DAT Breakdown 21 AA/TS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jyggaswoop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying please ignore my grammar. I have been told it's bad.

I am a Biology BS and to be honest that helped a lot in the studying process. I had recently taken Anatomy, Genetics, and Evolution, and Immunology the semesters before studying and genetics/evolution/anatomy/immunology let me breeze past those 2 of feralis/AP CLIFF chapters in the studying process.

My gpa is a 3.49 s, 3.42 overall. My first semester of college gpa was a 2.1 science 2.4 overall (didn't even party hard, just didn't study at all and played FIFA- unfortunately still not good at it.)

Quick aside- I arrived to the test at 830 and was told my license expired and I had to call my Dad to drop off a passport. MAKE SURE YOUR LICENSE DIDN'T EXPIRE. I had no idea it expired. He got there before 9 am, but man was I pissed.

Scores:
21 AA
21 TS
22 OC
21 Bio
20 GC
20 RC
20 QR
18 PAT- whatever screw the PAT. If people want the proof I can upload it, but I left it downstairs and I'm too lazy to get it. Plus, I'm not getting that 25 AA so I'm sure not a lot of people will look at this.

Studied 5 weeks. Took it june 12. First 2 weeks I just learned the material, and the third/fourth week did Exams 6-10 on BC after reviewing the section a certain day. Last week, I did the full lengths at 9 am making sure to rest one day between each exam. Taking full lengths earlier is way better IMO, as you can review it, and you can take a nice rest from when you take it and start studying again.

Resources utilized included: Bootcamp, AP cliff notes, Feralis notes, Chad's videos, random youtube videos and google searches, as well as ADEA 2009 Exam (has so many errors). But, Lo and behold, no DAT destroyer. This was partially because I bought my resources for studying all within 1 week so the money just seemed to pile up and I didn't get destroyer. However, now knowing the resale values of the Destroyer, I would have gotten it, and I learned that the resale values are so good after like the 4th week and there was no point of getting it then. I mainly am making this to show that YES, YOU CAN GET A GOOD SCORE WITHOUT DESTROYER (something I was wondering and would look up on SDN to see if people study for DAT without destroyer, and found that basically everyone uses it). I'm sure this is applicable to people within a certain budget, and not ones that don't care and can get any resource. Not saying don't get it, because I'm sure it's a great resource, but I think if you supplement chad's videos with Bootcamp/ other resources online you should be set for a 20. I would say that Bootcamp, Feralis, Chad's videos are ALL MUSTS.

-In before the "Ohh if you used destroyer you would have gotten a higher score". I'm happy with my scores, though.

Chad's videos (10/10) is good but doesn't cover everything. He doesn't cover all the solubility rules. He didn't go over Amine chemistry in his Ochem videos (as far as I can remember). These are things I found on Bootcamp exams 6-10 that I realized chad doesn't go over, and googled them myself. Still a must of course!!!

Bootcamp (10/10)- Basically amazing. Generators are great. The PAT exams here were way harder than the actual DAT. I was hoping for a 17 on the DAT, but am glad I got an 18. Mike has great video explanations for answers. Another must.

Cliffnotes/Feralis- All you need for Biology in my opinion. I probably would have used Ty Jacob's notes- but they're 360 pages so I would have needed at least 3 months of studying, not 5 weeks.

DAT BREAKDOWN/COMPARISONS:

Biology- A lot of embryonic development, anatomy. I would study that A LOT. When I studied taxonomy, I went to the phylum level only for animals/plants, and nothing else. Didn't even have a single plant/taxonomy question (of course you might). The plants chapter for AP cliff/Feralis I basically reviewed the sex organs (A great way to remember it is plants are a piece of sh: POSS (piece of SH**- or Pistil, Ovary, Stigma, Style). FAS for (filament, anther, stamen). FAS reminded me of FasL ligand so that's why I used that. Also, I felt one of the questions was straight up from 2009 exam.

GC- Easier than BC. Less calculations, more conceptual. Slightly irked I didn't get a 21-22 but am happy with a 20.

OC- Same thing as GC. Much more conceptual. I would say know what happens when you have organic compounds with multiple groups in different conditions. For example, what would happen if you had a COOH, and an amine group in a pH of whatever/pOH of whatever etc. I think I had like 3 reactions and one was a reduction of a ketone, basically simple stuff.

