This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medipotato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After spending many restless nights reading all these forum posts and worrying, I finally decided to post my stats and whatnots here to see if I can get any help... Every day goes by so quickly and I feel like I'm not doing anything to increase my chances of getting into med school...

To begin, I started at a CC for two years, went off to a UC and just recently graduated (class of 2016) with a current GPA of 3.00/sGPA 2.67. I struggled a lot with adjusting from CC to a UC and didn't have enough time to fully adjust, there a small upward trend in my grades but not anything significant. I was also working (part-time) through both of my undergraduate careers but none of this is an excuse for my poor grade performance. I've since gone back to my CC and began retaking a few science classes but due to working 45 hr a week I've only been able to fit one or two classes a semester. (I work to pay for my classes and living expenses) I've taken the new MCAT once and got a score of 505 and plan to retake in a few months hoping to get a much higher score, currently studying my butt off...

As for extracurriculars I have:
- Currently working Full time as a Medical/Office Assistant at a Surgical Practice
- 250+ Hours working as an M.A. in a Pediatrics Clinic (giving immunizations, minor procedures, etc.)
- 9 months Autism Study Research intern at UC (medical records and lab)
- 5 months Student Assistant at Neuroscience Research Center at UC
- 1 yr + Shadowing General/Bariatric Surgery in a hospital
- 200+ Clinical Volunteer Hours at Hospital
- President/Co-Founder of a Pre-med Club at my Community College
- Vice President of Pre-Med Professional Fraternity
- Recipient of two scholarships and awards at Community College

I was unsure about medicine during the beginning of college and not knowing what I was doing plus the constant change of environment plus work and everything else threw off my academic performance. However, I know this is no excuse and I take full responsibility for all the mistakes I've made. After all the patient experience, I now know that I want to be a doctor for sure but I don't know what I should do about my GPA...

My question is should I even bother applying when applications open this time around or should I continue taking classes? Should I quit and start some sort of Academic record Enhancer post-bacc? Try my chances at a DO program?

I know this was a long post and I know that there are tons of these here but thanks for taking the time to read through mine... I'll truly appreciate any advice I can get (be honest, it won't hurt my feeling haha)

TL;DR GPA 3.00/sGPA 2.67, no significant upward trend in GPA, decent(?) E.C.s What should I do if I want to be a doctor? What am I doing with my life and Halp.... :(

Members don't see this ad.

After spending many restless nights reading all these forum posts and worrying, I finally decided to post my stats and whatnots here to see if I can get any help... Every day goes by so quickly and I feel like I'm not doing anything to increase my chances of getting into med school...

To begin, I started at a CC for two years, went off to a UC and just recently graduated (class of 2016) with a current GPA of 3.00/sGPA 2.67. I struggled a lot with adjusting from CC to a UC and didn't have enough time to fully adjust, there a small upward trend in my grades but not anything significant. I was also working (part-time) through both of my undergraduate careers but none of this is an excuse for my poor grade performance. I've since gone back to my CC and began retaking a few science classes but due to working 45 hr a week I've only been able to fit one or two classes a semester. (I work to pay for my classes and living expenses) I've taken the new MCAT once and got a score of 505 and plan to retake in a few months hoping to get a much higher score, currently studying my butt off...

As for extracurriculars I have:
- Currently working Full time as a Medical/Office Assistant at a Surgical Practice
- 250+ Hours working as an M.A. in a Pediatrics Clinic (giving immunizations, minor procedures, etc.)
- 9 months Autism Study Research intern at UC (medical records and lab)
- 5 months Student Assistant at Neuroscience Research Center at UC
- 1 yr + Shadowing General/Bariatric Surgery in a hospital
- 200+ Clinical Volunteer Hours at Hospital
- President/Co-Founder of a Pre-med Club at my Community College
- Vice President of Pre-Med Professional Fraternity
- Recipient of two scholarships and awards at Community College

I was unsure about medicine during the beginning of college and not knowing what I was doing plus the constant change of environment plus work and everything else threw off my academic performance. However, I know this is no excuse and I take full responsibility for all the mistakes I've made. After all the patient experience, I now know that I want to be a doctor for sure but I don't know what I should do about my GPA...

My question is should I even bother applying when applications open this time around or should I continue taking classes? Should I quit and start some sort of Academic record Enhancer post-bacc? Try my chances at a DO program?

