Dental school Loans (misconception)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seansk

USC Dentistry Class 2010
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my personal opinion, please argue your own point maturely and without a heated argument by attacking others and more specifically attacking individuals! Please understand that I am not attacking anyone, and just making a generalization. And it is also sad that I have to put this disclaimer to avoid a heated and unprofessional discussion! It shows the level of maturity people have thus shown!

It seems that some people on SDN might not have a good understanding of how money works!! Many people become so focused on how much a school cost, they lose focus of the bigger picture!! I hear everyone advise another person to go to a certain school just because of the cost. Oh my god its so much cheaper etc etc.

Although cost is important, It should not be the focus. First of all, student loans have one of the lowest interest of almost any loan!! Once you get out, you will be more worried about the loans you take out to purchase a home, office, car, etc... Student loans become almost insignificant.

Next, even if you go to the most expensive school, it depends on how smart your are in handling your money. I think most people will rely on their profession to make them money and pay off their loans. Although this might be feasible for some. It is not reality, espeically in the bigger cities! There are hotspots of dentistry in the United States but these are the outliers.

If you want to practice and live In Los Angeles for example, where I am from, It is almost impossible to have maintain an "average" life just by the income from your profession. Dentistry usually starts around the 150 thousand range, if you're lucky. An average house in Los Angeles (Not even an expensive one) is about 1 to 1.2 million. If you do the math you will understand that even if you do go to the least expensive of school, you are not going to be able to afford such a home atleast for 10 years, not in a smart manner. (and remember this is an average house, nothing above normal). Just think about it: other costs include, Car, Car insurance, health insurance. Insurance for you hands and eyes as a dentist. Malpractice insurance! plus all the misc.

I do agree if you live by yourself, you can have a "semi-luxurious" living situation. But if you ever decide to have a family. Forget it.

If you talk to many dentist they will tell you, that their profession doesn't make them money. It is their business, their investments, their properties that will free them and retire them early. Keep this in mind next time you think about the cost of the school!! does it really matter in the big picture of life? Do what truly makes you happy and go to the school that is best for you, not best for you pocket!!

You must must must, invest, and own property, if you ever want to have the so called "good lifestyle."

To keep things fair, I believe a good lifestyle should not really be about money, it is about what makes you happy, regardless of what society thinks, if it happens to cost money then be it, if that is what truly makes you happy!

good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my personal opinion, please argue your own point maturely and without a heated argument by attacking others and more specifically attacking individuals! Please understand that I am not attacking anyone, and just making a generalization. And it is also sad that I have to put this disclaimer to avoid a heated and unprofessional discussion! It shows the level of maturity people have thus shown!

It seems that some people on SDN might not have a good understanding of how money works!! Many people become so focused on how much a school cost, they lose focus of the bigger picture!! I hear everyone advise another person to go to a certain school just because of the cost. Oh my god its so much cheaper etc etc.

Although cost is important, It should not be the focus. First of all, student loans have one of the lowest interest of almost any loan!! Once you get out, you will be more worried about the loans you take out to purchase a home, office, car, etc... Student loans become almost insignificant.

Next, even if you go to the most expensive school, it depends on how smart your are in handling your money. I think most people will rely on their profession to make them money and pay off their loans. Although this might be feasible for some. It is not reality, espeically in the bigger cities! There are hotspots of dentistry in the United States but these are the outliers.

If you want to practice and live In Los Angeles for example, where I am from, It is almost impossible to have maintain an "average" life just by the income from your profession. Dentistry usually starts around the 150 thousand range, if you're lucky. An average house in Los Angeles (Not even an expensive one) is about 1 to 1.2 million. If you do the math you will understand that even if you do go to the least expensive of school, you are not going to be able to afford such a home atleast for 10 years, not in a smart manner. (and remember this is an average house, nothing above normal). Just think about it: other costs include, Car, Car insurance, health insurance. Insurance for you hands and eyes as a dentist. Malpractice insurance! plus all the misc.

