This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kpj560

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would put out a review/any info to help because I used these threads a lot while studying for the DAT. This summer was pretty much hell, but so worth it. In the end I ended up with the following:

PAT: 18
BIO:23
GC: 22
OC:22
RC:26
QR:20
AA: 23

Here is what I did to study:
BOOTCAMP, BOOTCAMP, BOOTCAMP. USE IT TIL YOU HATE IT.
I followed the 10 week study guide religiously, except I would recommend that you allow yourself 12-13 weeks instead. It was a lot to make time for. I purchased the DAT destroyer and Math destroyer as well. These books were so worth the money. All of the problems in the books were way more challenging than the actual DAT, but reenforced major concepts that appeared. Highly recommend purchasing both of these books. I also read AP Biology Cliff notes. These helped to reteach/refresh myself about major concepts that showed up on biology. I read through Ferali's notes 3 full times which was a lot, but if you spread it out over the course of your studying, it helps to remember small details that show up on DAT. I used the DAT destroyer for Gen Chem and O Chem as well.

For Reading, I think I got lucky with the passages on the day of the test, but I had never scored this high. I normally averaged a 20-21 on my practice tests. I did not study for reading except for the passages on the practice tests. The strategy that worked for me was to spend 10 min reading the passage, then 10 min answering the questions (20 min per passage).

PAT was obviously my weakness. I never got very good at the keyhole questions or pattern folding. On the actual test, I ran way out of time and ended up having to put "B" for the last 15 questions I never got to! YIKES! But, for this, I would say Bootcamp was about the same difficulty as the questions I had for the DAT. I definitely put the PAT off because I hated it (and knew it wouldn't really count towards my average), but I recommend practicing each day, even if it is 20 minutes. It will help you and pay off. This is something I wish I did.

I did do all the full length practice tests and 2007/2009 DAT tests. I never scored as high as I did on any of the practice tests, but they weren't too far off. I would say the 2009 is most representative. 2007 o chem was very easy compared to the 2017. 2009 math was way harder than what I had on the 2017.

Lastly, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. I spent 8 hours a day studying for the test and still didn't really feel like I was ready, but you have to be confident in yourself going into it! Know that it's worth it in the end to have the dream job that you've always wanted. I had to remind myself this constantly throughout because it sucks the living day light out of you. I strongly recommend using DAT bootcamp and all the materials that Ari recommends. I couldn't have gotten the results I did without it all!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
I thought I would put out a review/any info to help because I used these threads a lot while studying for the DAT. This summer was pretty much hell, but so worth it. In the end I ended up with the following:

I followed the 10 week study guide religiously, except I would recommend that you allow yourself 12-13 weeks instead. It was a lot to make time for. I purchased the DAT destroyer and Math destroyer as well. These books were so worth the money. All of the problems in the books were way more challenging than the actual DAT, but reenforced major concepts that appeared. Highly recommend purchasing both of these books. I also read AP Biology Cliff notes. These helped to reteach/refresh myself about major concepts that showed up on biology. I read through Ferali's notes 3 full times which was a lot, but if you spread it out over the course of your studying, it helps to remember small details that show up on DAT. I used the DAT destroyer for Gen Chem and O Chem as well.

For Reading, I think I got lucky with the passages on the day of the test, but I had never scored this high. I normally averaged a 20-21 on my practice tests. I did not study for reading except for the passages on the practice tests. The strategy that worked for me was to spend 10 min reading the passage, then 10 min answering the questions (20 min per passage).

PAT was obviously my weakness. I never got very good at the keyhole questions or pattern folding. On the actual test, I ran way out of time and ended up having to put "B" for the last 15 questions I never got to! YIKES! But, for this, I would say Bootcamp was about the same difficulty as the questions I had for the DAT. I definitely put the PAT off because I hated it (and knew it wouldn't really count towards my average), but I recommend practicing each day, even if it is 20 minutes. It will help you and pay off. This is something I wish I did.

I did do all the full length practice tests and 2007/2009 DAT tests. I never scored as high as I did on any of the practice tests, but they weren't too far off. I would say the 2009 is most representative. 2007 o chem was very easy compared to the 2017. 2009 math was way harder than what I had on the 2017.

Lastly, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. I spent 8 hours a day studying for the test and still didn't really feel like I was ready, but you have to be confident in yourself going into it! Know that it's worth it in the end to have the dream job that you've always wanted. I had to remind myself this constantly throughout because it sucks the living day light out of you. I strongly recommend using DAT bootcamp and all the materials that Ari recommends. I couldn't have gotten the results I did without it all!!
Congratulations! DAT Beast Destroyed. You put in a lot of hard work and and I agree "Believing in yourself" is important. You spent your summer preparing for the DAT and stated it was hell, but now you reap the rewards of all your efforts. Thanks for the detailed breakdown and tips for future test takers.

Good luck to you

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your scores and thank you for the great breakdown. Good luck with your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! Now you can relax. I've been hitting the beach almost every second day since finishing mine in early Aug., XD

Great work on the exam - I definitely agree with the advice to set aside a small chunk of time each day for the PAT section, the consistent practice pays off huge long term.

Last edited:

Did you use the latest Destroyer editions?

Congratulations! DAT Beast Destroyed. You put in a lot of hard work and and I agree "Believing in yourself" is important. You spent your summer preparing for the DAT and stated it was hell, but now you reap the rewards of all your efforts. Thanks for the detailed breakdown and tips for future test takers.

Good luck to you

Nancy

Is it important to get 2017 Destroyer? I purchased mine in 2013. I did the entire math destroyer about 5 times. I did Gen Chem Destroyer once and 1/2 of Orgo Destroyer. My Bio is still from 2013 as well. Is it worth it to invest in 2017 editions? Thank you so much!

Is it important to get 2017 Destroyer? I purchased mine in 2013. I did the entire math destroyer about 5 times. I did Gen Chem Destroyer once and 1/2 of Orgo Destroyer. My Bio is still from 2013 as well. Is it worth it to invest in 2017 editions? Thank you so much!

I don't know how much different it is because I have only ever seen the 2017 versions. I will say that the biology was very relevant to the 2017 DAT bio section that I took. I would say if you have the money and time, think about getting it! but i don't know how different it is from the 2013 versions!!