dartmouth waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuillezVJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sigh. such a sad, thin little envelope. Does anyone know how the waitlist moves? Especially, about how many people they waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm tempted to say there is quite a bit of waitlist movement, just because it's so far up north and the folks who apply to Dartmouth often also apply to other east coast ivies that they'll likely attend over dartmouth. When did you receive your letter and when was your interview? Are they sending waitlist letters out NOW? :eek:

cuillezVJ said:
sigh. such a sad, thin little envelope. Does anyone know how the waitlist moves? Especially, about how many people they waitlist?

Hi, can anyone please, please tell me anything about DMS decisions. I interviewed there way back in Nov. 4th, and I have not heard a bleep from them. In fact, I called them 3x and they said, "its not unusual for applicants to not have heard back yet." I getting no news is pure torture, especially if they lost my application, or lost my little blue card which says which program I am interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
funshine said:
I'm tempted to say there is quite a bit of waitlist movement, just because it's so far up north and the folks who apply to Dartmouth often also apply to other east coast ivies that they'll likely attend over dartmouth. When did you receive your letter and when was your interview? Are they sending waitlist letters out NOW? :eek:

I got mine TODAY. It was along with an acceptance letter from UTSA, which softened the blow, but only slightly. I am very, very bummed. DMS is my top choice. I interviewed there in early december.

cuillezVJ said:
I got mine TODAY. It was along with an acceptance letter from UTSA, which softened the blow, but only slightly. I am very, very bummed. DMS is my top choice. I interviewed there in early december.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I am going to call their admissions office next Monday if I don't get a waitlist letter in the mail.

cuillezVJ said:

Well, if it's your first choice, you should definitely write a letter of intent, ASAP! Good luck :)

Dr.Giggles said:
Hi, can anyone please, please tell me anything about DMS decisions.

Hi Dr. Giggles, I posted about how DMS decisions are sent out in the other Dartmouth thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=248643) that both you and cuillezVJ had posted to... I don't know if you saw it (it's post #16 on that page). I don't know anything about the timing for final notification of all applicants -- but it is true it can take them a long time to make a decision.

As far as waitlist movement, I agree with funshine that there will be many people who applied to a range of east coast schools and ultimately decide that they would rather be in a more urban environment. I know someone who was admitted off the waitlist mid-summer last year, and when I interviewed there my host + housemate had both gotten off the waitlist too. It seemed, from when I was there, that there is good waitlist movement.

cuillezVJ, if it's your first choice maybe you should write them a letter in hopes of getting yourself moved up the waitlist -- I don't know if the WL is ranked, but I'd guess expressing such a strong interest in the school can only help you.

Be thankful you're on the DMS waitlist. I was rejected during the first wave :(

2010MD said:
Hi Dr. Giggles, I posted about how DMS decisions are sent out in the other Dartmouth thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=248643) that both you and cuillezVJ had posted to... I don't know if you saw it (it's post #16 on that page). I don't know anything about the timing for final notification of all applicants -- but it is true it can take them a long time to make a decision.

As far as waitlist movement, I agree with funshine that there will be many people who applied to a range of east coast schools and ultimately decide that they would rather be in a more urban environment. I know someone who was admitted off the waitlist mid-summer last year, and when I interviewed there my host + housemate had both gotten off the waitlist too. It seemed, from when I was there, that there is good waitlist movement.

cuillezVJ, if it's your first choice maybe you should write them a letter in hopes of getting yourself moved up the waitlist -- I don't know if the WL is ranked, but I'd guess expressing such a strong interest in the school can only help you.

Yes, thank you very much for reminding me. I forgot all about the thread since I posted before the later posts explained how the admissions procedured. It sounds Dartmouth's list is ranked. Well, I guess no news is good news. I sounded irked because I have no idea how DMS admission's process works.

funshine said:
Well, if it's your first choice, you should definitely write a letter of intent, ASAP! Good luck :)

i've heard (from someone who would definitely know) that DMS doesn't really look at LOIs as a factor. But maybe it couldn't hurt.