I do agree if you live by yourself, you can have a "semi-luxurious" living situation. But if you ever decide to have a family. Forget it.

If you talk to many dentist they will tell you, that their profession doesn't make them money. It is their business, their investments, their properties that will free them and retire them early. Keep this in mind next time you think about the cost of the school!! does it really matter in the big picture of life? Do what truly makes you happy and go to the school that is best for you, not best for you pocket!!

You must must must, invest, and own property, if you ever want to have the so called "good lifestyle."

To keep things fair, I believe a good lifestyle should not really be about money, it is about what makes you happy, regardless of what society thinks, if it happens to cost money then be it, if that is what truly makes you happy!

good luck to all!

USC Tuition Repayment for 10 years: $5000
$1,000,000 House for 30 years: $7000
Car Payment and Associated Expenses for 5 years: $1000

$156k a year....enjoy your ramen

Just because student loans are relatively low interest doesn't mean you should take out as many of them as possible.

In the same vein, just because you plan to live in one of the most expensive areas of the country doesn't validate spending even more on a school, because the amount of loans will be 'insignificant'.

Members don't see this ad :)
USC Tuition Repayment for 10 years: $5000
$1,000,000 House for 30 years: $7000
Car Payment and Associated Expenses for 5 years: $1000

$156k a year....enjoy your ramen

are you agreeing with me?! thats what it seems like!

are you agreeing with me?! thats what it seems like!

He isn't. Compared to a less expensive school (Say your total cost was $160000) you would be saving in the neighborhood of $40,000 a year on that 10 year loan repayment alone. That's $40,000 that could be put towards the "investment and real estate" you mentioned in your original post. Assuming a modest 8% rate of appreciation, by the time you retire (30 years) the money you spent on attending a more expensive school would be worth over $5,000,000.

Put things in perspective?

Just because student loans are relatively low interest doesn't mean you should take out as many of them as possible.

No it doesn't, I never said you should!

In the same vein, just because you plan to live in one of the most expensive areas of the country doesn't validate spending even more on a school, because the amount of loans will be 'insignificant'.

I live here because I like it here!

He isn't. Compared to a less expensive school (Say your total cost was $160000) you would be saving in the neighborhood of $40,000 a year on that 10 year loan repayment alone. That's $40,000 that could be put towards the "investment and real estate" you mentioned in your original post. Assuming a modest 8% rate of appreciation, by the time you retire (30 years) the money you spent on attending a more expensive school would be worth over $5,000,000.

Put things in perspective?

that extra 40,000 is not a liquid asset!

I am going to repost some of my posts, since I feel they raise good points. We have different opinions on handling money, and I would like to present another point of view for people to consider. Fair enough?

And just to point out, if we are going to have a mature debate, I would suggest editing the title of this thread to drop the "misconceptions" part as it insinuates that you're correct and the rest of us are mistaken. It is possible for two people to both be correct due to different points of view.

In my experience, the easiest way to create wealth is to avoid going into debt. For the record I am turning 30 next week and returning back to school. My undergrad degree was in business with a minor in accounting at a very good business school.

That is where I disagree. The way I understand your argument is "that once I graduate I am going to take on even more debt so my student loans will become insignificant." I'm not buying that.

I believe that avoiding going into debt in the first place is very important. Once I graduate I am not going to start my own office. I will work as an associate in another dentist's office to learn the trade. Nobody is saying I need to take out a loan to buy a new car right away, nobody says I need to buy a McMansion or start your own practice right away.

Next, even if you go to the most expensive school, it depends on how smart your are in handling your money.

For example, by spending wisely and minimizing the amount of debt you go into..

So using your logic, by attending a more expensive school it will make it even more difficult to purchase a house..

By the way, I think the $1.2 million price tag for a normal house is quite high. I know you can get a nice townhome for $500k in Santa Monica which is a very expenisve area right next to the beach and a very desirable area. Here are some links from a quick search:

http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=25946175#
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=26132703#aTop
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=28444127#aTop
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=29002989#aTop
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=29192196#aTop

That is where you and I differ. I believe that by being smart about going into as little debt as possible sets you up for success later on. Choosing to pay extra to live somewhere for 4 years is not a decision I would make.

I would rather pay as little as possible for a quality education, and then live wherever I want for the next 30+ years while I practice.

Everyone has heard of compound interest, so I am not going to bore everyone with explaining how it works.

With that thought one also needs to learn how to manage their money. Anyone will say taking on more debt is not the way to go.

If your argument that dentists become rich because they learn how to invest is correct, then far less dentists would be well off financially. Dentists typically become well off because of their dental skills, not because they learned how to invest in their 40's.

Very true! Although we have different view points, I welcome the chance to debate and discuss our different points of view.

Bottom line for me is the best way to make money is to avoid going into debt. I do not buy your logic that student loans are insignificant because I will take on even more debt once I graduate. That's my opinion.

Very succinct way of saying it. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Cannot argue with that. Seansk said himself that investing is the best way to get rich, and what better money to invest than all that interest you saved from picking a less expensive school.

Yes, it is. That 40k is money you are not funneling directly into someone else's hands. It is literally cash.

They're after-tax dollars too.

And that is just the inital $40k you saved from picking a cheaper school. Do not forget about all the money you saved in interest charges from that $40k that you would pay off over the next 15 years. That money saved can be invested as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to repost some of my posts, since I feel they raise good points. We have different opinions on handling money, and I would like to present another point of view for people to consider. Fair enough?

And just to point out, if we are going to have a mature debate, I would suggest editing the title of this thread to drop the "misconceptions" part as it insinuates that you're correct and the rest of us are mistaken. It is possible for two people to both be correct due to different points of view.

In my experience, the easiest way to create wealth is to avoid going into debt. For the record I am turning 30 next week and returning back to school. My undergrad degree was in business with a minor in accounting from Wharton. If you haven't heard of it, it is a very good business school.

That is where I disagree. The way I understand your argument is "that once I graduate I am going to take on even more debt so my student loans will become insignificant." I'm not buying that.

I believe that avoiding going into debt in the first place is very important. Once I graduate I am not going to start my own office. I will work as an associate in another dentist's office to learn the trade. Nobody is saying I need to take out a loan to buy a new car right away, nobody says I need to buy a McMansion or start your own practice right away.

For example, by spending wisely and minimizing the amount of debt you go into..

So using your logic, by attending a more expensive school it will make it even more difficult to purchase a house..

By the way, I think the $1.2 million price tag for a normal house is quite high. I know you can get a nice townhome for $500k in Santa Monica which is a very expenisve area right next to the beach and a very desirable area. Here are some links from a quick search:

http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=25946175#
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=26132703#aTop
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=28444127#aTop
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=29002989#aTop
http://allcities11.california.remax.com/listings/ListingDetail_r4.aspx?LID=29192196#aTop

That is where you and I differ. I believe that by being smart about going into as little debt as possible sets you up for success later on. Choosing to pay extra to live somewhere for 4 years is not a decision I would make.

I would rather pay as little as possible for a quality education, and then live wherever I want for the next 30+ years while I practice.

Everyone has heard of compound interest, so I am not going to bore everyone with explaining how it works.

With that thought one also needs to learn how to manage their money. Anyone will say taking on more debt is not the way to go.

If your argument that dentists become rich because they learn how to invest is correct, then far less dentists would be well off financially. Dentists typically become well off because of their dental skills, not because they learned how to invest in their 40's.

I Disagree Here, Every dentist I know and have talked will tend to disagree here

Very true! Although we have different view points, I welcome the chance to debate and discuss our different points of view.

