Dating in Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Alternative lifestyles"? Really?!?

Aw, give the old man from Texas a break! He can't help it if the only non-heterosexuals he sees are on TV, right? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Aw, give the old man from Texas a break! He can't help it if the only non-heterosexuals he sees are on TV, right? :laugh:

Hey, I may be old, but I value diversity. I just said there are more now then when I was in school back in the 70's and 80's. Now everyone is out of the closet, especially in graduate school where we have faculty and students who endorse specific sexual orientations and dedicate their whole career to research or clinical practice devoted to GLBT population.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I may be old, but I value diversity. I just said there are more now then when I was in school back in the 70's and 80's. Now everyone is out of the closet, especially in graduate school where we have faculty and students who endorse specific sexual orientations and dedicate their whole career to research or clinical practice devoted to GLBT population.

"Old" is fine. It's the rhetoric. You're digging a hole for yourself. Imagine someone talking about "endorsing Blackness."

"Alternative lifestyle" is a gaff, especially the latter half, which is associated with some especially ill-informed homophobic discourses.

This reminds me of the . . . "I value diversity and I'm not prejudice; I have a friend who [fill in the blank] . . . " argument. :cool:

+2

It's also delusional to think that everyone is out.

"Old" is fine. It's the rhetoric. You're digging a hole for yourself. Imagine someone talking about "endorsing Blackness."

"Alternative lifestyle" is a gaff, especially the latter half, which is associated with some especially ill-informed homophobic discourses.

You believe? Based on what?

This is senstive topic for would-be and current grad students and this is def not the time for you to throw out all your anecdotes about this guy that you knew that one time and/or other speculations you might have about divorce rates. If you know of some professional survey that demonstrates that stat for psychologists (its obvioulsy not the norm in the gen pop), then cite it. If not, keep your mouth shut about it.

Damn, thank you for posting this. I'll be starting this year, and seeing someone talk about how the norm for psychologists for is 2-3 marriages had me fearing for my current relationship. I mean, okay, I should have taken the fact that it was 4410 posting into account, but it was still a moment of serious concern.

Damn, thank you for posting this. I'll be starting this year, and seeing someone talk about how the norm for psychologists for is 2-3 marriages had me fearing for my current relationship. I mean, okay, I should have taken the fact that it was 4410 posting into account, but it was still a moment of serious concern.

Well, I am not sure about marriage rates, but I have a hunch that when two psychologists have kids, their rates of being screwed up might be slightly above average :cool:

I know several folks who dated or married within the profession. That would drive me nuts! I love coming home and hearing about my wife's work (totally different industry) and she likes to hear about mine. Makes things more fun and interesting!

Agreed. :laugh:

In general, over 50% of marriages are terminated at some point and people re-marry others. I did not specify psychologists anywhere in my posts. Divorce is not necessarily a bad thing but normally a growth process during life transitions.

In general, over 50% of marriages are terminated at some point and people re-marry others. I did not specify psychologists anywhere in my posts. Divorce is not necessarily a bad thing but normally a growth process during life transitions.

Ready. Set. Terrible.
First, I hope you stay more up to date on your psych lit than you do your divorce lit. Get out of the 90s, pal. We are back below 50% now. Quite a bit below actually and we have for some time now. A simple Google search would have done it (you didn't even have to read that blasted peer-reviewed nonsense for this one), but as usual, your laziness has resulted in more inaccurate info for would-be graduate students. Congratulations.

Second, you said:
I believe the norm is two or three marriages for most of us.

Which is just plain dumb...
and not at all the same as saying a 50% divorce rate.

You are a terrible, terrible poster. I hope your internet crashes...

Divorce is not necessarily a bad thing but normally a growth process during life transitions.

Thats called "Breaking-up" with a boyfriend/girlfriend. If thats your attitude towards marriage, then I feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
I am a social work student, so it is financially possible for me to date only well-established orthopedic surgeons and trial lawyers. I am currently dating four of each to get through graduate school.

(Yes, that's a joke...)

Several women in my Ph.D. program met their significant other online, and subsequently married him during grad school (myself included). I would go so far as to say that most women in my program who met a guy during grad school and married him met him online. Is this pattern happening at other schools? At the time we met, my husband was a PhD student in psych at another university about 40 miles away.

Several women in my Ph.D. program met their significant other online, and subsequently married him during grad school (myself included). I would go so far as to say that most women in my program who met a guy during grad school and married him met him online. Is this pattern happening at other schools? At the time we met, my husband was a PhD student in psych at another university about 40 miles away.

I can only speak to my program, but I don't know if this has happened much (if at all) with individuals I know. I believe all the people who got married while in the program had already been dating their now-spouses prior to enrolling.

Online-dater and happy (but not yet married) here! I'd say the vast majority of my single friends here are doing the online dating thing. I'm pretty satisfied with how it's working out for me.

People in my program have turned to online dating too. I think it also depends on whether you live in a place where you can easily meet others (e.g., big city) or a small city.

Ready. Set. Terrible.
First, I hope you stay more up to date on your psych lit than you do your divorce lit. Get out of the 90s, pal. We are back below 50% now. Quite a bit below actually and we have for some time now. A simple Google search would have done it (you didn't even have to read that blasted peer-reviewed nonsense for this one), but as usual, your laziness has resulted in more inaccurate info for would-be graduate students. Congratulations.

Second, you said:

Which is just plain dumb...
and not at all the same as saying a 50% divorce rate.

You are a terrible, terrible poster. I hope your internet crashes...

Thats called "Breaking-up" with a boyfriend/girlfriend. If thats your attitude towards marriage, then I feel sorry for you.

I think this is a sensitive topic for erg.

Please stop being so catty, it hurts SDN.

The 50% rate isn't really accurate to state even when it was the case. It means that half as many people get divorced as get married in one year, so it's not necessarily the same people divorcing. It's a very misleading statistic.

Also, my fiance is an undergrad and I'm a grad student (although he is older than I am). We're in very different fields though and he's never even taken a psychology course.