PAT- Much Much easier than bootcamp (probably why I scored 18, would average 15-17 on BC scoring 18 once). Literally every section was easier (except pattern folding which was about as difficult). I had a huge grin as I went through the PAT section, because I was ecstatic that it was easier than BC. (And dead honest, I felt some of the TFE was from Bootcamp). There was one with a square and like a pyramid coming from the top and it reminded of a Bootcamp question with almost an identical image.

RC- Search and destroy worked. Had 2 dense, 1 easy article.

QR- Guessed on 3 because time. Had one geometry question (asking about SA:V ratios in a cylinder), many comparative questions (BUT THESE WERE SOOOOOO EASY compared to BC). You have to be careful about negative numbers being squared. That was the "trick" in like 3 of the questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations. Very solid scores.
Thank you for the tips, very helpful.
What do you think of RC compared to BC?

Congratulations. Very solid scores.
Thank you for the tips, very helpful.
What do you think of RC compared to BC?
Wayyy easier. I would be stressed and exhausted taking the BC rc because he asks you about questions all over the place. The DAT RC did that a few times, but it was mostly in order.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wayyy easier. I would be stressed and exhausted taking the BC rc because he asks you about questions all over the place. The DAT RC did that a few times, but it was mostly in order.
Thanks, that is reassuring :)

for bio I am consistently scoring a 18 and I feel like I have studied every detail that I could. I have been using bootcamp and qvault and I am starting to not feel confident

for bio I am consistently scoring a 18 and I feel like I have studied every detail that I could. I have been using bootcamp and qvault and I am starting to not feel confident
what topics are you missing?
I would watch videos for the time being on ap biology, just watch them for 2 to 3days just to get more outside info.

Bc bio has a lot of specific questions and is harder than real biology. I scored around 18 to 19 and a 20 on exam number 5 of bio.

Congratulations and good work on the very consistent scores!

What have you been studying every detail from?

Last edited:
Thanks for the piece of shi* tips lol

(A great way to remember it is plants are a piece of sh: POSS (piece of SH**- or Pistil, Ovary, Stigma, Style). FAS for (filament, anther, stamen). FAS reminded me of FasL ligand so that's why I used that. Also, I felt one of the questions was straight up from 2009 exam.

QUOTE]

what do you think the best math material is for math?
Aris equation sheet and then doing bc questions to see where you're weak. My weakness was probabilities and looked up how to do computations and permutations on YouTube. Aris equation sheet is basically all you need.

I am a Biology BS and to be honest that helped a lot in the studying process. I had recently taken Anatomy, Genetics, and Evolution, and Immunology the semesters before studying and genetics/evolution/anatomy/immunology let me breeze past those 2 of feralis/AP CLIFF chapters in the studying process.

My gpa is a 3.49 s, 3.42 overall. My first semester of college gpa was a 2.1 science 2.4 overall (didn't even party hard, just didn't study at all and played FIFA- unfortunately still not good at it.)

Quick aside- I arrived to the test at 830 and was told my license expired and I had to call my Dad to drop off a passport. MAKE SURE YOUR LICENSE DIDN'T EXPIRE. I had no idea it expired. He got there before 9 am, but man was I pissed.

Scores:
21 AA
21 TS
22 OC
21 Bio
20 GC
20 RC
20 QR
18 PAT- whatever screw the PAT. If people want the proof I can upload it, but I left it downstairs and I'm too lazy to get it. Plus, I'm not getting that 25 AA so I'm sure not a lot of people will look at this.

Studied 5 weeks. First 2 weeks I just learned the material, and the third/fourth week did Exams 6-10 on BC after reviewing the section a certain day. Last week, I did the full lengths at 9 am making sure to rest one day between each exam. Taking full lengths earlier is way better IMO, as you can review it, and you can take a nice rest from when you take it and start studying again.