Bottom line for me is the best way to make money is to avoid going into debt. I do not buy your logic that student loans are insignificant because I will take on even more debt once I graduate. That's my opinion.

I agree!! I actually agree with you, my point was not to make the loans seem disappear to nothing!! But it should not be the focus of your decision on your education! thats my opinion!

and you are right we should change the heading of the thread! but thats up to the OP.
P.S. my estimate was not on a condo, but an actual house!!

you have made you're arguement very maturely! and I respect that

They're after-tax dollars too.

And that is just the inital $40k you saved from picking a cheaper school. Do not forget about all the money you saved in interest charges from that $40k that you would pay off over the next 15 years. That money saved can be invested as well.

The 40k/year number I quoted was the entire additional cost of paying for a more expensive school over a cheaper one, but still it's a hefty sum.

But it should not be the focus of your decision on your education! thats my opinion!

Why shouldn't it? Finance seems to be about as good a parameter as any to choose a school, it's not like a certain school has any real, tangible advantage over any other (Unless you're talking to pre-dents :rolleyes: ). And to head you off at the pass, yes, it is worth some money to go to a school at which you will be more comfortable/enjoy it more. But how much of your future are you willing to mortgage for a few years of comfort?

They all award equivalent degrees, and by going to a more expensive school you're equivalently taking out a mortgage with nothing to show for it.

The 40k/year number I quoted was the entire additional cost of paying for a more expensive school over a cheaper one, but still it's a hefty sum.

Pardon me, I just skimmed the reply. I am surprised this number is not more. Before factoring in cost of living, many schools are $40k less in tuition alone than some of the private schools. Since you included interest, I would say that $40k is a conservative number after you factor in tuition differences, cost of living, plus interest, so personally I think it would be higher than $40k.

Nonetheless, you made an excellent point.

Why shouldn't it? Finance seems to be about as good a parameter as any to choose a school, it's not like a certain school has any real, distinct advantage over any other (Unless you're talking to pre-dents :rolleyes: )

They all award equivalent degrees, and by going to a more expensive school you're equivalently taking out a mortgage with nothing to show for it.

because I believe there are things far more important money! like being close to your family! but remember this is only me!

AGREED, (unless its ivy league) you should go to the CHEAPER school.

because I believe there are things far more important money! like being close to your family! but remember this is only me!

Yup, every saturday will be "bring your kids and wife/husband to work day" because your office will be open and you'll be cutting costs to pay those loans. Nothing like free labor and being close to your family.

Yup, every saturday will be "bring your kids and wife/husband to work day" because your office will be open and you'll be cutting costs to pay those loans. Nothing like free labor and being close to your family.

I'm sorry you feel that way!

oh god! and what can the ivy league offer you that a non ivy dental school cant besides the prestige aspect of it.

lol, i saw an ad the other day for a "Harvard trained dentist"....you're telling me that people out there don't think that makes you a better dentist??? That name is the ultimate in brand names....

But yeah I agree...ivy league gets you nothing in the patient's eyes.

Pardon me, I just skimmed the reply. I am surprised this number is not more. Before factoring in cost of living, many schools are $40k less in tuition alone than some of the private schools. Since you included interest, I would say that $40k is a conservative number after you factor in tuition differences, cost of living, plus interest, so personally I think it would be higher than $40k.

Nonetheless, you made an excellent point.

The differeance was 40k per year over ten years of repayment, so 400k total

ivy league doesnt mean crap if you are not a competent clinician.

My Friend...

You have no idea what is best in Life.

Check out the movie Conan the Barbarian. There is a scene:

Genghis Khan: "Conan, What is best in life?"

Conan: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

King Osric: There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his child.

and you are right we should change the heading of the thread! but thats up to the OP.

something is wrong with his medulla oblongata.

something is wrong with his medulla oblongata.

Hey Genius,

something is wrong with your cerebral cortex

the medulla oblongata is responsible for controlling several major autonomic functions of the body:
1. Respiration
2. HR
3. BP
4. reflex arcs
5. vomitting

Memory is controlled by the hippocampus located in the cerebral cortex.

(Remember this post. You will need it when you start studying for Boards:) )

Hey Genius,

something is wrong with your cerebral cortex

the medulla oblongata is responsible for controlling several major autonomic functions of the body:
1. Respiration
2. HR
3. BP
4. reflex arcs
5. vomitting

Memory is controlled by the hippocampus located in the cerebral cortex.

(Remember this post. You will need it when you start studying for Boards:) )

hahahahah ONLY on SDN. thanks for correcting me :rolleyes: but i was quoting a movie which you apparently havent seen.

I chose to attend a school that was quite a bit more expensive than my alternative. 1) I have a ton of family in the area and 2) my wife was accepted to a medical school closer

IMO, you can't put a price on a familial relationship. If I had to compare price tags on two different schools I would easily choose a school that cost over a 100 G's more if I was happier there. I **** you not. I had entirely different opinions at all the schools I interviewed at and felt very comfortable at 2 of them.

This is 4 years of your life that is going to grant you the experience necessary to conduct yourself for the next 30-40 years. I don't agree with the posts that say that tuition, etc is the all inclusive factor in basing your decision on where to attend. I just don't.

Time for bed Gnight.

Forfeiting a financially better situation for family is fine, but don't go lauding your choice as an acceptable one considered from a strictly financial standpoint , which is what it seems the OP is doing by starting a thread called "Dental school loans (misconception)"

okay, how about this...in order to get your money's worth, and have a better lifestyle in the future etc. etc....
1)Everyone that wants to do general dentistry should just choose the CHEAPEST school.
and
2) Everyone that wants to specialize should choose the schools with the highest average board scores, highest specialization rate, biggest name etc. in order to get accepted into a competive program (like ortho) in the future...

Sound better? everyone agree now? :)

okay, how about this...in order to get your money's worth, and have a better lifestyle in the future etc. etc....
1)Everyone that wants to do general dentistry should just choose the CHEAPEST school.
and
2) Everyone that wants to specialize should choose the schools with the highest average board scores, highest specialization rate, biggest name etc. in order to get accepted into a competive program (like ortho) in the future...

No, because your second point of contention isn't necessarily true either. High board scores, and specialization rates likely have more to due with the individual student then the school. Big name schools attract students with aspirations to do well on the boards and specialize, and thus they do. Simliarly, schools that are known for "clinical" programs tend to attract people who are less interested in specializing, thus they don't.

There's not necessarily a causative factor, you can specialize from any school (and many do, every single year)

I think people on SDN just like argue and just be negative....RESPECTING OTHER PEOPLES OPIONS SEEMS UNRELEVANT IN THE WORLD OF SDN, NO MATTER IF IT SEEMS RIGHT OR WRONG!! Watch in about a few post someone is gonna argue with this points.

I'm just gonna start posting random **** for people to argue about!!! you know what I'll agree with you with anything you argue...obviously "MY OPINION'' means nothing here!!! again watch someone argue with me...watch...i promise you!!!

ready? set! go tell me what i did wrong now!

RESPECTING OTHER PEOPLES OPIONS SEEMS UNRELEVANT IN THE WORLD OF SDN, NO MATTER IF IT SEEMS RIGHT OR WRONG!! Watch in about a few post someone is gonna argue with this points.

I'm just gonna start posting random **** for people to argue about!!! you know what I'll agree with you with anything you argue...obviously "MY OPINION'' means nothing here!!! again watch someone argue with me...watch...i promise you!!!

ready? set! go tell me what i did wrong now!

You used to many exclamation points.. As a matter of fact, you end sentences with an exclamation point far more often than with a period..
:D

You specifically ask for arguments, then complain when you get them. Not sure what we're supposed to do here...