I know this was a long post and I know that there are tons of these here but thanks for taking the time to read through mine... I'll truly appreciate any advice I can get (be honest, it won't hurt my feeling haha)

TL;DR GPA 3.00/sGPA 2.67, no significant upward trend in GPA, decent(?) E.C.s What should I do if I want to be a doctor? What am I doing with my life and Halp.... :(
It sounds like MD will be near-impossible (especially if you are a CA resident), and DO will be very difficult now that grade replacement is over. I don't know how you plan to study for the MCAT while working 45 hours and taking classes, but it seems like you got everything wrong academically thus far. You need to do everything right moving on, if you want a realistic shot. Don't set yourself up to underperform. Maybe you can get your GPA up and ace an SMP for a decent shot at DO, but you really haven't demonstrated the ability to succeed yet. If you weren't able to adapt to a "change of environment" after two years, how do you plan to excel when the stakes are higher and the timeline more compressed?

Your ECs look fine, and you seem like you're willing to work hard. You need to find a way to focus entirely on your academics, because that will be what makes it or breaks it for you.

I think you have a ok/good shot at DO schools with your current stats. However I would recommend a SMP to boot your GPA and retaking your MCAT (aim for >510) to have a better chance at DO and possibly MD. I agree with the previous poster that this is really what you want, then you should really focus on your academics and perhaps postpone working. 45 hours a week of work, plus classes, plus MCAT studying is a lot. Your extracurriculars look really good though! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A 505 MCAT and a 2.7 sGPA does NOT make you competitive for DO schools.

I missed the sGPA when I read the original thread and only saw the cGPA. Yes you are right. OP you need to focus on an SMP and to not work to have your best shot. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I missed the sGPA when I read the original thread and only saw the cGPA. Yes you are right. OP you need to focus on an SMP and to not work to have your best shot. Good luck!
Even the cGPA is low (average is 3.5)

As others have already said, your GPA and MCAT are too low. You will definitely have an uphill battle as it stands right now. Your ECs, on the other hand, are quite good. I don't think you need to work more on that. In fact, you should probably scale back time commitments in ECs right now and focus on your grades. I agree with other posters that both MD and DO are tough with your current stats. Caribbean MD is more likely, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Since money seems to be an issue for you--and perhaps contributed to your inability to focus on studies, perhaps you should just graduate, get a job, save enough money to do a post-bacc program without having to work so many hours, see if you can really nail your science classes (4.0 or as close as possible), rock the MCAT...then you'll have a good shot. You need to show that you've somehow figured out your academic problem before moving on. Even if you somehow eek out a few A's this late in the game, it basically looks like you've just been limping along academically and got lucky at the end. There wouldn't appear to be any "a ha" moment...which admissions officers are going to want to see to know you can cut the mustard in med school. The amount of knowledge you'll need to learn and retain is ten-fold in med school, so any weakness will be exposed quickly.

Other options are to consider becoming a PA, AA, etc. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I honestly don't think you have a great shot at MD/DO right now. You can try...you never know. But your chances are low, indeed. Best bet is to probably do something that pays the bills for a year or two with whatever undergraduate degree you eared, then decide if med school is worth going back to the drawing board for and refocusing your energies. Retake your science pre-reqs (you can do this in a year with a compressed post-bacc or taking flanking summer classes), retake and rock the MCAT. Then you've got a really good shot.

Good luck!

MD is not a realistic option.

The ~28 MCAT is good for DO, ECs are good for DO. That GPA/sGPA is the problem.

You need to find a way to take more than 1-2 classes per semester of grade repair or that 2.67 will take years and years to rise at all. Work part-time or even take some loans to go back to school full time, get the GPA up, then apply DO.

Reactions: 3 users
SMP/post-bacc is the way to go. The downfall of your application is GPA, so that's what you want to remedy. Retaking classes at CC is only going to help that so much. Proving you can handle the caliber of classes more in line with what would be experienced in med school is what you should focus on.

SMP or post bac. Honestly your MCAT is fine for DO, retaking it is like throwing water on your flowers when your house is on fire. Ideally attend one of the post bacs at schools that give you an interview or acceptance at the end

Thank you all for the advice. I think I'm gonna work for a year to save up some money and commit to a post bacc or smp somewhere in California to get my grades up. I really want to do an MD because I potential want to do surgical? but if DO is the more feasible option then that's fine too. I actually really like the whole DO hollistic approach, just that I want to do surgery is turning me more towards an MD.

