D.O. Student Orthopedic Surgery Matched-AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any upcoming ortho students have any questions about auditions or ortho let me know. Also if anyone auditioned at a program this year and can please leave a review for that program to expand our catalog of reviews, that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Any upcoming ortho students have any questions about auditions or ortho let me know. Also if anyone auditioned at a program this year and can please leave a review for that program to expand our catalog of reviews, that would be great!
Is there a place to find a list of reviews for specific auditions in ortho?

Is there a place to find a list of reviews for specific auditions in ortho?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many aways did you do/how many is common for matched DO students?

If anyone has any questions regarding rotations or ortho let me know! Also, if you go on auditions, make sure you post your review on the DO ortho review post to help next years applicants!
In your experience, did you feel like the previous AOA programs favored COMLEX over STEP?

If anyone has any questions regarding rotations or ortho let me know! Also, if you go on auditions, make sure you post your review on the DO ortho review post to help next years applicants!

What's the best way to prepare for a 3rd year (non-audition) rotation? What kinds of things are students expected to know going into it?

What's the best way to prepare for a 3rd year (non-audition) rotation? What kinds of things are students expected to know going into it?
As a third-year, you are not expected to know much other than anatomy and how to read an X-ray. We know that you get literally zero ortho in medical school, but you should start reading up on ortho topics.

Everyone is now in the thick of things with auditions. Please feel free to DM me with questions. Also, once you complete auditions, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add your review to the osteopathic program reviews catalog to help future DO ortho applicants! There isn't much info out there for us DOs so it's nice to have somewhere to go to see program reviews.

The link is below for that forum:

do you get time to work out during ortho residency? how to stay strong? I mean doing serious heavy lifting 4-5 times a week and 1-2 hours each time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my ERAS a couple days ago and I kind of need talking off the ledge a bit. It's so hard to envision myself matching when I'm constantly surrounded by stellar applicants whose CV's are twice the size of my own own. I posted back in Feb asking if I should be going for ortho and the consensus was I was fine as long as I did well on step and level 2. I did all that, but my CV is just so lack-luster compared to everyone else. Maybe you can shed some light on your experience or whether you think I have a solid chance.
Step 1: 248
Step 2: 254
Level 1: 619
Level 2: 629
GPA 3.33
I'm also part of the honor's track in global medicine at my school which would have allowed me to get some research pertaining to global medicine under my belt, but cause of the pandemic no one is doing global electives. Earlier this year I was able to do a poster presentation with some ortho guys at a program nearby, but that's it. I wasn't part of student govt or the leader of any clubs. I did do a good chunk of volunteering in med school but it wasn't necessarily related to anything ortho. Let me know what you think.

Submitted my ERAS a couple days ago and I kind of need talking off the ledge a bit. It's so hard to envision myself matching when I'm constantly surrounded by stellar applicants whose CV's are twice the size of my own own. I posted back in Feb asking if I should be going for ortho and the consensus was I was fine as long as I did well on step and level 2. I did all that, but my CV is just so lack-luster compared to everyone else. Maybe you can shed some light on your experience or whether you think I have a solid chance.
GPA 3.33
I'm also part of the honor's track in global medicine at my school which would have allowed me to get some research pertaining to global medicine under my belt, but cause of the pandemic no one is doing global electives. Earlier this year I was able to do a poster presentation with some ortho guys at a program nearby, but that's it. I wasn't part of student govt or the leader of any clubs. I did do a good chunk of volunteering in med school but it wasn't necessarily related to anything ortho. Let me know what you think.

You’ve set yourself up well with board scores. Now you have to rotate well. If you rotate well, you should be able to snag a spot. Rotate at places that limit rotators and like boards.

GPA 3.33
You're not alone at all. Our apps are very similar and I feel this same way. I'm fighting the feeling that I need to send out some applications to another specialty just in case ortho doesn't work out

Hey
Any ortho questions please feel free to Post or PM
Hey @TheBoneDoctah

Thanks for posting this, everything in this AMA is extremely helpful. I'll probably be popping in here every once in awhile to ask questions since I'm now a third year and will be figuring out auditions and my ERAS app. Quick question though, do you feel like a lot of AOA programs care about honoring our third year rotations? Just asking since a 4th year I talked to who just finished auditions mentioned that it would be smarter for me to focus on Step2/Level2 rather than trying to meet all of the requirements for honoring my rotations. Honors at my school is mainly based off of COMAT scores and random assignments from school, but unless we hit that certain score our scores are not released to programs. So he told me not to worry about jumping through the hoops of trying to honor, and to just focus on working hard on rotations and studying for boards.

Hey

Hey @TheBoneDoctah

Thanks for posting this, everything in this AMA is extremely helpful. I'll probably be popping in here every once in awhile to ask questions since I'm now a third year and will be figuring out auditions and my ERAS app. Quick question though, do you feel like a lot of AOA programs care about honoring our third year rotations? Just asking since a 4th year I talked to who just finished auditions mentioned that it would be smarter for me to focus on Step2/Level2 rather than trying to meet all of the requirements for honoring my rotations. Honors at my school is mainly based off of COMAT scores and random assignments from school, but unless we hit that certain score our scores are not released to programs. So he told me not to worry about jumping through the hoops of trying to honor, and to just focus on working hard on rotations and studying for boards.
Totally agree. Not one program cared about my course grades.