Dr.Giggles said:
It sounds Dartmouth's list is ranked. Well, I guess no news is good news. I sounded irked because I have no idea how DMS admission's process works.

no.... not ranked. they re-examine the whole pool everytime they have an opening. that much i know. what i've also HEARD is that they try to fill a spot with a similar candidate b/c they're looking to keep the class dynamic balanced or some such.

anyone know if they are still sending invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
BMW M3 said:
Be thankful you're on the DMS waitlist. I was rejected during the first wave :(

Bummer. Take heart in knowing that NYU is a better school anyway.

interviewed 11/3, rejection postmarked 12/8 but it took over a month to find its way to me :confused:

screw dms, i dont know what theyre looking for. were probably all too good for them. its in the middle of a frigid nowhere anyway. all i cared about were the business school and bragging about the ivy league, rank or no rank; maybe thats why i didnt get in but i tried to be sincere :confused: :smuggrin: :mad:

Shredder said:
interviewed 11/3, rejection postmarked 12/8 but it took over a month to find its way to me :confused:

screw dms, i dont know what theyre looking for. were probably all too good for them. its in the middle of a frigid nowhere anyway. all i cared about were the business school and bragging about the ivy league, rank or no rank; maybe thats why i didnt get in but i tried to be sincere :confused: :smuggrin: :mad:

bitter much?

golftrippy said:
bitter much?
bitterness tastes good under the right circumstances ha. i was surprised though, i had been counting on an acceptance from them. theyre not in a position to be uber selective about applicants, maybe theyre trying to be tough

Shredder said:
bitterness tastes good under the right circumstances ha. i was surprised though, i had been counting on an acceptance from them. theyre not in a position to be uber selective about applicants, maybe theyre trying to be tough

I just messing with you...but Dartmouth being an ivy definately ups their competitiveness, and I think they are known for looking for things other than numbers...either way, we all know how random this process is...

What's Dartmouth finaid like? Are they stingy? Generous? Better than Harvard?

golftrippy said:
I just messing with you...but Dartmouth being an ivy definately ups their competitiveness, and I think they are known for looking for things other than numbers...either way, we all know how random this process is...
yeah whos not known for looking for things "other than numbers", thats prolly why their us news number is what it is. when you look for things other than numbers then you get things other than numbers as the result. dammet i cant wait to start my own med school, 1 test score admission, IIT style. it will dwarf all of the other med schools. study after study always show that objective measures make better predictors in anything than social engineers' whims

Shredder said:

Dude, I know you're just venting but chill out and stop knocking DMS for those of us who are actually excited about it! And as for your comment, if there's one thing you should have learned by now it's that you can't count on anything in this process...

2010MD said:
Dude, I know you're just venting but chill out and stop knocking DMS for those of us who are actually excited about it! And as for your comment, if there's one thing you should have learned by now it's that you can't count on anything in this process...
im sorry, youre right. i in fact would have liked to go there if i had gotten in. maybe i just truly was not a good fit for some reason. it was a scenic place, unique. the fall foliage was beautiful. its too bad i wont be able to become a snowboarding pro but maybe you can. the med school was modest but it seemed like a safe and peaceful area. the patient population is neat and clean, not rife with many of the problems other parts of the country face. its probably the rural location and sparse population that have prevented it from rising into the med school big leagues. its hard to gather up lots of money under those conditions, and money is what drives rankings. i was out of line, i shouldnt let emotions get the best of me like a girly man. congrats on dms+ it was good of you to call me out

Shredder said:
im sorry, youre right. i in fact would have liked to go there if i had gotten in. maybe i just truly was not a good fit for some reason. it was a scenic place, unique. the fall foliage was beautiful. its too bad i wont be able to become a snowboarding pro but maybe you can. the med school was modest but it seemed like a safe and peaceful area. the patient population is neat and clean, not rife with many of the problems other parts of the country face. its probably the rural location and sparse population that have prevented it from rising into the med school big leagues. its hard to gather up lots of money under those conditions, and money is what drives rankings. i was out of line, i shouldnt let emotions get the best of me like a girly man. congrats on dms+ it was good of you to call me out

Aww, don't worry about it... and now you might be going overboard! Thanks for checking yourself gracefully, though. Good luck with all your other apps!

ANyone know ~how many people end up waitlisted? (pointlessly trying to figure out my chances)

ALSO, the school i'm accepted to (in state) has their white coat ceremony in JULY, and according to dartmouth i could hear from them thru august. So do i go to school and then just say, oops, sorry, find someone else to start here a few weeks late- if i get off the waitlist? what a terrible process.

cuillezVJ said:
ANyone know ~how many people end up waitlisted? (pointlessly trying to figure out my chances)

ALSO, the school i'm accepted to (in state) has their white coat ceremony in JULY, and according to dartmouth i could hear from them thru august. So do i go to school and then just say, oops, sorry, find someone else to start here a few weeks late- if i get off the waitlist? what a terrible process.

Once you start orientation, you're locked to that school, sucks for people in that position but that's the game . . .

Rafa said:
What's Dartmouth finaid like? Are they stingy? Generous? Better than Harvard?

I've heard from current DMS students that it's pretty good. I think it's like undergrad though- if your parents financial info on FAFSA means you're "needy" then Dartmouth will give you grants. Otherwise, it's just loans...