This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dewmongo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
im in my first semester at college and I'm planning on getting my bachelors in dental hygiene. Is this a good career choice? I've always wanted to be in the medical field and have finally decided on dental hygiene. Right now I'm taking English and intro human anatomy and physiology so I have only scratched the surface of this study.

For dental hygienists: how do you like your job? And how to stay motivated in school? I'm having a hard time staying motivated and I have 3 and a half more years left of school. Any advice welcome

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Fellow hygienist here!

First semester is the hardest because you're adjusting from high school to college, I'm assuming. I enjoy being a hygienist. Hours can get crazy and patients too. You'll manage. A balance between school and personal life is necessary. You'll drive yourself insane if you don't. There will be times you'll be stressed and want to quit...don't. It'll get better

don't limit yourself to one option, just excel in all the courses, especially the science ones, also start volunteering from the first year. Wheneve you have a summer break or winter break, volunteer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hygienist here! Power through that first semester. It doesn't get easier, in my opinion, but you fall into a routine and you get used to it. Make sure you carve out time for yourself a couple times a week and don't let anything infringe upon that. My time was going to the gym or just watching TV. A dentist that I worked for said this in my worry about applying to dental school later in life and the time it would take to do it: 4 years down the road, who will you be? Will you be someone who wonders what if or will be someone who powered through to do something they love? That motivated me when it got hard.

Hygiene is a very rewarding career and I loved it (still do). The field (as with any dental profession) is saturated but jobs are still going out if you look on employment websites. Feel free to message if you have any questions!

Reactions: 2 users
My GF just got into DH school and she's concerned about it's difficulty. You guys know how difficulty it is compared to...say a BS in biochem? Or compared to any other science 4 year degree?

My GF just got into DH school and she's concerned about it's difficulty. You guys know how difficulty it is compared to...say a BS in biochem? Or compared to any other science 4 year degree?
If you do good in undergrad, you should have no problem completing any hygiene program. A friend of mine is dping her first semester in a hygine program and she's doing good.
Also, being a hygienist is a great job. I heard some states allow hygienists to do filling procedure. I bet it won't take long for them to expand and start doing other procedures.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to discourage you, but my hygenist said to go for Dentistry. She said she was impressed with her earnings right out of school but it never really increases so if, as in her case, you end up divorced with two kids to raise, that salary will not be enough. Also, the dental practices do not provide health care insurance and certainly no 401K or other benefits that will help you save for retirement. She said too many schools now offer this degree so the market is saturated.

Hey there, I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I'm working on my BS degree in Dental Hygiene right now and I love it! Its the best decision I have made. I'm also taking some prerequisites to become a dentist in my spare time. I figure dental hygienists have a great job and dental hygiene can help me to pay for dental school. Get good grades in your dental hygiene prereqs (dental hygiene programs are very competitive to get into), learn as much as you can in your science classes, and try not to get into too much debt during undergrad. Save the student loans for post-grad.

Not a hygienist here, but know of some. They unanimously said that it wasn't the class difficulty that made hygiene school such a pain, but rather, it was the egos and pretentiousness of their hygiene professors. These hygienists did not all go to the same school and said the same thing about their experience in hygiene school. And no, not all hygienists are bad.

Hey, is anyone in the group giving away their dental hygiene decks?

Hey! I want to become a hygienist and I looked at the jobs on indeed for hygienists and everything is always part time is there any 9-5s also do you make a decent living from what you are ea

Hygienist here! Power through that first semester. It doesn't get easier, in my opinion, but you fall into a routine and you get used to it. Make sure you carve out time for yourself a couple times a week and don't let anything infringe upon that. My time was going to the gym or just watching TV. A dentist that I worked for said this in my worry about applying to dental school later in life and the time it would take to do it: 4 years down the road, who will you be? Will you be someone who wonders what if or will be someone who powered through to do something they love? That motivated me when it got hard.

Hygiene is a very rewarding career and I loved it (still do). The field (as with any dental profession) is saturated but jobs are still going out if you look on employment websites. Feel free to message if you have any questions!