You specifically ask for arguments, then complain when you get them. Not sure what we're supposed to do here...

your right i did! I asked everyone to argue immaturely! It won't happen again! by the way thanx for proving my last post!

your right i did! I asked everyone to argue immaturely! It won't happen again! by the way thanx for proving my last post!

I still don't see the misconception. So your saying more debt is not that bad in the long run because your already going to be in so much debt? Wouldn't it be nicer to have as little debt as possible? Working with several dentists they all have told me to live as thrifty as possible when in dental school because the less debt i have coming out of dental school...the faster i will be able to start making money and profiting from my training. So with that, going to a cheaper school proves to be more logical since it puts you in a more beneficial financial position in the long run. Now, your right money shouldn't be the only factor when attending a dental school (although i would say it is a big one). But with that, for more money the school must offer something more than a cheaper one in order for it to be worth it. Since in the end we're all going to receive the same degree and prestige of the school means relatively nothing, i wonder why price does not become a huge deciding factor. I'm also curious to know what cheaper school you turned down to attend USC. If you don't mind sharing, perhaps you could give some reasons to why you made your decision. If it was living in LA that you choose the school, then i guess location was a more important factor to you than money. one can argue that that is also a misconception, but of course no one can objectively argue that.

I still don't see the misconception. So your saying more debt is not that bad in the long run because your already going to be in so much debt? Wouldn't it be nicer to have as little debt as possible? Working with several dentists they all have told me to live as thrifty as possible when in dental school because the less debt i have coming out of dental school...the faster i will be able to start making money and profiting from my training. So with that, going to a cheaper school proves to be more logical since it puts you in a more beneficial financial position in the long run. Now, your right money shouldn't be the only factor when attending a dental school (although i would say it is a big one). But with that, for more money the school must offer something more than a cheaper one in order for it to be worth it. Since in the end we're all going to receive the same degree and prestige of the school means relatively nothing, i wonder why price does not become a huge deciding factor. I'm also curious to know what cheaper school you turned down to attend USC. If you don't mind sharing, perhaps you could give some reasons to why you made your decision. If it was living in LA that you choose the school, then i guess location was a more important factor to you than money. one can argue that that is also a misconception, but of course no one can objectively argue that.

yes your right!! I'm wrong!

yes your right!! I'm wrong!

Relax seansk, I am not bagging on you. I am actually genuine in my post. If you have time, please reply in kind.

Relax seansk, I am not bagging on you. I am actually genuine in my post. If you have time, please reply in kind.

I have personal/private reasons, family reasons that I do not wish to share on SDN. In the grand scheme of things...It is not worth it for me to move away! I understand the Idea of money is important to many people, especially in the dental field. Many people seem to deny they went into the dental field for the money! maybe you did or maybe you didn't...but the fact that someone puts money at the top of their list in terms of picking a school is does not fit with me! I rather stay with a loved one that I know might not be around forever than to save a million or two million dollars going to another school. But if money is your thing then fine...go for it!! This is the misconception I talk about...In my mind this is a misconception...and its just my opinion and thats what it is!!

I do ask every single person that is deciding on a school... What are your deciding factors. or do what is best for you!! This is because I respect their opinion and their situation!

I feel it is not constructive to give answers such as "go to this school def, its way cheaper, you'd save 100 grand"

I fell it is more constructive to give facts and experiences out and let the person who asked the question decide...

again these are my opinions and I can't emphasize that enough!! you don't necessarily have to agree with it...but you don't have to be immature about it either!

to answer your question: IN MY OPINION, my dental school loan is insignificant to the grander scheme of life! this is the misconception! I think there Are things that are far more important that should be the deciding factor besides money!! M-Y O-P-I-N-I-O-N

I have personal/private reasons, family reasons that I do not wish to share on SDN. In the grand scheme of things...It is not worth it for me to move away! I understand the Idea of money is important to many people, especially in the dental field. Many people seem to deny they went into the dental field for the money! maybe you did or maybe you didn't...but the fact that someone puts money at the top of their list in terms of picking a school is does not fit with me! I rather stay with a loved one that I know might not be around forever than to save a million or two million dollars going to another school. But if money is your thing then fine...go for it!! This is the misconception I talk about...In my mind this is a misconception...and its just my opinion and thats what it is!!

