Is my job in trouble. Should I start searching some other jobs.

I am living in nightmare.

Sucks to be you. There is also a queue of applicants waiting to take your job, so there's that.

CVS sells paper towels at an amazing price (check your weekly listings), so buy it in bulk. Sounds like you'll need a ton to wipe your tears off the counter.

"Should I start searching some other jobs. Is my job in trouble." LOL, use some proper English mang!

I thought most retail chains were starting pharmacists off at ~$120k/year these days?
Hard to make $120k when you're doing 30 hours per week "full-time."

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to make $120k when you're doing 30 hours per week "full-time."

Is 30 hrs/week the norm for most chains now? I was just looking at the Rph openings on Publix's website, and it seems like they're offering 30 hrs in some areas and 40 in others. Are they offering only 30 hrs in certain areas because those areas are more saturated? Or are other factors involved?

Is 30 hrs/week the norm for most chains now? I was just looking at the Rph openings on Publix's website, and it seems like they're offering 30 hrs in some areas and 40 in others. Are they offering only 30 hrs in certain areas because those areas are more saturated? Or are other factors involved?
I'm not sure, but I noticed Publix has started doing that for the majority of their new positions. I think a thread on here said either CVS or Walgreens was doing something similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure, but I noticed Publix has started doing that for the majority of their new positions. I think a thread on here said either CVS or Walgreens was doing something similar.

It seems like (in saturated areas) it would make more financial sense for them to hire one FT pharmacist getting paid to work 30 hrs/week, and hire one PT pharmacist to work the remaining 10 hours of the 40 hour "shift" and not pay the second one benefits. But if the first pharmacist (the one working 30 hrs) is still earning a benefits package, what's the point in shortening their hours? Are they earning a smaller benefits package to work only 30 hrs/week)?

It seems like (in saturated areas) it would make more financial sense for them to hire one FT pharmacist getting paid to work 30 hrs/week, and hire one PT pharmacist to work the remaining 10 hours of the 40 hour "shift" and not pay the second one benefits. But if the first pharmacist (the one working 30 hrs) is still earning a benefits package, what's the point in shortening their hours? Are they earning a smaller benefits package to work only 30 hrs/week)?
Hey, who knows. Maybe they hire two pharmacists at 30 hr/week, cut the hours that the store is open, then demand more out of each of them. I don't know and I don't want to know. I'm just hoping we don't face similar situations in the hospital setting over the next few years.

Before we didn't close it, but had two incidence where a guy jumped the counter trying to steal meds. I can see myself do 17 pages, but I would hate life. How many scripts do you guys do per week?
plus putting back the RTS vials back in the machine, I probably have to fill 30-40 slots per night. So in your case, plus the 15mins down time every night, all the "other" tasks you are doing, and get all the qt out to qp (we all know CVS computer are not the fastest)... you really only have less than 7 hrs to do 17 pages. That's 36-40 scripts per hr... You also have to pull/count/put back med, shelf the finished rx. Plus random drop off/pick ups/phone calls... And people starting coming after 6am... Idk... Sounds kinda tough... After I break it down, I really have a hard time believing you can keep the place clean after all that. Sorry, but I think your 17 pages is an exaggeration.

When you are doing this much QP are you "dumping" the queue? This seems to be the best way yet cvs Sups frown on it.

Before we didn't close it, but had two incidence where a guy jumped the counter trying to steal meds. I can see myself do 17 pages, but I would hate life. How many scripts do you guys do per week?
plus putting back the RTS vials back in the machine, I probably have to fill 30-40 slots per night. So in your case, plus the 15mins down time every night, all the "other" tasks you are doing, and get all the qt out to qp (we all know CVS computer are not the fastest)... you really only have less than 7 hrs to do 17 pages. That's 36-40 scripts per hr... You also have to pull/count/put back med, shelf the finished rx. Plus random drop off/pick ups/phone calls... And people starting coming after 6am... Idk... Sounds kinda tough... After I break it down, I really have a hard time believing you can keep the place clean after all that. Sorry, but I think your 17 pages is an exaggeration.

You've implied that a few times now. I can assure you I am not exaggerating. We do between 4600-5000 per week.

I have a tech starting at 630 am.

I am very strategic in how I pull drugs. Sorting labels by bay and doing a bag at a time. I have about 15-20 rts to put back in the robot each night and about 10-20 cells needing filling. The cells can be filled before midnight before the queue drops in. You don't need to have 15 minutes downtime. I use this time to either fold all my labels and sort and pull them or sort the robot vials.

