Dentistry Vs Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Medicine is a calling? I have heard this many times in books, personal statements, and t.v shows. I am sure there are many physicians who feel this "calling," but I doubt the majority of physicians feel this way.

-The physician I have been working with for over a year told me one time "it is all about the money." Those words hurt me like a knife to the heart. He is a family physician btw so I do not know what money he is referring to..
-An Oncologist I shadowed did nothing but complain about the loss of respect in the field, the lack of money he makes, but nothing about any such "calling."
-An ENT I shadowed told me about how he was sick of the field and was going to attend an IVY league MBA program and switch to business.

Maybe I have had too many experiences with "bad" physicians and not enough "good" ones.

Probably the 200k+ he makes a year?

Is that not a lot to some people?
 
Thank you all for your posts. I thought this thread would be dead by now.

Honestly I think I was just having a bad day when I posted this.. the first two fears I stated are still valid but the last one about rigor I would like to retract. Both fields are challenging but I am confident I can succeed in either one. I guess, as many of you stated, it all comes down to what I will enjoy doing. It all comes down to what will give me the motivation to push hard to get through the tough times. I do not know which one is the right choice. I will let the cards fall where they will for this application cycle, all my apps have been sent anyways...

I have been in training for a scribe position and the job should start this week. I am also going to get xray certified so I can work in a dental office. You guys have been great but I think actually working in both fields will give me a better understanding of both fields and help me decide which one to choose.
 
Thank you all for your posts. I thought this thread would be dead by now.

Honestly I think I was just having a bad day when I posted this.. the first two fears I stated are still valid but the last one about rigor I would like to retract. Both fields are challenging but I am confident I can succeed in either one. I guess, as many of you stated, it all comes down to what I will enjoy doing. It all comes down to what will give me the motivation to push hard to get through the tough times. I do not know which one is the right choice. I will let the cards fall where they will for this application cycle, all my apps have been sent anyways...

I have been in training for a scribe position and the job should start this week. I am also going to get xray certified so I can work in a dental office. You guys have been great but I think actually working in both fields will give me a better understanding of both fields and help me decide which one to choose.

If you get accepted to both a dental and medical school, maybe you should consider deferring a year. This will give you more time to reflect on what is the best option for you. Just do what you feel will make you happy in life. If it's not medicine, that's OK. If you think you'll be happier as a dentist, then go to dental school.
 
Last edited: