Deciding between being NY vs NJ resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

greygales

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've spent all my life in NJ until college, and my family still lives there, but I have the option of moving to NY and becoming a resident before my application cycle. My question is where should I stay to optimize my chances of getting into a medical school? As some background, my cGPA is 3.6, and my sGPA I am trying to bring up to a 3.5 by the time I graduate so I'm a bit worried about my chances. I fear that if I end up sticking to one, it diminishes my chances of getting into the other.

I hear that NJ has strong instate bias, whereas NY not as much though, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it. I'll be applying both MD and DO.