I don't have many customers or phone calls over night. I am very fast at qt and qp (tech for 10 years before pharmacy school). It's not easy but I get it done. Would be easier with a tech later than 1030p or earlier than 630a.

You've implied that a few times now. I can assure you I am not exaggerating. We do between 4600-5000 per week.

I am very strategic in how I pull drugs. Sorting labels by bay and doing a bag at a time. I have about 15-20 rts to put back in the robot each night and about 10-20 cells needing filling. The cells can be filled before midnight before the queue drops in. You don't need to have 15 minutes downtime. I use this time to either fold all my labels and sort and pull them or sort the robot vials.

I don't have many customers or phone calls over night. I am very fast at qt and qp (tech for 10 years before pharmacy school). It's not easy but I get it done. Would be easier with a tech later than 1030p or earlier than 630a.

Oh you have a tech helping you at 6:30... Then that's different... Should have made that clear. And if you have time to do RTS and fill cells before 12 then your store must not be next to a hospital or something lol that makes a huge difference too. And lol being a tech over 10 years doesn't mean anything... You basically described the strategy for every night pharmacist lmao. Yeah with all this new information, then 17 pages is not bad at all...

I just graduated this May.....most kids I know in my class in Texas, which is a pretty middle of the road paying state, are being offered in the 118-125k range starting out, if full time. Rural areas/less desirable are being offered in the $60s/hr.

Most are getting offered full time, but yea some are starting at 32hr float. Even then, the pay range isn't $50/hr at any major company I know, in regards to the other posters comments. Offers are mid 50s and up. I don't know a single person in retail (unless in some independent paying unusually low) out of all my friends in multiple regions making less than $55/hr retail.

If you are making less than 115k, you aren't working full time.

I can typically fill and verify 40 per hour without interruptions (that's just filling and product review). Typically, I think 2 to 3 leaflets ahead, planning my steps accordingly. I don't separate by section (cell, fast rack, or alpha). I just pick from the top of the stack and go, keeping in mind Mrs Smith has a book of 9 rxs.

I just graduated this May.....most kids I know in my class in Texas, which is a pretty middle of the road paying state, are being offered in the 118-125k range starting out, if full time. Rural areas/less desirable are being offered in the $60s/hr.

Most are getting offered full time, but yea some are starting at 32hr float. Even then, the pay range isn't $50/hr at any major company I know, in regards to the other posters comments. Offers are mid 50s and up. I don't know a single person in retail (unless in some independent paying unusually low) out of all my friends in multiple regions making less than $55/hr retail.

If you are making less than 115k, you aren't working full time.

From what I've been reading/hearing lately, it sounds like out of all the chains, Walmart is one of the best paying in the southeast, so I think I'm going to try to work as an intern for them (unless I go about with a grocery chain instead, but I've been told that they pay less than WM).

From what I've been reading/hearing lately, it sounds like out of all the chains, Walmart is one of the best paying in the southeast, so I think I'm going to try to work as an intern for them (unless I go about with a grocery chain instead, but I've been told that they pay less than WM).

Walmart does pay well per hour, but they are rolling out a new initiative soon limiting a lot of full time hours, especially for new grads. Lots of 32hr/week guarantees, but full 40 mainly for people with seniority and/or pharmacy managers.

I haven't worked there so I dunno, but there is a thread on here discussing it. Just FYI. Honestly, I would go grocery if you can get it. Work environment is usually much better than big box retail and full time hours seem to be more available. The money is good, regardless.

I am really glad I went grocery, personally. I have heard Walmart is better than CVS or Wags, but I've also heard grumbling from friends that work there that things have been changing and it isn't all roses. Don't just go by which pays a few k more a year. Definitely try to intern there and see how it is.

Walmart does pay well per hour, but they are rolling out a new initiative soon limiting a lot of full time hours, especially for new grads. Lots of 32hr/week guarantees, but full 40 mainly for people with seniority and/or pharmacy managers.

I haven't worked there so I dunno, but there is a thread on here discussing it. Just FYI. Honestly, I would go grocery if you can get it. Work environment is usually much better than big box retail and full time hours seem to be more available. The money is good, regardless.

