DAT takers: time vs content

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yannasummer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I was just wondering for those who have already taken the DAT, is the hardest part about the exam the content of the test, or moreso the time management aspect?

For example, if you had more time on the exam would the test have been easier for you?
I'm just wondering if I should try to work more on my time management for the test because I've just been focusing on learning the material.

Members don't see this ad.

Time didn’t ever really feel like a factor. You either know it or you don’t.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd say focus on both because you don't want to spend too long on a section and run out of time for the other sections. It's especially important in the SNS and the PAT portions because the time isn't split up like how it is on the individual BC section tests- it's continuous. 90min for 100 science questions, and 60min for 90 PAT questions. Practice with the full-lengths a little so you can get your timing down, but I agree with above- either you know it or you don't, and it's completely possible to score really well with the time that's already given.

** Tip: Read the instructions beforehand (through practice tests) so you don't waste time on the instructions screen before every section (there a slide that shows up before each PAT section giving you an example of the section-- skip! Don't read! It eats at your time!)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends to be honest on each section. At first you will be running out of time, and that's why you need to do multiple exams to get your time figured out.
On my exam day, I ran out of time and was guessing on the PAT and QR sections. So yes, you do need to work on time management on some sections.
Here's my breakdown that goes more into detail -> DAT BREAKDOWN 22AA/22TS

Reactions: 1 user
For me, content was more of an issue. For the science section, I almost had enough time to go through all the questions twice to double check everything. QR was mainly content but time factored into it a little when I was double checking the couple questions I was unsure of. PAT was definitely time but I had time to go through all 90 questions and check the ones I was unsure of.

If you know the content, then time shouldn't be much of an issue except for RC and maybe PAT. After taking a couple practice tests you'll learn how to pace yourself.

I actually had enough time after the Science portion to take an unscheduled bathroom break and come back to review my entire Science block another ~1-2x.

Like others have said, either you know it or you don't.

I took the DAT twice, and the first time I had a major problem with time. I’d definitely take a few full length practice so you get the feel of how long you can spend on each question. The second time my AA went up 5 points because I actually knew how to manage my time

I took the DAT twice, and the first time I had a major problem with time. I’d definitely take a few full length practice so you get the feel of how long you can spend on each question. The second time my AA went up 5 points because I actually knew how to manage my time
Hey do you mind telling me why you did differently your second time? I’m retaking mine and would love any advice on how to improve!

a wide variety of content and random things to remember. i only had issues with time on QR