Dentistry SUCKS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just kidding!

This forum has been a great resource for myself. Everyone here clearly loves dentistry (myself included) and has devoted their professional lives to it. However, no profession is perfect. I have heard nothing but good things said about dentistry, and I was wondering if there was any aspect of dentistry that you may not like or, outright hate. And please, no more talk about dental suicides, I think we have already covered that topic.

Personally, I am an individual who likes a changing environment. I enjoy working in different locations (ie traveling to different countries). Being a sole propriotor of a dental practice means that I will be in one location for 90% of my career. Its not a HUGE deal for me, but it is something that I could live without.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Stay as an assoicate and hop around from practice to practice :D

Don't fret. There are many opportunites sponsored by chartitable organizations to travel the world and treat disadvantaged populations. You can even make a full time career of it if financial gain is not your primary goal. Or you can devote a few weeks or month per year out of your private practice to the same effort if you seek a more balanced situation. I would suspect that possessing health care provider credentials opens up more doors to experience this world than any other human endeavor.

Members don't see this ad :)
" Being a sole propriotor of a dental practice means that I will be in one location for 90% of my career."

You can choose way of practising depending on your liking, if you don't like to be in office all the time, can choose academic position, where you will get variety of work, teaching, research and clinics.

You can go to conferences /conventions which are usually arranged at nice places and throughout world.

well, if you like only travelling and different locations, football is better than dentistry. :D

Are there any statistics that breakdown how much dentists earn on average being associate, sole proprietor, etc...?

The only stats that I pull up are overall average for the profession.

BAD BREATH!!! and people who salivate a lot so you have to continue hearing that sucking sound from the suction tube.