This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawg10

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental schools this June.

My DAT score was a 17. My GPA is 3.72
I have a minor in Spanish.
I am a student-athlete.

What are my chances of getting into schools with these statistics.
I was a collegiate basketball player for all four years of college.
I have over 150 hours of shadowing and observation.
I have done many different types of community service over the past 4 years.
I also worked in a dental clinic that allowed me to interact with Spanish speaking patients.
I have also done research in the Michigan Dental School research lab for periodontics.

What are my chances of being recognized by a dental school, getting an interview.

Also, I am planning on retaking the DAT in June. Do dental schools take the highest DAT or the most recent. I do not want to retake it and do worse than a 17 and really hurt my chances of possibly getting in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I think some of this could depend on the tier of your ugrad school. If you were playing D1 basketball vs community college basketball.

Your GPA is good, what is you sGPA?

Also, what was the break down on your DAT? Where were your weak points?

Some schools will look at your highest score, some will average them, some use magic with them to tell your fortune. I'd probably not retake in June unless you are getting 20+ on practice tests currently (like today). I'd suggest waiting a little bit longer and getting a better grasp of the material.

So I think some of this could depend on the tier of your ugrad school. If you were playing D1 basketball vs community college basketball.

Your GPA is good, what is you sGPA?

Also, what was the break down on your DAT? Where were your weak points?

Some schools will look at your highest score, some will average them, some use magic with them to tell your fortune. I'd probably not retake in June unless you are getting 20+ on practice tests currently (like today). I'd suggest waiting a little bit longer and getting a better grasp of the material.

I am a Div 2 athlete.

My science GPA is 3.55

Breakdown of DAT was All sciences I had a 17. PAT 21. RC 20 and QR was 17

So I'd say that it would be worth you applying next month.

I'll echo what I just said about the DAT. What materials did you used to prepare for the GC/OC/Bio/QR?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake!
no don't take it in June, don't ruin your chances once more!
Take it when you are ready,

So I'd say that it would be worth you applying next month.

I'll echo what I just said about the DAT. What materials did you used to prepare for the GC/OC/Bio/QR?

I just used the Kaplan class as my preparation when I took it last summer. Currently I am reviewing the sections I did well in and restesting. Getting 18 repetitively.

I just used the Kaplan class as my preparation when I took it last summer. Currently I am reviewing the sections I did well in and restesting. Getting 18 repetitively.

Don't you read the breakdown in this forum, don't you notice nobody mention kaplan that much
I can say it's not advertising, but even advertising can't get that much money to pay for breakdowns of other students vouching for other resources.

Skip the kaplan and follow a breakdown of someone who took 24 or 25 so you can learn from him or her and enhance your score.

Kaplan might work for others, but it didn't work for you. It's time to change your methods and resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
x2 there are a million of these out there. piece together the common best materials used where others found success (you will catch the trend quickly) and use those.

So don't take it June 28th? Just apply and see what happens and if I don't get in then retake it to re apply the following year?

I would absolutely retake the DAT first. Just applying and seeing what happens isn't likely to go well with a 17.

What if I go down. How bad does that hurt me? Will schools take my higher score? I would really like to get into either IU Dental School Or West Virginia Dental School. Those are my top 2 schools. Opinions?

What if I go down. How bad does that hurt me? Will schools take my higher score? I would really like to get into either IU Dental School Or West Virginia Dental School. Those are my top 2 schools. Opinions?

Going down from a 17 should absolutely not happen if you take preparing for it seriously and use good materials. The DAT is not a difficult exam and preparing for it thoroughly will get you a solid score. Most schools will take the highest score. I can't say how much retaking and going down would hurt you but it definitely wouldn't do you any favors and would probably tell adcoms that you weren't serious about retaking the DAT more than anything else.

Reactions: 1 user
The average matriculant has a 19-21 overall DAT score, so you are hurting your chances, especially since the minimum that most schools allow are 16/17s.

You should strongly consider retaking the exam and more adequately preparing for it. Were any of your individual scores below 17?

