I chose the places based on which programs limited rotators and interviews. People have different views on this, but my main goal was to become an orthopedic surgeon. Therefore, I did not rotate places that I would have REALLY wanted to go (Doctors, Grandview, etc, the big places). I chose smaller, less "well-known" programs that limited their rotators and interviews. I would rather become an orthopedic surgeon in Antarctica than try and go to California and not get in, basically.
Personally, I would not rotate at any ACGME places. You have a limited amount of auditions. Some schools only allow 3. Others, like mine, allow unlimited so I was able to do 6. Again, why waste a month at a place that MOST LIKELY will ghost you when it comes time to rank? This whole ortho process is a numbers game. Again, I keep referring back to people who didn't match, but of the people last year and this year that did not match, this was an underlying theme. They all rotated at big name places and interviewed, but when you have 50+ interviews, what's the chances that YOU will be ranked top 3-5....? Much lower than if you get an interview at a place that only interviews 10.
PLAY THE NUMBER GAME. BECOME AN ORTHO SURGEON.
PLAY THE WHERE DO I REALLY WANNA GO GAME, RISK NOT MATCHING.