Hey

Hey @TheBoneDoctah

In my experience studying for each COMAT was good prep for Step 2/Level 2. I took a 2 week dedicated and did very well on boards

how can you tell which programs limit rotators? @TheBoneDoctah

Keep in mind that I applied 10 years ago, but just call the residency coordinator and most of them will tell you how many students a month they rotate. Also you can ask the 4th years from your school. If you have any local programs, you should already have networked and know this info.

Recent applicants will have more info on this, my info is outdated, but probably still applicable.

Keep in mind that I applied 10 years ago, but just call the residency coordinator and most of them will tell you how many students a month they rotate. Also you can ask the 4th years from your school. If you have any local programs, you should already have networked and know this info.

Recent applicants will have more info on this, my info is outdated, but probably still applicable.

not outdated, still the standard haha

Recent applicants will have more info on this, my info is outdated, but probably still applica
Word of mouth and calling programs.

Whats the best way to determine where to do away rotations? I.e. how do we know where we might be competitive at given that step 1 is P/F. What would be your advice for this as I'd like to audition at programs that I would be competitive at matching with. For reference I attend a mid-low tier MD school.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this thread, was hoping to get some advice as I'm seriously doubting my chances for ortho now. Was looking for some advice on choosing some programs to audition at that arent so board heavy. Heres are my stats, also currently on a research year at a top 5 ortho program.

Step 1/Comlex 1 238/577
Step 2/Comlex 2 255/660
Research: 30 "publications" on my CV - this includes 15 submitted manuscripts, 5 accepted papers, and several abstracts/posters etc. Will realistically get a handful more acceptances and submissions before the year ends.
Clinical grades: mostly Honors/HP did get a P in surgery though

At this point I understand my board scores are low which may preclude me from even auditioning, I am hoping my improvements in step 2/level 2 can compensate. I think I should dual apply to GS... hoping to get the thoughts of someone more experienced.

Thanks so much for this thread, was hoping to get some advice as I'm seriously doubting my chances for ortho now. Was looking for some advice on choosing some programs to audition at that arent so board heavy. Heres are my stats, also currently on a research year at a top 5 ortho program.

Step 1/Comlex 1 238/577
Step 2/Comlex 2 255/660
Research: 30 "publications" on my CV - this includes 15 submitted manuscripts, 5 accepted papers, and several abstracts/posters etc. Will realistically get a handful more acceptances and submissions before the year ends.
Clinical grades: mostly Honors/HP did get a P in surgery though

At this point I understand my board scores are low which may preclude me from even auditioning, I am hoping my improvements in step 2/level 2 can compensate. I think I should dual apply to GS... hoping to get the thoughts of someone more experienced.
You're fine.

You're fine.
Do you think my research compensates for lower board scores? I really wanted to pursue some research track programs but am unsure if Id even be competitive. Thanks for your thoughts and time doc!

Do you think my research compensates for lower board scores? I really wanted to pursue some research track programs but am unsure if Id even be competitive. Thanks for your thoughts and time doc!

Had similar scores and more research and all my MD interviews were non-research track, oddly enough. FYI, probably won't get much love from the research tracks. You are playing ball otherwise tho

Had similar scores and more research and all my MD interviews were non-research track, oddly enough. FYI, probably won't get much love from the research tracks. You are playing ball otherwise tho
The legend! Thank you for your response, I'm feeling not so hopeless after hearing that.

I am having trouble gauging my competitiveness for ortho and hoping I can get some candid opinions here. I appreciate any thoughts!
I plan on applying to mostly DO heavy programs.

MS3 DO
Step 1/Comlex 1: 227/614
Mostly honors/HP on rotations
Only have one research experience and two case reports submitted for presentations/publications (all outside of ortho)
Strong LORs

How heavy will my score discrepancy weigh and my lack of research?

THANKS!

I am having trouble gauging my competitiveness for ortho and hoping I can get some candid opinions here. I appreciate any thoughts!
I plan on applying to mostly DO heavy programs.

MS3 DO
Step 1/Comlex 1: 227/614
Mostly honors/HP on rotations
Only have one research experience and two case reports submitted for presentations/publications (all outside of ortho)
Strong LORs

How heavy will my score discrepancy weigh and my lack of research?

THANKS!
Focus on DO programs and crush your auditions..

Are there any general numbers in terms of Step + research output where aiming for formerly MD programs would be recommended? (Those who have taken at least 1 DO before) Not really asking for myself but just curious.

Last edited:
Are there any general numbers in terms of Step + research output where aiming for formerly MD programs would be recommended? (Those who have taken at least 1 DO before) Not really asking for myself but just curious.
Not always about boards, it’s more about connections. I’ve spoken with several DO’s in MD ortho residencies and every single one of them had a connection to the program in one way or another. With that said most of them had really high board scores, but there were a couple with average or even below average scores but they made up for their board scores by killing their away rotations at those MD programs.

