This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRickJames

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I feel very fortunate to be in a position where I am deciding between these two schools and am looking for any information that the good people of SDN feel is important to consider when making this decision.

I liked both schools when visiting and think I would feel comfortable at either one. I am more curious as to:
- How well the schools prepare you clinically
- How the research opportunities compare (I know neither are big on research)
- Which school prepares you better to specialize (I know neither are big feeder schools)
- Which school am I less likely to regret (asking for what its worth)
- Things that you know that I may not have thought of

- Tufts: Is the large class size a problem?
- BU: Why are so many people bashing on you? Are you secretly on the come-up with all the recent changes such as group practice?

More or less I really feel that I could go to either and that's what is making the decision so difficult. I would love to be a GP but I am interested in specializing so even though I am prepared to work as hard as I can at either school I want to make sure I am giving myself the best resources possible for this.

Feel free to address part or all of this post or to mention any additional insight that might be helpful for me or the many people like me in this particular dilemma.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Are both the same cost? This should be the primary factor in making your decision!

I think both schools are pretty similar but I heard that there are more research/academia opportunities at BU. Both provide the same opportunity for clinical training. Tufts is easier to get to via public transport (its on the red line) and BU can only be reached via buses. I know that at Tufts, you are responsible for scheduling your own patients but they also have a systems approach to learning, which I really liked. At BU, they schedule patients for you but I also don't really like the area that BU is in. My deciding factor was that I got a 120K scholarship at BU and nothing at Tufts, so BU it is! A secondary factor is that I know two other friends who will be attending BU, making that decision easier.

In the end, you're going to get the same degree from both, go where you like!

Reactions: 1 user
Tufts is on the red, green, and orange line. Also the silver line. Many say that because Tufts is much more accessible than BU, they have a bigger patient pool. Tufts also has a superior reputation, especially to people in the New England area, if that matters to you. Tufts dental facilities are also way nicer and much more updated than BU. Cost is really the same between the two. I was in the same position as you, and I ended up choosing Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are both the same cost? This should be the primary factor in making your decision!

I think both schools are pretty similar but I heard that there are more research/academia opportunities at BU. Both provide the same opportunity for clinical training. Tufts is easier to get to via public transport (its on the red line) and BU can only be reached via buses. I know that at Tufts, you are responsible for scheduling your own patients but they also have a systems approach to learning, which I really liked. At BU, they schedule patients for you but I also don't really like the area that BU is in. My deciding factor was that I got a 120K scholarship at BU and nothing at Tufts, so BU it is! A secondary factor is that I know two other friends who will be attending BU, making that decision easier.

In the end, you're going to get the same degree from both, go where you like!

What do you mean by a systems approach to learning? Also at BU do you ever have problems (if that year) or have heard of problems with the clinic? Seems like theres a lot of older BU drama on this forum I'm just wonder if thats something you still see there currently.

Any particular reason?

What do you mean by a systems approach to learning? Also at BU do you ever have problems (if that year) or have heard of problems with the clinic? Seems like theres a lot of older BU drama on this forum I'm just wonder if thats something you still see there currently.

What I mean by system based learning is that students learn the sciences broken down by organ systems rather than anatomy, biochem, pathology, etc. Also I'm not a student yet but I emailed 4 current students ranging from D1-D4s and they all said that clinic time wasn't a problem at BU. Also talked to an alum who graduated from BU and he's now a lecturer at Harvard and BU, and he also works in private practice. Seems like all the bad info is pretty dated.

Reactions: 1 users
I chose tufts. Would've been happy to choose BU but all the pros just added up better for Tufts. I also dental assisted for a year so APEX didn't seem that appealing.

Tufts all the way. Heard only bad things about BU and how they have an inferior complex and all that jazz. No thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Tufts all the way. Heard only bad things about BU and how they have an inferior complex and all that jazz. No thanks.

Haha didn't seem all that bad. Are the bad things you've been hearing from recent sources? There's definitely a lot of less than flattering comments on this forum but all of that seems pretty dated and all I've been hearing recently are pretty positive reviews.

Haha didn't seem all that bad. Are the bad things you've been hearing from recent sources? There's definitely a lot of less than flattering comments on this forum but all of that seems pretty dated and all I've been hearing recently are pretty positive reviews.

Hey broski, you made the right decision. That's all you need to know lol. I can go on in detail but it wouldn't be professional, nomsayin'?