Declaring Pre Med as a Junior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroscientologist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am declaring pre med neuroscience as a junior with 71 credits. I plan on trying to take all of my pre med reqs Fall 17, Spring 18, Summer 18, and Fall 18.

I have no prior XP in this field however I am a fast learner (rather unmotivated usually), 3.7 GPA but I'm sure I could do better if I tried. I just haven't had the passion for anything in college so far. But something new struck me when I discovered Neurology so here I am as serious as can be. I feel motivated and ready to take this on but I am not sure if I know what I'm getting myself into. I'm really good at tests and really dislike homework. Luckily, my connection in the pre-med neuroscience program says it's exam-based and there's little to no homework so I can spend more time studying.

Concerns for undergrad: Chem, Organic Chem, MCAT & Studying

I want to graduate spring 2019, dec 2018 if possible.. I realize I have to finish some of the chem courses to get into organic chem so that makes a minimum of 4 semesters.

I plan on volunteering for the local hospital and job shadowing neurologists. Should I shadow other doctors too for medical school? Even if I am set on Neurology? I'd assume it'd look good on a Med School app.

How should I start preparing? When?

When should I take the MCAT? Possibly the end of next summer? Use this semester to get started, study over winter break, study in the spring&classes, & study in the summer. I do not want to burn out. Say over winter break and summer break.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should I shadow other doctors too for medical school?
Yes. I would recommend shadowing a family doc as well. Don't pigeon hole yourself into not being able to apply to schools that are mission based. How do you know you're set on neurology? Adcoms will want to know this if you plan on making it a large part of your application, so having other specialties to compare to will help.

How should I start preparing? When?

This is somewhat vague... Preparing your application? Yesterday according to SDN. I would reach out to some area hospitals about volunteering to make sure this is something you really want. Preparing for the MCAT? That really depends on what you're involved in, your comfort with the topics, etc. I would recommend 3.5-4 months of studying full time if you can manage. There are a few excellent study plans on here.

When should I take the MCAT?
The conventional wisdom is to take your MCAT early enough so that you can still apply day 1 with a score and/or retake and still be early in the application cycle with that 2nd score. Burn out is a very real thing. I would dedicate as much time as you can to the MCAT and eliminate as many e/c's as you can. This will be difficult given you have little healthcare experience.

Hi Coltuna,

Thank your for your helpful reply. I will start volunteering soon. I have a second cousin who is a Doctor - would volunteering/shadowing him be a good choice? Not sure if being related to your volunteer XP would be a bad thing.

I will look for some study plans. =)

What kind've ECs do you suggest? I've played Intramural basketball the 5 semesters I've been in college. I took a singing class and I do want to take choir - I practice singing almost every day of my life (discovered 2 years ago) and have learned so much - life changing - from this alone. I did community service for 20 hours cleaning up a park (nothing to show for it though like a cert. but i could get one maybe.) I lost 110lbs before entering college and how it got me first into health. I love to work out, run, and kayak. I've began writing my personal statement but I Will continuously work on it until I finish college or submit apps.

I chose neurology because in my personal mind and life, I constantly ponder philosophical thoughts about the universe, stars, the galaxy and at the center of the universe is our brains and consciousness - the way the universe experiences itself. So by learning how the brain works, I'm learning about the universe and it is personally satisfying - it's something I can see myself constantly learning and evolving. This ties into Neurology because I feel like I have a gift of helping people - lots of people say I'm comforting, intelligent, honest, caring, and very empathetic - I can feel how anyone else feels as if it is my own. I believe I would serve as a great asset to society by doing what I love and incorporating it to fulfill my role here on Earth. A lot of things I learn are reality-changing, mysterious, and mind blowing. I can't get enough of the mysterious complexity of our reality and perceptions of reality.

Hi Coltuna,

Thank your for your helpful reply. I will start volunteering soon. I have a second cousin who is a Doctor - would volunteering/shadowing him be a good choice? Not sure if being related to your volunteer XP would be a bad thing.

I will look for some study plans. =)

What kind've ECs do you suggest? I've played Intramural basketball the 5 semesters I've been in college. I took a singing class and I do want to take choir - I practice singing almost every day of my life (discovered 2 years ago) and have learned so much - life changing - from this alone. I did community service for 20 hours cleaning up a park (nothing to show for it though like a cert. but i could get one maybe.) I lost 110lbs before entering college and how it got me first into health. I love to work out, run, and kayak. I've began writing my personal statement but I Will continuously work on it until I finish college or submit apps.
Try not to cater your extracurricular activities to what you think ADCOMs will like. Obviously be involved in some volunteering and healthcare experience but outside of that, do things you really enjoy. You're more than welcome to shadow your cousin; however, LOR's from family members are often not accepted, so I would recommend shadowing another physician as well. I just want to make sure you know that shadowing isn't technically volunteering. Though you're volunteering your time, these are 2 different options on the application and you can't double-dip.

It looks like you're new to SDN (like today new haha), so be careful on here. Many (read most) people on here are the cream of the neurotic pre-med crop. If you spend a lot of time on here, you will become discouraged lol. I would suggest using the search function from day one. Simply browsing the forums as a new pre-med will drive you crazy.

It sounds like you're very passionate about neurology, so this is definitely a good start. I got interested in the human body after watching the movie Osmosis Jones, so you're light years ahead of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I just want to make sure you know that shadowing isn't technically volunteering. Though you're volunteering your time, these are 2 different options on the application and you can't double-dip. "

I did realize they are two separate entities. Say I job shadowed my cousin, and then was offered a volunteering position - would that be acceptable? Or should I not do both at the same place ? Since family members can't do LOR (although, I've never met him), I probably should limit my work here and try to focus on another doctor for that. Maybe I can volunteer about 100 hours at his office this semester (5-6 hours a week), and then move on to a neurologist in December.

I created my account today - started lurking a few weeks ago. Been searching like crazy haha.

"I just want to make sure you know that shadowing isn't technically volunteering. Though you're volunteering your time, these are 2 different options on the application and you can't double-dip. "

I did realize they are two separate entities. Say I job shadowed my cousin, and then was offered a volunteering position - would that be acceptable? Or should I not do both at the same place ? Since family members can't do LOR (although, I've never met him), I probably should limit my work here and try to focus on another doctor for that. Maybe I can volunteer about 100 hours at his office this semester (5-6 hours a week), and then move on to a neurologist in December.

I created my account today - started lurking a few weeks ago. Been searching like crazy haha.
Oh yeah that would be okay! Your plan sounds great. I would recommend exposing yourself to a few healthcare settings.

Reactions: 1 user