Should I even bother with retaking the MCAT this time around then? Or should I wait and save the chance for when I'm less busy and have more time to focus and study? I've already paid for the test but I have heard taking it too many times does not look good?

As for postbacc programs... Which would be the most feasible option considering that I can't afford a really expensive program for a long time? Ive heard that SMPs are very expensive... What about DIY post bacc? Might I even be able to get some financial aid if I do that?

Thanks for answering my questions!

Should I even bother with retaking the MCAT this time around then? Or should I wait and save the chance for when I'm less busy and have more time to focus and study? I've already paid for the test but I have heard taking it too many times does not look good?

Only take the MCAT if you are consistently scoring significantly better than your previous score on your practice exams. AAMC recommends that schools average the scores of multiple MCAT administrations. Going from 505 to a 509 might not help too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for the advice. I think I'm gonna work for a year to save up some money and commit to a post bacc or smp somewhere in California to get my grades up. I really want to do an MD because I potential want to do surgical? but if DO is the more feasible option then that's fine too. I actually really like the whole DO hollistic approach, just that I want to do surgery is turning me more towards an MD.

As for postbacc programs... Which would be the most feasible option considering that I can't afford a really expensive program for a long time? Ive heard that SMPs are very expensive... What about DIY post bacc? Might I even be able to get some financial aid if I do that?

Thanks for answering my questions!

In my mind, a DIY post-bac when you've already taken all the pre-reqs and the MCAT is a waste of time and money, particularly now that grade replacement isn't an option for DO applicants.

A SMP is an expensive bet that you can end up in the top half of a typical medical school class when taking classes along side medical students. Are you willing to bet $50K and a year of your life that you can achieve that? If so, go for it.

It might be worth looking into other careers that would make it possible for you to get into the OR or into clinical settings that play to your strengths and are within reach for someone with your academic record.

A SMP is an expensive bet that you can end up in the top half of a typical medical school class when taking classes along side medical students. Are you willing to bet $50K and a year of your life that you can achieve that? If so, go for it.

I am willing to make the commitment if it can help my chances. Are there any one year smps or postbaccs in California that you would recommend? Willing to relocate if necessary but preferably not....

It might be worth looking into other careers that would make it possible for you to get into the OR or into clinical settings that play to your strengths and are within reach for someone with your academic record.

Such as? I feel like everything is out of reach with my GPA... PA, Nursing, etc...

Last edited:
I am willing to make the commitment if it can help my chances. Are there any one year smps or postbaccs in California that you would recommend? Willing to relocate if necessary but preferably not....

Such as? I feel like everything is out of reach with my GPA... PA, Nursing, etc...

If you could get the sGPA up to around 2.9ish or higher you would get some looks from podiatry schools. It's a pretty good gig, foot and ankle surgery, good hours compared to other surgeons, and good salary.

Is it a good idea to take your MCAT now? With your timeline it would take several years before you have enough classes to impact your GPA, and by then your MCAT may be expired.

An SMP may work, but you have to all 100% in it. No working on the side. You sure as hell won't have much time to adjust. Really think about whether this one's a good idea for you because this is your one-time redo.

Many PA schools have a 3.0 cutoff (for example Keck and UCDavis), so with a few classes that's not out of reach given your other experiences.

How many science classes do you have? Can you increase your spga to 3.0? 3.0's and 505 would give you a shot at DO schools, IMHO especially the newer ones. Good Luck.

Sorry for the long gap in reply, I've been busy with trying to figure out my life haha...

Since I did my undergrad in NPB, I have a lot of science classes. I don't know how much I would need to bring my GPA up but I feel like ~50 units of science classes with a 4.0 would help...?

I was looking into Post Bacc programs (CSU East Bay to be specific) and I was wondering if that would be a good option for me? Any other California SMPs/Post Baccs out there? I really would rather not spend $40+k a year at an SMP at USC if I can help it....

Read this:
Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

SMPs are a dime a dozen. Pick one, or do the DIY post-bac. Both have plusses and minuses. I'm pretty sure I've had people come to my school after doing well at the East Bay program.

Sorry for the long gap in reply, I've been busy with trying to figure out my life haha...

Since I did my undergrad in NPB, I have a lot of science classes. I don't know how much I would need to bring my GPA up but I feel like ~50 units of science classes with a 4.0 would help...?