Members don't see this ad :)
Going down from a 17 should absolutely not happen if you take preparing for it seriously and use good materials. The DAT is not a difficult exam and preparing for it thoroughly will get you a solid score. Most schools will take the highest score. I can't say how much retaking and going down would hurt you but it definitely wouldn't do you any favors and would probably tell adcoms that you weren't serious about retaking the DAT more than anything else.

I have been preparing for it and right now I am still scoring between 17 and 18 when I take practice tests. My scores are staying around the same however for one test the science might be high and the PAT low and then when I take the next practice test it is vis versa.

I have been preparing for it and right now I am still scoring between 17 and 18 when I take practice tests. My scores are staying around the same however for one test the science might be high and the PAT low and then when I take the next practice test it is vis versa.

How have you been preparing for the DAT? What resources are you using? What's your typical day to day study schedule like?

How have you been preparing for the DAT? What resources are you using? What's your typical day to day study schedule like?

I am currently signed up to take the DAT once again on June 28th. So as of now I have just over 5 weeks to prepare again.
I am using Bootcamp and Kaplan. So far I have done a quick review of the PAT and RC because I scored the best on those the first time with a 21 and 20, respectively. When taking practice tests for both of those I am getting around a 19 every time for each.

Currently I am reviewing the QR section by reviewing strategies and doing a lot of practice questions and practice tests for just that part. I plan to finish QR review by the end of this week and then turn my total focus towards the sciences for the remainder of the time and take a lot of full length practice tests.

I typically take one full length every week. After taking it I review the entire test to see what I did wrong and quickly skim and review the ones I got right.

Daily, I usually review strategies that I feel I need to work on and then take sample tests based on that specific section. I time myself like I would be on the actual exam. I also review the ones I got right and wrong after every sample test.

I know OSU takes the most recent DAT score. I would call schools you're applying to but I am sure you will improve if you study with the right resources.

I am currently signed up to take the DAT once again on June 28th. So as of now I have just over 5 weeks to prepare again.
I am using Bootcamp and Kaplan. So far I have done a quick review of the PAT and RC because I scored the best on those the first time with a 21 and 20, respectively. When taking practice tests for both of those I am getting around a 19 every time for each.

Currently I am reviewing the QR section by reviewing strategies and doing a lot of practice questions and practice tests for just that part. I plan to finish QR review by the end of this week and then turn my total focus towards the sciences for the remainder of the time and take a lot of full length practice tests.

I typically take one full length every week. After taking it I review the entire test to see what I did wrong and quickly skim and review the ones I got right.

Daily, I usually review strategies that I feel I need to work on and then take sample tests based on that specific section. I time myself like I would be on the actual exam. I also review the ones I got right and wrong after every sample test.
Trash Kaplan. You aren't doing your self any favors using it. Add in DAT destroyer and coursesaver. You can get prepared in 5 weeks, but rather than taking practice tests, it looks like you need to build your foundation of knowledge rather than test taking skills.

Read through this guide, https://s3.amazonaws.com/datbootcamp/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf. It is 10 weeks, make some adjustments but follow that for the most part.

Like I said, you need help with your foundation, science in particular. Practice tests are important, but they are just good for a measure of your knowledge. If you've taken 2-3 exams and aren't getting scores that you would be happy to apply with, go back to the basics. Re learn bio, gen chem, o chem, and math. Then retry your hand on some new practice exams and see how much you improved.

Reactions: 1 users
I am applying to dental schools this June.

My DAT score was a 17. My GPA is 3.72
I have a minor in Spanish.
I am a student-athlete.

What are my chances of getting into schools with these statistics.
I was a collegiate basketball player for all four years of college.
I have over 150 hours of shadowing and observation.
I have done many different types of community service over the past 4 years.
I also worked in a dental clinic that allowed me to interact with Spanish speaking patients.
I have also done research in the Michigan Dental School research lab for periodontics.

What are my chances of being recognized by a dental school, getting an interview.

Also, I am planning on retaking the DAT in June. Do dental schools take the highest DAT or the most recent. I do not want to retake it and do worse than a 17 and really hurt my chances of possibly getting in.