Resources utilized included: Bootcamp, AP cliff notes, Feralis notes, Chad's videos, random youtube videos and google searches, as well as ADEA 2009 Exam (has so many errors). But, Lo and behold, no DAT destroyer. This was partially because I bought my resources for studying all within 1 week so the money just seemed to pile up and I didn't get destroyer. However, now knowing the resale values of the Destroyer, I would have gotten it, and I learned that the resale values are so good after like the 4th week and there was no point of getting it then. I mainly am making this to show that YES, YOU CAN GET A GOOD SCORE WITHOUT DESTROYER (something I was wondering and would look up on SDN to see if people study for DAT without destroyer, and found that basically everyone uses it). I'm sure this is applicable to people within a certain budget, and not ones that don't care and can get any resource. Not saying don't get it, because I'm sure it's a great resource, but I think if you supplement chad's videos with Bootcamp/ other resources online you should be set for a 20. I would say that Bootcamp, Feralis, Chad's videos are ALL MUSTS.

-In before the "Ohh if you used destroyer you would have gotten a higher score". I'm happy with my scores, though.

Chad's videos (10/10) is good but doesn't cover everything. He doesn't cover all the solubility rules. He didn't go over Amine chemistry in his Ochem videos (as far as I can remember). These are things I found on Bootcamp exams 6-10 that I realized chad doesn't go over, and googled them myself. Still a must of course!!!

Bootcamp (10/10)- Basically amazing. Generators are great. The PAT exams here were way harder than the actual DAT. I was hoping for a 17 on the DAT, but am glad I got an 18. Mike has great video explanations for answers. Another must.

Cliffnotes/Feralis- All you need for Biology in my opinion. I probably would have used Ty Jacob's notes- but they're 360 pages so I would have needed at least 3 months of studying, not 5 weeks.

DAT BREAKDOWN/COMPARISONS:

Biology- A lot of embryonic development, anatomy. I would study that A LOT. When I studied taxonomy, I went to the phylum level only for animals/plants, and nothing else. Didn't even have a single plant/taxonomy question (of course you might). The plants chapter for AP cliff/Feralis I basically reviewed the sex organs (A great way to remember it is plants are a piece of sh: POSS (piece of SH**- or Pistil, Ovary, Stigma, Style). FAS for (filament, anther, stamen). FAS reminded me of FasL ligand so that's why I used that. Also, I felt one of the questions was straight up from 2009 exam.

GC- Easier than BC. Less calculations, more conceptual. Slightly irked I didn't get a 21-22 but am happy with a 20.

OC- Same thing as GC. Much more conceptual. I would say know what happens when you have organic compounds with multiple groups in different conditions. For example, what would happen if you had a COOH, and an amine group in a pH of whatever/pOH of whatever etc. I think I had like 3 reactions and one was a reduction of a ketone, basically simple stuff.

PAT- Much Much easier than bootcamp (probably why I scored 18, would average 15-17 on BC scoring 18 once). Literally every section was easier (except pattern folding which was about as difficult). I had a huge grin as I went through the PAT section, because I was ecstatic that it was easier than BC. (And dead honest, I felt some of the TFE was from Bootcamp). There was one with a square and like a pyramid coming from the top and it reminded of a Bootcamp question with almost an identical image.

RC- Search and destroy worked. Had 2 dense, 1 easy article.

QR- Guessed on 3 because time. Had one geometry question (asking about SA:V ratios in a cylinder), many comparative questions (BUT THESE WERE SOOOOOO EASY compared to BC). You have to be careful about negative numbers being squared. That was the "trick" in like 3 of the questions.

How were your BC scores compared to the DAT? Did you fell BC or DAT was easier?

How were your BC scores compared to the DAT? Did you fell BC or DAT was easier?
I don't remember my BC scores very well, but I do know trends I saw were: averaged 19 on bio, averaged 19 on oc, and around 20 on gc. Funnily, my Bio and OC were my best scores come DAT. I think you should take your BC scores and do a plus/minus of 2 and that should be what you will get on dat. if you got a 20 BC average on GC then you can expect 18-22; that's just my opinion though.

DAT was easier than BC. But it depends what you prefer, DAT has more conceputals than calculations for the chems. Bios the same as BC.

Congrats! Did you take the 2007/2009 practice tests? If so, how did they compare?
Yeah I took the 2009 test. I took the real DAT June 12 so it's been a while. I only did the sciences for 2009 and thought it was similar I got a 20 TS i think.

Reactions: 1 user