I am really glad I went grocery, personally. I have heard Walmart is better than CVS or Wags, but I've also heard grumbling from friends that work there that things have been changing and it isn't all roses. Don't just go by which pays a few k more a year. Definitely try to intern there and see how it is.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into interning for them (and maybe others as well). It seems like starting off new grad pharmacists at only 32 hrs/week is becoming the new workweek "standard" for retail chains. I know you said that grocery chains are probably the best bet for retail, so in your opinion, which grocery chain would you consider to be the best to work for? In my area of the southeast, we have Publix, Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie, Piggly Wiggly, and of course the aforementioned Sam's Club/Walmart. I was told that Publix used to be "the" company to work for but that things have been changing lately (parallels with Walmart, perhaps?) and that Publix's starting salaries are somewhat lower than the starting salaries at most other chains, grocery and otherwise. Also, if you don't mind, can I ask what chain you work for as well as how much flexibility you have in regards to picking up extra shifts? The reason I ask is because when I graduate, I will probably have close to $200k in loans and really want to be able to work as much OT as I can get my hands on so I can avoid going on IBR.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into interning for them (and maybe others as well). It seems like starting off new grad pharmacists at only 32 hrs/week is becoming the new workweek "standard" for retail chains. I know you said that grocery chains are probably the best bet for retail, so in your opinion, which grocery chain would you consider to be the best to work for? In my area of the southeast, we have Publix, Bi-Lo/Winn-Dixie, Piggly Wiggly, and of course the aforementioned Sam's Club/Walmart. I was told that Publix used to be "the" company to work for but that things have been changing lately (parallels with Walmart, perhaps?) and that Publix's starting salaries are somewhat lower than the starting salaries at most other chains, grocery and otherwise. Also, if you don't mind, can I ask what chain you work for as well as how much flexibility you have in regards to picking up extra shifts? The reason I ask is because when I graduate, I will probably have close to $200k in loans and really want to be able to work as much OT as I can get my hands on so I can avoid going on IBR.

Yea I lived in Alabama for a bit and I know of those chains, but Publix is the only one I'm familiar with pharmacy wise. I hear similar things about it as Walmart when it comes to being more stingy on hours now, and yea they do seem to be on the lower end pay wise.

Right now, the consensus I hear is that as long as you are not total crap, most get near full time hours floating if they want it in most chains. I can't guarantee it will stay that way though in a few years with all these new schools/increasing number of graduates.

My situation is kinda unique in that I work for a small regional chain in Texas and I got hired out of graduation as PIC, so I am at a dedicated store guaranteed for 40 hours full time and my pay isn't the standard (most grocers pay a few k less than the big box chains, and I am getting higher end manager rate).

OT most anywhere in retail is pretty rare now...the most common places for that are staffing at a hospital or clinic and/or picking up per diem work at inpatient/outpatient facilities on top of your main retail job. Most retail has plenty of pharmacists to cover hours without giving out OT.

I recommend utilizing classmates/students ahead of you/recent alums to get a better idea of how your local chains are work environment wise. I also would suggest shadowing at the different chains and not be afraid to ask the managers about job outlooks/hiring and hour structure outlooks, etc.

Don't underestimate the importance of picking where you intern....with today's market it may end up being the only place you have a really good shot at being hired by after graduating.

Getting any job starting out is good....I only personally recommend grocery chains because in general, they are less stressful to work at. If you don't mind the stress and want the highest pay, go big box retail in general. I'd avoid CVS or wags though , if you can.

Last edited:

I am not sure where the numbers @hye345 presented are coming from. I have never heard of anyone being offered $50/hour for retail or below $50/hour for hospital positions. No one I know would ever take those. I am in the midwest in a city of ~3.5 million and graduated last year. CVS offered me $30/hour as grad intern and upon licensure $60/hour as staff pharmacist. I believe Walmart offered me $58/hour as Staff and new grads this year were offered $57/hour.Walgreens offered $28.75/hour and $119,600/year. Supermarkets in this area start new grads around the same rate as Walmart and if course, those positions are a lot less stressful and often times the pharmacy is not expected to be profitable. While Walmart's rates may seem unattractive at first glance, do keep in mind that benefits start on day 1 for pharmacists & pharmacy managers. You also get to take your lunch break in peace and should you need to use the restroom, you just go and do your business. I know CVS and Walgreens do not do any of those and never will.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
I am not sure where the numbers @hye345 presented are coming from. I have never heard of anyone being offered $50/hour for retail or below $50/hour hospital positions. No one I know would ever take those. I am in the midwest in a city of ~3.5 million and graduated last year. CVS offered me $30/hour as grad intern and upon licensure $60/hour as staff pharmacist. I believe Walmart offered me $58/hour as Staff and new grads this year were offered $57/hour.Walgreens offered $28.75/hour and $119,600/year. Supermarkets in this area start new grads around the same rate as Walmart and if course, those positions are a lot less stressful and often times the pharmacy is not expected to be profitable. While Walmart's rates may seem unattractive at first glance, do keep in mind that benefits start on day 1 for pharmacists & pharmacy managers. You also get to take your lunch break in peace and should you need to use the restroom, you just go and do your business. I know CVS and Walgreens do not do any of those and never will.