Thanks!
Hello,

I think its smart that you are opting to retake. If i were you, id relax and try and not rush the dat. If you want, you can move test date up to 4 weeks later and still comfortably apply imo

Trash Kaplan. You aren't doing your self any favors using it. Add in DAT destroyer and coursesaver. You can get prepared in 5 weeks, but rather than taking practice tests, it looks like you need to build your foundation of knowledge rather than test taking skills.

Read through this guide, https://s3.amazonaws.com/datbootcamp/Ari'sStudySchedule.pdf. It is 10 weeks, make some adjustments but follow that for the most part.

Like I said, you need help with your foundation, science in particular. Practice tests are important, but they are just good for a measure of your knowledge. If you've taken 2-3 exams and aren't getting scores that you would be happy to apply with, go back to the basics. Re learn bio, gen chem, o chem, and math. Then retry your hand on some new practice exams and see how much you improved.

I am preparing to apply to dental school as well as stated above, definitely stop using kaplan if you haven't already, keep using DATBootcamp and purchase DAT Destroyer's Math and Science package, as well as chad's Videos if you can. Start with Chad's videos though. Since you have taken the DAT before you have an idea of what to expect, don't be afraid to retake if this is what you really want but you have to put in the work. You have to get the fundamentals down, purchase those materials asap, download Ari's study guide schedule and get started !! That is what I am currently working on. Also, do not force yourself to take the DAT in JUNE. You don't have a lot of time if you are trying to get into a dental school for the 2018-2019 academic year BUT YOU HAVE TIME.
The dental application cycle opens on June 1st, 2017. I am not taking my DAT Until the end of July but up until that point I will continue prepping and on June 1st I am going to begin completing my Dental school application. You should do the same.

Get with professors that could write you STRONG letters of recommendation and collect all the information you will need for the dental application (all of it can be found through the ADEA website). As long as you have everything you need, taking the DAT in July and submitting them then is an option and a good one to allow you time to continue prepping.

Goodluck! Remember Be confident in yourself! Make sure your personal statement is a TRUE reflection of you and that it is well written.

I am preparing to apply to dental school as well as stated above, definitely stop using kaplan if you haven't already, keep using DATBootcamp and purchase DAT Destroyer's Math and Science package, as well as chad's Videos if you can. Start with Chad's videos though. Since you have taken the DAT before you have an idea of what to expect, don't be afraid to retake if this is what you really want but you have to put in the work. You have to get the fundamentals down, purchase those materials asap, download Ari's study guide schedule and get started !! That is what I am currently working on. Also, do not force yourself to take the DAT in JUNE. You don't have a lot of time if you are trying to get into a dental school for the 2018-2019 academic year BUT YOU HAVE TIME.
The dental application cycle opens on June 1st, 2017. I am not taking my DAT Until the end of July but up until that point I will continue prepping and on June 1st I am going to begin completing my Dental school application. You should do the same.

Get with professors that could write you STRONG letters of recommendation and collect all the information you will need for the dental application (all of it can be found through the ADEA website). As long as you have everything you need, taking the DAT in July and submitting them then is an option and a good one to allow you time to continue prepping.

Goodluck! Remember Be confident in yourself! Make sure your personal statement is a TRUE reflection of you and that it is well written.
So retaking the DAT at the end of July and applying then wouldn't hurt my chances too much? I just did not want to apply too late and really screw myself over.

I gotta agree with the folks above. Trash Kaplan.

I would suggest you getting bootcamp or crackthedat for the PAT (mixed opinions of both), and spending a good amount of time learning the concepts for Biol, chem, orgo while doing DATdestroyer problems. Reading Comp is gonna be a toss-up, just keep reading and practicing passages for this.

I gotta agree with the folds above. Trash Kaplan.

I would suggest you getting bootcamp or crackthedat for the PAT (mixed opinions of both), and spending a good amount of time learning the concepts for Biol, chem, orgo while doing DATdestroyer problems. Reading Comp is gonna be a toss-up, just keep reading and practicing passages for this.

Could you send me a url to get the DAT destroyer books?