Not always about boards, it’s more about connections. I’ve spoken with several DO’s in MD ortho residencies and every single one of them had a connection to the program in one way or another. With that said most of them had really high board scores, but there were a couple with average or even below average scores but they made up for their board scores by killing their away rotations at those MD programs.
Thats fair. I guess I've always read that if you wanted to match at an MD residency for ortho, you needed to be top of the top in terms of boards and research since it seems like MD programs care about research more than the community DO programs. I would be too afraid to waste one of my 5 auditions at a place I have a low likelihood of matching anyway.

To match at an MD residency as a DO without some kind of connection or crazy circumstance, you will likely need a crazy amount of research (lots of times at that institution), top board scores, and an amazing audition. This is what I have seen for DOs matching at MD. IMO, it is far from worth it to try for MD as a DO. I had great boards and a good amount of research and had three MD interviews but didn't match MD. IMO, it's just not worth the loss of a month at a DO program which you may have a chance of matching.

If you are DO, go for DO. Do you best to score as high as you can on boards, get some research, and crush your auditions (try and rotate at at least 5 places). This is how you get a successful match.

To match at an MD residency as a DO without some kind of connection or crazy circumstance, you will likely need a crazy amount of research (lots of times at that institution), top board scores, and an amazing audition. This is what I have seen for DOs matching at MD. IMO, it is far from worth it to try for MD as a DO. I had great boards and a good amount of research and had three MD interviews but didn't match MD. IMO, it's just not worth the loss of a month at a DO program which you may have a chance of matching.

If you are DO, go for DO. Do you best to score as high as you can on boards, get some research, and crush your auditions (try and rotate at at least 5 places). This is how you get a successful match.
I have seen more and more DO's matching traditionally ACGME ortho residencies tho but agree that research and scores are key for that.

I have seen more and more DO's matching traditionally ACGME ortho residencies tho but agree that research and scores are key for that.
How many? Again, most the DOs that match MD either A. Have something that links them to that program like doing years of research there or B. Habe special in at that program. It's not worth the squeeze. What I mean is, i would not apply only MD because there is a 99% chance you will NOT match. Sure, apply to all the DO programs and then however many MDs you want, but your eye should be on the DO programs.

You would be surprised at how many auditioning students don't understand statistics and go unmatched because they rotate at 1-2 programs, rotate at 6 programs, but of those 6, 3 are MD, or just purely rotate at MD places. If you are serious about matching ortho, you need to use common sense stats and apply where you have the best shot (which is DO ortho at places you ROTATED AT).

Reactions: 4 users
How many? Again, most the DOs that match MD either A. Have something that links them to that program like doing years of research there or B. Habe special in at that program. It's not worth the squeeze. What I mean is, i would not apply only MD because there is a 99% chance you will NOT match. Sure, apply to all the DO programs and then however many MDs you want, but your eye should be on the DO programs.

You would be surprised at how many auditioning students don't understand statistics and go unmatched because they rotate at 1-2 programs, rotate at 6 programs, but of those 6, 3 are MD, or just purely rotate at MD places. If you are serious about matching ortho, you need to use common sense stats and apply where you have the best shot (which is DO ortho at places you ROTATED AT).
I agree, its just what I have seen from match lists over the past few years.Research, scores and letters are huge in that, but sometimes its just applying and getting 3-4 MD invites and just getting lucky lol, I would do only DO auditions or like 1 MD audition max for a letter. Like you had 3 MD invites, I don't know how you ranked your programs but if you put your MD programs 1-3 you might have gotten lucky lol unless the programs that interviewed you just interviewed you with no real intention of ranking you in which case idk why they are wasting their and your time lol.

I agree, its just what I have seen from match lists over the past few years.Research, scores and letters are huge in that, but sometimes its just applying and getting 3-4 MD invites and just getting lucky lol, I would do only DO auditions or like 1 MD audition max for a letter. Like you had 3 MD invites, I don't know how you ranked your programs but if you put your MD programs 1-3 you might have gotten lucky lol
I did put them 1-3 and so did the other DOs I know. One DO I know was really liked by the residents and they said they ranked him high on the resident list, however he did not match there. There is for sure DO bias at MD programs in ortho. I felt it 100% on all my interviews. I actually felt uncomfortable on one because I was the only DO there and they were looking at me like an outsider. Have never felt like that before.

I did put them 1-3 and so did the other DOs I know. One DO I know was really liked by the residents and they said they ranked him high on the resident list, however he did not match there. There is for sure DO bias at MD programs in ortho. I felt it 100% on all my interviews. I actually felt uncomfortable on one because I was the only DO there and they were looking at me like an outsider. Have never felt like that before.
Yea idk atleast interviews are being given out so in that sense things are moving in the right direction. The raw number of DO ortho matches at MD programs is also rising it seems like.

Alright 2021 audition season is over for the class of 2022 and interviews should be all finished up. Can we please get some of you that just completed audition rotations to post about your experiences on the forum below