Best,

Apotheker2015
I know an employer that starts hospital pharmacists at $48/hr in the Northeast.

I am not sure where the numbers @hye345 presented are coming from. I have never heard of anyone being offered $50/hour for retail or below $50/hour for hospital positions. No one I know would ever take those. I am in the midwest in a city of ~3.5 million and graduated last year. CVS offered me $30/hour as grad intern and upon licensure $60/hour as staff pharmacist. I believe Walmart offered me $58/hour as Staff and new grads this year were offered $57/hour.Walgreens offered $28.75/hour and $119,600/year. Supermarkets in this area start new grads around the same rate as Walmart and if course, those positions are a lot less stressful and often times the pharmacy is not expected to be profitable. While Walmart's rates may seem unattractive at first glance, do keep in mind that benefits start on day 1 for pharmacists & pharmacy managers. You also get to take your lunch break in peace and should you need to use the restroom, you just go and do your business. I know CVS and Walgreens do not do any of those and never will.

Best,

Apotheker2015

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how much Walmart (and any of the grocery chains) start their pharmacy managers out at? It seems like Walmart posts PIC positions more frequently than they post staff/floating positions for my area

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how much Walmart (and any of the grocery chains) start their pharmacy managers out at? It seems like Walmart posts PIC positions more frequently than they post staff/floating positions for my area

In my area, the starting hourly rate is typically $60-$62 if without experience. Your 40 hours are guaranteed and that is not always the case with Staff pharmacists. I am sure that a higher rate can be negotiated if you have 1+ years of experience.

Best,

Apotheker2015

I'm in northern CA, about an hour north of Sacramento. It probably qualifies as the 'boonies' if your coming from a major metro area.

The numbers I quoted was a rough estimate, based on what I heard from classmates in the Midwest. Specifically $54/hour was tossed around quite a bit.

I'd rather not post people's salaries without their permission, but we can chat via PM.

I guess I wasn't asking for the name of the hospital. A "Queens, NY" answer would have been fine.

I'm in northern CA, about an hour north of Sacramento. It probably qualifies as the 'boonies' if your coming from a major metro area.

The numbers I quoted was a rough estimate, based on what I heard from classmates in the Midwest. Specifically $54/hour was tossed around quite a bit.

Where in the midwest? What retail companies? Again, I have not once heard of any new grads getting <$57/hour.

In my area, the starting hourly rate is typically $60-$62 if without experience. Your 40 hours are guaranteed and that is not always the case with Staff pharmacists. I am sure that a higher rate can be negotiated if you have 1+ years of experience.

Do you know if other grocery chains like Publix and Bi-Lo start off PICs in the $60-$62/hour range like Walmart? Just wondering.

BTW, I know you've been referring to midwest locations, but is there any chance that you know whether the starting salaries you've mentioned are the same for the same chains' locations in the southeast? (e.g., GA)

Where in the midwest? What retail companies? Again, I have not once heard of any new grads getting <$57/hour.

This was for CVS, Walgreens, and Walmart, in Omaha, Nebraska. All were in mid-50's.

Do you know if other grocery chains like Publix and Bi-Lo start off PICs in the $60-$62/hour range like Walmart? Just wondering.

