This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental_Dude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I took the DAT 6-16-16. I submitted my application right after I took the DAT. My GPA just got verified today and I am still waiting for my DAT scores to show up. My APP should be sent out to my school within the next 2 weeks. What are my chances? Here is a list of the schools that I applied to and my scores.

List of Schools Applied to:

1) Creighton University School of Dentistry
2) Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine
3) Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona
4) Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
5) The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University Mailed
6) Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
7) University of Louisville School of Dentistry
8) University of New England College of Dental Medicine
9) University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine

DAT Scores:

PA 21
QR 14
RC 21
Bio 20
GC 18
OC 17
TS 18
AA 18

Academics/ Other:

-Major: Biology Pre-Dental

-Minor: Chemistry

-Science GPA 3.88

-Overall GPA 3.87

-Shadowing 60 hrs

-Intern 160 hrs

-A letter of rec. from a Dentist (plus others from school)

-I have conducted 2 major research experiments and I presented one at CPUB (The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania University Biologists).

-I have taken Biochem and obtained an A

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately a 14 QR will definitely be below cutoffs for some of your schools...but the good news is that many schools don't care about QR. I would call all your schools on your list and confirm.

Reactions: 1 user
That 14 in QR is very damaging even with your excellent GPA and other credentials. It falls below the cutoff of most schools. I would definitely call some schools on your list and ask. Anything is possible, but from my experience students with a score below 15 have a hard time getting interviews.

What happened in the QR section? Also with your GPA I would have predicted you would have scored higher in the science sections. How long did you prepare? Did you get overly anxious on test day?

Just my 2 cents and honest assessment..

Nancy

Reactions: 2 users
That 14 in QR is very damaging even with your excellent GPA and other credentials. It falls below the cutoff of most schools. I would definitely call some schools on your list and ask. Anything is possible, but from my experience students with a score below 15 have a hard time getting interviews.

What happened in the QR section? Also with your GPA I would have predicted you would have scored higher in the science sections. How long did you prepare? Did you get overly anxious on test day?

Just my 2 cents and honest assessment..

Nancy
I ran out of time plan and simple. I was trying to work through all of the problems and next thing I knew I had 5 mins and I was only half way.... soooo I just hurried through picking C on all of the questions. I know this is terrible but I felt defeated and I was mentally exhausted by this point. As for the sciences, I studied for about a month but!! in this month I moved to a different state and got married the 6-20-16. There was just a lot going on and I figured I shouldn't wait on taking the DAT so that I could apply earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately a 14 QR will definitely be below cutoffs for some of your schools...but the good news is that many schools don't care about QR. I would call all your schools on your list and confirm.
I searched for cut offs for QR and didn't find any. Also, I called a few schools that didn't say on their website about cut offs and they ether said they had none or they told me cut offs pretty much for all the other sections except QR.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called Nova FL and they told me their minimum is 20's in ST and AA, but I emailed them in April and they told 18's in AA and TS. What should I go off of?

Dental_Dude to be honest with that QR you may want consider retaking it! I got 15 with total science 21 and AA 19 I did not make it last year and I'm retaking my exam now

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Retake it. You have amazing grades but the DAT is not representative of them. You want at least a 20 AA and TS to show dental schools it's not because of grade inflation.

I applied to 16 schools last year even though my scores were great but I had 2 15 and I did not get in!!! To be honest most schools looking for 20 and over so I would highly recommend retake just don't waste your time! It is still early in the game that u can easily retake and still make it for this cycle

I applied to 16 schools last year even though my scores were great but I had 2 15 and I did not get in!!! To be honest most schools looking for 20 and over so I would highly recommend retake just don't waste your time! It is still early in the game that u can easily retake and still make it for this cycle

If you don't mined what else did you get a 15 in? and thanks for the advice.

Retake it. You have amazing grades but the DAT is not representative of them. You want at least a 20 AA and TS to show dental schools it's not because of grade inflation.
I hear you but I don't want to apply that late... I took it June 16th I have to wait 3 months to retake and on top of that it is another 500 bucks :-(. As of right now all I have to do is pay for the supplements for the school I listed earlier... I want to do better but at this point I feel as though I should just take the chance applying early than applying at the end of the cycle.

I hear you but I don't want to apply that late... I took it June 16th I have to wait 3 months to retake and on top of that it is another 500 bucks :-(. As of right now all I have to do is pay for the supplements for the school I listed earlier... I want to do better but at this point I feel as though I should just take the chance applying early than applying at the end of the cycle.
I mean you can still apply and then just tell them you're retaking. Would you rather pay 430 and study and eventually get in this cycle? Or not pay and not get in then have to pay 430 anyways to take it for next cycle and then pay for all the schools you're going to have to apply to again? Come on man be smart. Don't take the easy road if you truly want this.

Members don't see this ad :)
My scores
26 bio
22 gen Chem
19 Orgo
18 pat
15 on English and math!! English is my second language but still
They don't care
21 total science and 19 AA

I know it's not what you want to hear but I'll just add to the other voices...I would retake if those were my scores. You will probably save money in the long run if you retake and apply late (as long as you do better on the next attempt).

Dental_Dude definitely retake it! Your chances are extremely slim with that QR! I took the DAT twice and saw tremendous improvements my second time around. Its worth it

I know of someone who got in with a 12 on the QR so who knows. Mind you, they got a 20/21 on the TS

if you retake the dat and do well youll have a great shot at a state school. If you use your scores currently you'll most likely get into an expensive private (thats even if you can get in with that low of a dat score). The state school will save you thousands if not hundreds of thousands, so if your worrying about saving money retaking your dat is your best option

Hi, I see that you've gotten into a dental school with a 15 QR. I have almost the same stats as you and I was just wondering if you ever took your test agin?

Hi, I see that you've gotten into a dental school with a 15 QR. I have almost the same stats as you and I was just wondering if you ever took your test agin?

He hasn't gotten in. He has received interviews, though.

I am still in the interview process. I have been to 2 interviews and I have one coming up on the 6th, but no I did not retake the DAT. I decided to apply early and hope for the best! I applied to 11 schools and I heard from 5 so far and the other 6 just told me that my application is complete. Midwest-AZ placed me on the wait list for an interview and Nova rejected me. Case Western, New England, and LECOM invited me to an interview. All of them went GREAT so I am hopeful!!

I am still in the interview process. I have been to 2 interviews and I have one coming up on the 6th, but no I did not retake the DAT. I decided to apply early and hope for the best! I applied to 11 schools and I heard from 5 so far and the other 6 just told me that my application is complete. Midwest-AZ placed me on the wait list for an interview and Nova rejected me. Case Western, New England, and LECOM invited me to an interview. All of them went GREAT so I am hopeful!!
Thanks for the update! Wishing you the best..

Awesome, Ana and I are in the same class and BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!

Hi I know this is an old thread. But I was wondering out of the 11 schools you apply to which ones you interviewed at? Thank you! Also, how many of those did you get excepted to?