I do ask every single person that is deciding on a school... What are your deciding factors. or do what is best for you!! This is because I respect their opinion and their situation!

I feel it is not constructive to give answers such as "go to this school def, its way cheaper, you'd save 100 grand"

I fell it is more constructive to give facts and experiences out and let the person who asked the question decide...

I agree. When deciding a dental school, one should consider the school for its entire package and not just its price tag. However, it is also a misconception to say that people who want to go to a cheaper school does it because they are all about money. If i were to go to pharmacy school, or optometry school, money would still be a big factor in my decision making. Its mostly because debt is a financial obstacle and its nice to avoid obstacles. Now if i had reasons like you, then my decision would change. However, when people speak of criteria on choosing a school, one of the most obvious objective factors is...choose the school that will provide you the best deal. Its like when you go purchase a computer, are you gonna spend 4 times the amount on one computer over the other if they both function exactly the same? no you wouldn't, because that would be fiscally irresponsible. Now, if you have some personal reasons for picking that comp, then all bets are off. Of course, you stated that we were speaking in generalities.

I agree. When deciding a dental school, one should consider the school for its entire package and not just its price tag. However, it is also a misconception to say that people who want to go to a cheaper school does it because they are all about money. If i were to go to pharmacy school, or optometry school, money would still be a big factor in my decision making. Its mostly because debt is a financial obstacle and its nice to avoid obstacles. Now if i had reasons like you, then my decision would change. However, when people speak of criteria on choosing a school, one of the most obvious objective factors is...choose the school that will provide you the best deal. Its like when you go purchase a computer, are you gonna spend 4 times the amount on one computer over the other if they both function exactly the same? no you wouldn't, because that would be fiscally irresponsible. Now, if you have some personal reasons for picking that comp, then all bets are off. Of course, you stated that we were speaking in generalities.

I agree with in everything except you don't go to school for the best deal, you go for where YOU will (and for each individual its different) get the best education! this is another good deciding factor. Just like you would pick the computer that will best fit YOUR NEEDS!

and

If anything is a misconception in this thread, THIS is it right here. :laugh: SHC1984 It is not the school who makes you, It is what you make of yourself.

To the OP: I think people would be more respectful of your opinion if you didnt make your opinion seem so absolute. Not everyone will agree with your personal perspective on "I am going to have loans later in life so dental school loans dont matter, lets just add them to the pile of loans." theory.

I agree with in everything except you don't go to school for the best deal, you go for where YOU will (and for each individual its different) get the best education! this is another good deciding factor. Just like you would pick the computer that will best fit YOUR NEEDS!

Hey man, that's just his opinion! Why would you disagree with someones OPINION when it's just their O-P-I-N-I-O-N!!!!

Apparently in this thread there's no such thing as objectivity, so why are YOU allowed to disagree and argue when no one else is? Hey pot, I'd like to introduce you to kettle.

Hey man, that's just his opinion! Why would you disagree with someones OPINION when it's just their O-P-I-N-I-O-N!!!!

Apparently in this thread there's no such thing as objectivity, so why are YOU allowed to disagree and argue when no one else is? Hey pot, I'd like to introduce you to kettle.

LOLOLOLOL armorshell, you are going to make him pout again so please just agree with his personal perspective on dental school loans. :laugh:

LOLOLOLOL armorshell, you are going to make him pout again so please just agree with his personal perspective on dental school loans. :laugh:

from what ive seen on SDN, the ppl who go to high priced schools tend to try to justify to everyone why their school is worth the price tag. its probably because they are insecure about their decision.