BTW, I know you've been referring to midwest locations, but is there any chance that you know whether the starting salaries you've mentioned are the same for the same chains' locations in the southeast? (e.g., GA)

I would speculate that for cities the same size; i.e., ~3.5 million people, rates are comparable. You have to keep in mind that some companies will pay more and make bonus potential smaller, for example. I'll have to refer you to glassdoor.com. You can compare cities, levels of experience, etc. Here is the link for pharmacy manager salaries in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, FL. https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Pu...ries-EJI_IE2945.0,6_KO7,23_IL.24,29_IM558.htm

One more thing, the average salaries calculated by these sites are often not a good reflection of how much pharmacist/pharmacy managers make. There are a lot of pharmacists who work part-time and that brings the average down. Therefore, it is worth looking at the average hourly wage, as well.

Best.

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
Appreciate the insight. I actually was just thinking the other day about how a high proportion of pharmacy students these days are females who are *supposedly* intending to work part-time for most of their careers, so I guess that really would bring down the yearly salary averages. BTW, I checked out the link you posted to Glassdoor.com's Publix PIC site, and it looks like the average salary for Publix PICs in my city (pop. only ~200k) is around $129k plus bonuses. Not bad!

Salary is definitely based upon location. I know in Georgia people were making ~114k in Atlanta for the major chains, but were making 120k in cities like augusta, savannah, etc. Walmart pretty much starts all staff between 58-60 an hour unless you are changing from another chain and are good and they want you. This is obviously based on a 40 hour workweek. My friends at Publix were making 105-110 as new grads. I do think publix gives good raises tho, not to sure, they also give you a huge stock bonus each year instead of 4-5% 401k match (the stock amounts to 6-8% of pay usually on the high side). Publix also gives you 2 weeks holiday pay at xmas, that you can use for vacation or take the 2 weeks pay. Obviously using it for vacation you aren't taxed. Publix is the place to be in retail in my opinion. There are a lot of 30 hour positions due to Publix not having large volume at a lot of stores, so they have cut back hours on those stores to have one full time and a 30 hour pharmacist. Also all floaters I believe are 30 hour base positions for the most part.

These salaries haven't changed much at all over the last 3 years from what I can tell.

The people you know who were making $105k-$110k at Publix, was that for working 30 or 40 hrs/week? Assuming it's for working FT, do you know what the raise schedule looks like?

Regarding the 2 weeks holiday pay that you get around Christmas, how does that actually work.... is it basically like getting a free Christmas break (like you had back in college), unless you want to work during it? Do you not get the pay if you decide to take the extra 2 weeks off? Is that in addition to regular vacation time off? I think I'm confused as to how you would actually get the pay, if you wanted it. BTW, sorry for all the questions, I've just been trying to figure out which company I want to intern with when I start school in August, and I'm planning on (hopefully) working for whatever company I intern with after I graduate in 2020. So that's why I've been asking a lot of "Publix vs. Walmart" questions -- because I have essentially narrowed-down my interning choices to those two alternatives, unless I see about getting an intern position at a Winn-Dixie located a few miles from my house (not sure if you know anything about working for them?).

If I may chip in my two cents here, I'd say I'd recommend going with Walmart. They do a lot of MTM and other clinical services. It's a solid corporate structure and they are everywhere. Apparently, Publix does clinical services, well. For the sake of comparison, here are the links.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/care-clinics/1224932

http://corporate.publix.com/careers/pharmacy/patient-care-services

Walmart also has a structured 12 week retail summer internship and a pharmacy corporate internship. These are all things to consider. I would not worry too much about who pays you more to work part time while in school. Truth is it will be very hard to balance school and more than one or two shifts per week. Again, everyone is different. Who knows? Maybe you can do it all.

Question, are you a physician assistant now transitioning to pharmacy school?

To answer your question, I was actually previously enrolled as a student in an anesthesiology PA program (technically called an AA program), but I was dismissed at the end of the second semester after I failed a lab course. But I did pretty well in most of the didactic courses and enjoyed my pharmacology class pretty well... so I guess here I am.

Regarding the question of whether I should intern for Walmart vs. Publix -- sorry, I should have probably made my post more clear; I actually had intended to refer to starting salaries for pharmacists, not interns. In other words, I was planning on trying to intern for whichever company starts its pharmacists off at the highest salaries, while also fulfilling the requirement of not being CVS or Walgreens. Of course, benefits and vacation time matters too. I hear that Walmart offers all its pharmacists 4 weeks of PTO now.

Sure, I see what you're saying. I think my answer still applies, though. My point is mostly that it's not all about pay. You want to go with a company that allows you to practice at the top of your license within the retail world and boundaries. CVS is known to offer the highest starting salary. They hand out offer letters months earlier than anyone. Would I recommend working for CVS? Nope. Stay away as far as you can.

