DAT strategy for non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanv

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a career changer, from engineer to dentist and taking courses at CC to finish my prerequisites. I already took Physics I & II, and Gen Chem I. I'm taking Chem II now. I still need to take Bio, Org Chem. and upper-div courses.

Is it wise to start studying for the DAT now, especially on sections that do not require Bio knowledge: PAT, QR, RC? How should I plan my study? I had a BS in engineering 2 years ago. I plan to apply next year 2018.

Thanks for all advices. If you were on the same boat, what was your strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Your main focus should be getting As in each of these courses. By doing that you will retain information better and be able to recall it later when you are studying for your DAT. If you have the time then it doesn't hurt to get acquainted with each section. For me as a former programmer, I focused mostly on my courses and then went on to study all portions of the DAT after finishing Ochem II.

PAT can be treated like a puzzle/game, so feel free to do that on your spare time...

And no need to pre-study for RC. If you like reading, you'll do good.