CWRU (Dean's Scholarship) vs. MCG (Minority Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Black Suede

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for chiming in! I'm very interested in getting different perspectives on this decision, especially from residents, attendings, and possibly PDs, given that Step 1 will be P/F by the time I take it. Some general info about my background/interests/goals: from GA, family and friends also in GA, strong interest in ophthalmology but also open to other specialties with surgical components, significant interest in research, would like to serve underserved urban populations, and strong desire to eventually incorporate medical missions into my career. I'm going to do my best to keep the pros/cons list short, since both schools have similar curriculums, both have great student-run clinics, and I feel like I clicked with the students and faculty at both schools.

CWRU
Pros:
- Strong reputation
- Lots of research opportunities
- Great variety of clinical sites (Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital, VA, Rainbow Children's)
- Multiples of specialty departments (Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital)
- Cole Eye Institute
- More flexibility and independent learning time
- Stronger Match List
- Medical Spanish Elective
- World Medicine and Urban Medicine Pathways
- Greater opportunity and variety of possible international clinical rotations
- MD/MA Bioethics (no extra time)
- Built in 16-weeks research block
- new environment

Cons:
- approximately $16k more per year, not factoring interest
- further from support system
- longer blocks
- graded block exams are written
- winters (I have zero experience with surviving snow lol)

MCG
Pros:
- Strong history with residency programs
- History of matching students to programs I am interested in
- More affordable
- 1 week intersession between blocks
- Availability of Regional Campuses throughout GA
- Great minority student support and alumni network
- Closer to support system
- Weather I am used to
- Have friends that are students here

Cons:
- Not sure how P/F step 1 will effect students ability to match
- Not as many research opportunities/low rank
- new curriculum change to PBL (I prefer PBL and CWRU has been PBL-based for a while, but the first year of curriculum changes tend to chaotic and I'm not fond of being in the guinea pig class)
- Small specialty departments
- only one small ophthalmology department
- have to move to take advantage of Regional Campuses during 3rd and/or 4th year

I am confident I would graduate from either school prepared to enter residency. I am more concerned about setting myself up for the best chance for matching into a competitive specialty and not "closing any doors" for myself before I even start. I feel like CWRU provides more opportunity, but I would like to get perspective from others with more experience than I have on how much of a impact these opportunities might actually have later. Cost is also important to me, but since I have never had to pay back such large amounts of money before, I of course don't have a real idea of how/if the extra $65k + interest in loans would effect my future life. I am fiscally disciplined and plan on paying back whatever I borrow ASAP by continuing to live like a resident for my first few years as an attending.

Thanks again for taking a few minutes out of your day to share your thoughts. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Case will get you to where you want to be more easily even though it’s a bit more expensive. They will have more research and connections to help you match into a competitive specialty

Reactions: 1 user
I think Case will get you to where you want to be more easily even though it’s a bit more expensive. They will have more research and connections to help you match into a competitive specialty
Thank you for posting a written response! Based on the poll results, I think most people would agree with your line of thinking. I think I might be leaning that way as well.

I would still really appreciate input from anyone who thinks MCG would be the better choice. Would you say that because of cost, location, or another reason that you think I may not be aware of? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would still really appreciate input from anyone who thinks MCG would be the better choice. Would you say that because of cost, location, or another reason that you think I may not be aware of? Thanks!
I clearly didn't vote for MCG but I can play devil's advocate. At MCG, the tuition will be slightly cheaper, you'll be close to your support network, and you won't have to deal with the winter. They have a history of matching students to programs in which you're interested right now which is a +1. Being close to a support network as you go through a really hard transitional phase of life can be beneficial as can saving 64k over 4 years (as this would turn into closer to 128k over 10 years with interest)

I clearly didn't vote for MCG but I can play devil's advocate. At MCG, the tuition will be slightly cheaper, you'll be close to your support network, and you won't have to deal with the winter. They have a history of matching students to programs in which you're interested right now which is a +1. Being close to a support network as you go through a really hard transitional phase of life can be beneficial as can saving 64k over 4 years (as this would turn into closer to 128k over 10 years with interest)
All really good points. It's looking like it's basically "cheaper, closer, history" vs "more opportunity, better research, better competitive specialty odds". I'm finding it hard to weigh these mostly abstract factors against each other in an objective way, since I feel like I don't have a good idea of what reality will actually be like 1) when it's time to apply for residency and 2) when I'm a new attending paying back these loans.

with surgeon income, $100K is not that difficult to pay in a year or two.
I'm sure you're absolutely right. I just have no idea what that even looks like having never even made $20k/yr before. That still sounds like a ton of money to me. It sounds easy enough to pay back in theory, but I can't tell if I'd be assuming too much to think it really would be that easy.

All really good points. It's looking like it's basically "cheaper, closer, history" vs "more opportunity, better research, better competitive specialty odds". I'm finding it hard to weigh these mostly abstract factors against each other in an objective way, since I feel like I don't have a good idea of what reality will actually be like 1) when it's time to apply for residency and 2) when I'm a new attending paying back these loans.

I'm sure you're absolutely right. I just have no idea what that even looks like having never even made $20k/yr before. That still sounds like a ton of money to me. It sounds easy enough to pay back in theory, but I can't tell if I'd be assuming too much to think it really would be that easy.
Realistically, it depends on specialty (the data below isn't perfect - it's Medscape 2019 data) but as you can see, you will be able to pay back the loans and it's important to prioritize where you can succeed. Will you be able to match into a competitive specialty from MCG? Absolutely. Will the name brand of CWRU make it easier? Almost certainly.
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 4.52.53 PM.png