DAT PAT: TFE SOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Em-aslan

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I knew not to use the line counting strategy for TFE so I never even attempted to learn how to use it. But, I guess when I was practicing using the generators I picked up on how the horizontal lines of the front and end views need to match up and that the vertical lines of the front and top views need to match up without really knowing that I was basically using the line counting method without knowing I was and the method worked really well on the bootcamp generators (I felt so smart lol).
I've now been using this method for over a month and I did a PAT practice test a few days ago.... biggest slap in the face. My method/line counting doesn't work on the practice tests! I've tried to stop myself from matching up the lines on the TFE generator but the generator questions are too easy because its so obvious just by looking at the answer choices what the answer is. Almost all the pat practice questions on bootcamp force you to choose whether a line is going to be solid or dashed (so you have to know what the structure looks like to do this), the generator doesn't do this.
So any tips on how to get better at TFE would be great! I've tried imaging the structure in my head and i've had zero luck with that. I've tried drawing them out but I can only draw it out if Im given the front and top views.
I scored a 7/15 on my first pat test by guessing alone. My AA was a 19. On my second pat test, I actually tried for TFE and got 4/15 (lol) and my AA was 19. I did better in all the other sections my second time but TFE is really bringing me down and my dat is in 2 weeks, so I really need help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Experience: 25 AA 26 PAT

I feel that using the line counting strategy is helpful, but you must also be able to visualize if the line is solid (exterior of the object) or dotted (interior of the object). Generally, from this alone I could eliminate 1-2 of the 4 answer choices on any TFE practice test I took (Bootcamp, CracktheDAT). That is, some answer choices will have a solid line in one position while the others have a dotted line in that position -> cross out the answer choices that don't apply. The spacing of the lines also matters -> do take note that some will be wider apart than they should be.

Also, looking at the object width/lengths can be helpful in eliminating similar answer choices -- you'll find that some answers are wider or narrower than they should be.

When it comes to PAT, my experience is that the PAT practice tests on Bootcamp are far more representative of the actual exam than the generator, in that more shapes are tested and that it is harder to an extent. I found the Bootcamp practice tests to be more effective in studying for the TFE.

I wish you best of luck! :)Always remember that it's better to take the DAT when you're ready -- rescheduling doesn't hurt but a bad score just might. :uhno:

i would recommend DAT bootcamp's TFE generator. it helped immensely. Its really a practice thing, it takes time as you can tell! i used both dat bootcamp and crackdat pat so i had 20 pat exams to practice on. I got a 21 average on bootcamp (much harder) and a 23 average on crack. i would get as many pat exams as you can if you still feel pat is a weakness.

I avoided line counting at all costs and really tried to visualize the image in my head and make sense of the solid and dashed lines. you can start buy using the TFE generator. PAT sucks sometimes but there is nothing to memorize, its just practice! as you work on it each day consistently, youll see yourself getting better and and better! good luck