Here's another example. I interned at a company that paid me $20.50/hour. I joined them at the end of my second year and worked as much as I could over the summer - overtime left and right. I quickly realized that I was a glorified cashier that could counsel. While that expanded my confidence in counseling and the range of drugs I could comfortably counsel on, the company did not care to cultivate my skills as a future pharmacist. In fact, they do not hire new grads. At the end of your 4th year they typically tell you "alright... you know how it goes from here". Therefore, once school got busy I ended up quitting. There was no point to it other than the money but school was so busy that I could not work. Footnote: I was pursuing a Master's along with my PharmD at the time. There are companies that get interns more involved and have them pre-verify prescriptions, for example. All I did was counsel and ring people up ALL THE TIME. It got old fast and I went ahead and interned for CVS because at the time I did not know what I know now.

By the way, it is my understanding that Walmart pharmacists get 3 weeks of PTO which includes sick pay. That might be negotiable in lieu of a pay raise. I can't speak for that. I just know that in this area I have been told it's 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Are the cvs stores inside of target still closing for lunch breaks? I could easily see cvs doing lunch breaks. They do them for minute clinics already. The pharmacist doesn't get paid and several will work through their unpaid lunch just like they come early and stay late.

Thanks for the advice.... I guess I've been so blindsided by the amount of student loan debt I'll have to pay back after I graduate that I've been focusing on dollar signs. I was surprised to hear that CVS pays the most, since according to Glassdoor.com (not much of a sample size), higher salaries/bonuses are being reported by pharmacists in my area for Walmart, Publix, and Winn-Dixie/Bi-Lo. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if you're in the southeast or not, but is there any chance you're familiar with Winn-Dixie/Bi-Lo? In the past, I've heard that lots of their pharmacy locations see pretty low daily script volumes on average (sometimes <100/day), and compensation seems to be pretty close to Walmart numbers.... then again, I don't know about the extent of clinical pursuits they allow their pharmacists be involved in, as compared to Walmart. Right now, it's looking that your suggestion to go with Walmart is probably the best for the combination of pay and pharmacy "scope of practice" (for lack of a better term). There is also a Sam's Club in my area that has a pharmacy, although I don't think I've ever seen a job ad for a pharmacist to work there in the last 7 months or so that I've been perusing online job postings on Indeed.com. For some reason, I have always found the the warehouse-style atmosphere of stores like Sam's Club and Costco to be appealing. Must have something to do with the high ceilings.

BTW, I will be attending what they call a "distance" pharmacy program when I begin in the fall, which means that I will be living at home with my family and won't have to attend classes according to a set, regular schedule; instead, I just have to watch the pre-recorded lectures online every week (but obviously, this doesn't mean I can put off watching all of them until Sunday night). So maybe that will give me an extra degree of flexibility when it comes to working as an intern? Although I'm still planning on working only 1-2 shifts per week...

The pharmacists I know at CVS made less then I made when I worked for Wal-mart and Walgreens (again comparing new grad salaries to other new grads). The 105-110k for Publix was full time...if you made that for 30 hours that would be awesome lol. Publix has great benefits. No you don't get to use the 2 week xmas bonus at xmas. It's an 80 hour pay bonus for all full time employees. You can switch that out for vacation during the year (may only be able to take 1 week vacation and 1 week pay, not both weeks, not sure tho) I have no idea how their raises work as I only worked there as an intern and left due to not getting an offer in the area I wanted. All vacation has to be approved ahead of time and you are competing with other pharmacist.

This talk about clinical services in retail is hilarious. It is a burden for a retail pharmacist to do CMR and MTM. You hardly have time and it is a hassle if you are at a busy store like Wal-mart. I sure wouldn't base my decision on who does more MTM and CMR. It's great if you can focus on that, in most cases, sad reality is its a PITA.

Pay area's I am familiar with is the Atlanta, Augusta, Macon, and Savannah regions. Pretty much all inbetween those 4 cities. CVS does not start you at the highest.

Clinical services is not really a good selling point for working at Walmart or any other retail company. It's just more **** to do and you have to fit it in somewhere. Mandatory Quality ConsultationTM even in states that don't mandate counseling is just way for Walmart to cover their ass. I assure you no one likes counseling after the 40th set of ED scripts to come through the pharmacy in a given day.