I was looking into Post Bacc programs (CSU East Bay to be specific) and I was wondering if that would be a good option for me? Any other California SMPs/Post Baccs out there? I really would rather not spend $40+k a year at an SMP at USC if I can help it....

@Goro is the master on this stuff, but I wanted to say that with a 2.67 sGPA, your 505 MCAT is actually impressive. Several of my classmates with 4.0, and 3.7 GPAs scored 490, 499, 477, all below 500.

Hi,

First and foremost, the amazing part of medicine is that you're never out. If there's even an ounce of you that wants it, you CAN and WILL make it happen. There are tons of interviewees I met this application cycle that were in your shoes and sparked a positive change. And the crazy part is, when they accomplished the turnaround, that was very unique and caused them to stand out.

By no means will it be easy, but it's possible.

With that being said, I would definitely look into CSU East Bay post-bac program. I'm a CA resident, and I have worked with those students before; they find the program to be helpful and rewarding. It also comes with a Kaplan MCAT class I believe, so it would work for you. If you have specific Qs, feel free to PM me!

Best of luck!

I would spend some time thinking about why your switch to a UC was so difficult, which prevented you from properly adjusting over the course of 2 years. Medical school will inundate you with new challenges. Could you handle it?

@Goro is the master on this stuff, but I wanted to say that with a 2.67 sGPA, your 505 MCAT is actually impressive. Several of my classmates with 4.0, and 3.7 GPAs scored 490, 499, 477, all below 500.
You know someone who averaged a score of 119.25 on each section???

Wait, classmates in what program scored 490? And they're now in med school? As in, they're going to be doctors? Yikes.

The lowest acceptee MCAT this year a 472.... and this is for MD schools.

Per AMCAS infographic

Wait, classmates in what program scored 490? And they're now in med school? As in, they're going to be doctors? Yikes.
The lowest acceptee MCAT this year a 472.... and this is for MD schools.

Per AMCAS infographic
Keep in mind there are combined degree programs that ask people to take the MCAT but don't have a minimum required score. I bet that's at play

Last edited:
someone must have made quite a large donation

I heard a story once of a vet who got accepted to multiple schools with a 3. He had to take the MCAT while he was actively in battle with Osama Bin Laden ;) @gonnif

Sorry I couldn't help myself :banana:

For all you neurotic pre-meds that will read this, I'm kidding.

There are tons of schools that accept students with an MCAT score of 477. ;););)

There are tons of schools that accept students with an MCAT score of 477. ;););)

If this is true then there might be a light at the end of this long and dark tunnel haha. :whoa:

I would spend some time thinking about why your switch to a UC was so difficult, which prevented you from properly adjusting over the course of 2 years. Medical school will inundate you with new challenges. Could you handle it?

What had happened was I spread my time too thin. Going to Davis, I still had to arrange times to come home (in socal) due to many family matters. I worked a full time job and maybe tried to take on too much ECs on the side. I admit I also underestimated the difficulties of University vs. CC and that also contributed to my low GPA. I know that if I focused my time and had fewer obligations with family, work, and ECs I could have gotten a better GPA. Family issues I had back then are mostly resolved now but mistakes were made in the past and I can't change that now. I do know that I can be more committed to anything I decide to take now and I know I can perform if I plan out what I need to do next to reach my goals.

I've looked at multiple programs and probably the only one I could (financially and location-wise) reasonably attend is the Keck Grad Institute (KGI) Post Bacc or DIY Post Bacc.
The USC SMP along with the Western one is way out of my budget...

I would also love to attend the EastBay one as well but the living expenses to move up there again might put that one out of the question... But that might be a third option if it is what I need to do.

I've also looked into the UC Post Bacs but I'm not sure if I qualify with the whole minority/educationally disadvantaged. I'm Asian and even though my parents never attended anything higher than middle school, I still feel like I'm an ORM to the application.

My best option right now might be to do a DIY PostBacc with upper division classes. I was wondering if there was a thread anywhere that could help me with planning a DIY Post-Bacc in the SoCal/West LA area? I've done some searching myself but there are just so many threads on here. Can anyone recommend a school to get some upper-divs done at? What upper-divs should I take? All the researching I did and I still feel so lost...

Thanks again to everyone for all the help and encouragement. I truly appreciate every reply on here. :)